Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#126058 - 10/28/03 03:58 PM Bank Auditor
KatH Offline
New Poster
KatH
Wisconsin
I am thinking about expanding my education as a bank auditor and am wondering what types for schooling are available. What types of bank auditors are there besides internal bank auditors? Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Top
Audit
#126059 - 10/28/03 04:29 PM Re: Bank Auditor
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
I guess I'm a bit confused. Do you want an audit profession outside of banking? There are internal or external auditors. Internal auditors work for the bank, external auditors work for a CPA firm (usually) and are hired by the bank to conduct audits. What is it you are wanting to do exactly?

Return to Top
#126060 - 10/28/03 04:43 PM Re: Bank Auditor
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
There is the ICBA's Certified Community Bank Internal Auditor school. It is 2 weeks long and can be taken 1 week at a time. I am sure there are others out there, but if you are a community bank this is a good one. Also, you may want to get certified in compliance either through the ICBA compliance certification program or through the ABA's program.

Return to Top
#126061 - 10/28/03 06:34 PM Re: Bank Auditor
KatH Offline
New Poster
KatH
Wisconsin
I'm looking to advance my career as an Internal Bank Auditor and was wondering what types of programs are available. I wanted to know what types of Internal Auditor's there are, like certified, etc.

Return to Top
#126062 - 10/28/03 08:08 PM Re: Bank Auditor
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
This thread will provide you with a good starting point.

Return to Top
#126063 - 10/29/03 02:40 AM Re: Bank Auditor
JoAnne Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Contact your state's banking association and ask them if they offer any bank auditing schools. Michigan Bankers Association offers a number of schools geared towards bankers, bank auditors, lenders, etc.

Return to Top
#126064 - 10/29/03 07:02 AM Re: Bank Auditor
Joe Offline
Joe
Overseas
I am a bank auditor and I am a (CIA) Certified Internal Auditor and a (CISA) Certified Information System Auditor and I am working on my ACI Dealing Certificate. Doors are open for you. Go for it. Check www.theiia.org and www.isaca.com for more info. Good luck

Return to Top
#126065 - 10/29/03 01:13 PM Re: Bank Auditor
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I addition to those already mentioned, BAI (www.bai.org) sponsors a certification as a Certified Bank Auditor. And IIA has, in addition to it's more comprehensive Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) program, a more specialized certification as a Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA).

Return to Top
#126066 - 10/29/03 02:19 PM Re: Bank Auditor
Roun Offline
southeast
Has anyone out there taken the exam for the Certified Financial Institution Auditor? I have looked into it and have purchased the study cd. I was curious as to how many insurance questions are on the test and how hard the test is? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#126067 - 10/29/03 02:38 PM Re: Bank Auditor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps most important to you is the value that the certification will have for you; i.e., will it complement your current skill set, will it provide you with additional recognition. Industry-recognized certifications such as CPA, CISA, CIA, CFE help to promote a profile of audit competency. Unfortunately, the converse is true with some other bank-audit-related certifications which are of marginal to fair value. You have to be honest in your research and due-diligence. Preparing and passing the CIA, CISA, or CFE examinations is no cake-walk; and it should be obvious that the CPA examination, even in the new computerized version, is almost never passed for all sections on the first attempt. Banking and financial institution risk is continually changing, and it would appear that the certifications that will offer the widest recognition are those most considered to be of value across industries; i.e., CIA, CFE, CISA, CPA, etc.

Return to Top
#126068 - 11/04/03 10:02 PM Re: Bank Auditor
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
In my opinion, for what it is worth, unless you are new to audit, it would be more useful to undertake training in the areas/ products that you are/ will be auditing than in "pure" auditing.

If you don't understand the products, practices, and regulations for the function that you are auditing then all your knowledge about auditing will do you little good. .... And these skills and qualifications will also help you if you ever want to leave audit for a "line" role.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z