Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1261840 - 10/05/09 06:56 PM Using positive bal in escrow for past due loan pmt
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
I think the answer is NO, but I need confirmation:

If a borrower has a positive balance in their escrow account (due to collecting for FP insurance premiums) and going forward, the bank is NOT going to escrow for these premiums, instead, they will be added to the loan balance, we were going to send the borrower a check for their positive escrow balance.

Loan officer would like to apply this amount to the loan to bring down the total amount past due.

I say No, since this is money the borrower paid back to us for FP premiums. If there is an excess and we are no longer escrowing for future premiums, then we have to send the money back.

Right?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1261850 - 10/05/09 07:06 PM Re: Using positive bal in escrow for past due loan pmt Many Hats
midwestgal Offline
Midwest
Quote:
I say No, since this is money the borrower paid back to us for FP premiums.

Does the borrower owe the bank money for Forced Placed premiums? If so, that money should go to cover the FP premiums.

If not, wouldn't the right of off set be able to apply that money to any outstanding/over due payments? We would apply to the overdue payments before sending a refund to the customer.

Return to Top
#1261855 - 10/05/09 07:13 PM Re: Using positive bal in escrow for past due loan pmt midwestgal
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
The borrower does not owe us anything for the FP premiums.

Examiners are here for a S&S exam (oddly enough) and this is a file they are going to be looking at.

Return to Top
#1261917 - 10/05/09 08:20 PM Re: Using positive bal in escrow for past due loan pmt Many Hats
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Escrow money is NOT yours. You can never apply it to the loan balance.

Return to Top
#1261954 - 10/05/09 08:46 PM Re: Using positive bal in escrow for past due loan pmt David Dickinson
midwestgal Offline
Midwest
Thanks, David! That is good to know!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z