Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#125614 - 10/27/03 02:36 PM Wildfires
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I just wanted to make sure all of our California BOLers are OK. It looks incredibly scary out there these days and so close to large cities. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#125615 - 10/27/03 03:31 PM Re: Wildfires
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
We had a tense Sunday. I came to the office Sunday morning but within an hour it became obvious it wasn't the place to be. Smoke and falling ash was dense. Fire jumped the 52 freeway and started coming into the commercial area our office is located in. Firefighters kept it from speading to office buildings.

Our Daughter and family had to evacuate their home as well as many of our friends. These areas are still off limits today and it may be several days before people can return home. The mayor has asked business to tell employees to stay home today and most schools and public offices are closed.

While watching the coverage on TV we saw a very close friends home catch fire and burn to the ground. Having a personal tie to the family and having spent many pleasant hours in their home was really devastating to watch. Its so sad to know there are 900 other families that have lost so much, and its not over yet.

I am in the office this morning as we have an important on line product demonstration to conduct, but after that we are closing for the day. The smell of smoke is very strong and not condusive to working in.

Return to Top
#125616 - 10/27/03 03:38 PM Re: Wildfires
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I tend to make fun of California and Californians, but this is serious. Our prayers are with all of those who have suffered a loss due to these fires.

Return to Top
#125617 - 10/27/03 03:38 PM Re: Wildfires
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Don, you and other CA BOLers take care. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I saw last night on TV that they had to move the Monday Night game because they are using Qualcomm stadium for a shelter. I hope that this thing ends soon.

Return to Top
#125618 - 10/27/03 03:42 PM Re: Wildfires
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Don,

I hope everyone is ok. I know we closed all of our branches down there. Please keep us informed as to the situation.

Return to Top
#125619 - 10/27/03 04:01 PM Re: Wildfires
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
And I'll keep praying for a lot of rain for all of you.

Return to Top
#125620 - 10/27/03 05:50 PM Re: Wildfires
Anonymous
Unregistered

In Orange County the ashes are falling like snow. The sky is gray. I have lived here all of my life and have never seen anything like it.

Return to Top
#125621 - 10/27/03 05:56 PM Re: Wildfires
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Don, best of luck to you and your family. My prayers are with all of our BOLers in CA.

Return to Top
#125622 - 10/27/03 05:58 PM Re: Wildfires
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Prayers from Oklahoma also.

Return to Top
#125623 - 10/27/03 05:59 PM Re: Wildfires
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
We have a few employees that are not able to get to work. I'm keeping an eye out for the news since one of the fires is about 10 miles from my neighborhood. Fortunately, the winds tend to blow away from my neighborhood in that area so I've got my fingers crossed that there will be no new hot spots.

The weather prediction calls for more marine offshore airflow starting tomorrow which should bring cooler temperatures and more moisture.

The news reports have been all over the map about the number of homes destroyed - in the same day I've heard between 200 and 900 homes.

Makes the supermarket and transit strikes seem very unimportant.

Return to Top
#125624 - 10/27/03 06:15 PM Re: Wildfires
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with all of you who are in harm's way.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#125625 - 10/27/03 08:31 PM Re: Wildfires
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Quote:

Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with all of you who are in harm's way.

Especially the firemen and women. They are doing a heckuva job! On the freeway this morning, a convoy of 10 or so fire trucks and other vehicles went by, heading down to Don's area, I'm sure. Fire departments from all over the state have been called in to help.

I'm in Orange County - we continue to get smoke and ash is falling all over, but there are no fires here.

Return to Top
#125626 - 10/27/03 11:08 PM Re: Wildfires
Michelle D Offline
Gold Star
Michelle D
Terminator Country
We have branches up in the mountains, one has been closed since the fire department evacuated the town on Saturday - in addition once they can go home (hopefully) it will be an additional 2 - 3 days before they have power. They shut off the power to keep the lines from exploding if trees fell on them.

Fortunately all are safe - the same cannot be said for all of their homes.

Return to Top
#125627 - 10/27/03 11:35 PM Re: Wildfires
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Thoughts your way from Texas, and for the men and women putting their lives on the line to protect others - again, they have proven themselves to be the real heroes!!!

Return to Top
#125628 - 10/27/03 11:41 PM Re: Wildfires
amccary Offline
amccary
Nevada
Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all...by way of your neighbors in Nevada.

Return to Top
#125629 - 10/27/03 11:50 PM Re: Wildfires
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Don: I, too, will hold you up in prayer.

Return to Top
#125630 - 10/27/03 11:57 PM Re: Wildfires
CEB Offline
CEB
California
The really sad thing about these fires is that the fire that is threatening our mountain homes was arson. I speak for everyone up here when I say we sincerely appreciate your prayers.
Thanks

Return to Top
#125631 - 10/28/03 12:32 AM Re: Wildfires
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Thank you all for your generous regards which are appreciated. My family is fortunate that we lost nothing, but there are many not so fortunate who do need all our support. The GUESS of the day is somewhere between 300 and 500 homes and 200,000 acres have burned and its not over yet.

The fire stretches for miles and is now moveing to the east and south county.

Return to Top
#125632 - 10/28/03 01:40 AM Re: Wildfires
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
KTLA (Channel 5) has a map of the fires on their website. Hope this link works:
Wildfire map

If you are familiar with the area, then you will understand just how much acerage is up in flames.

Return to Top
#125633 - 10/28/03 06:39 PM Re: Wildfires
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
A day late but thoughts and prayers to all California BOLers from your friends in Massachusetts!

Return to Top
#125634 - 10/28/03 06:57 PM Re: Wildfires
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I know Don's probably away from the office by now, but I'm hoping all is well with him and all of the BOLers out there in CA.

I heard that my aunts home is gone and they're worried the entire neighborhood is wiped out She can't get in to see if anything is left, but is assuming the worst.

I hope the winds die down soon, and yes, please keep your fingers crossed not only for the folks who live there, but the firefighters. That's one of the most dangerous jobs out there and in fires like this, they often get trapped in terrible conditions. They're definately heros!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#125635 - 10/28/03 07:03 PM Re: Wildfires
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
My cousins are ok for the moment, but they're all watering their houses down 24/7. So scary.

Return to Top
#125636 - 10/28/03 09:45 PM Re: Wildfires
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I can't even imagine a wall of fire like they have been showing on the news... i just pray that everyone stays safe!!!! a life is always much more important than things!!!

Return to Top
#125637 - 10/29/03 05:36 AM Re: Wildfires
CEB Offline
CEB
California
The fire reached our mtn home today and we had to evacuate- You can't believe the stench of the smoke and the way it burns the eyes- My family is staying with relatives, but the Red Cross is helping out thousands, I would like to invite all BOL'rs to make a donation to the Red Cross.
Thanks all!
Chuck

Return to Top
#125638 - 10/29/03 02:32 PM Re: Wildfires
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Chuck, we are praying for you, your family and friends. Hope your home is spared. Keep us posted and stay safe.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2