Thread Options
#1308544 - 12/17/09 07:54 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 ForceFull1
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: ForceFull1
Originally Posted By: kristin09
You cannot change the origination charge in Block 1 even for most changed circustances. HUD clarified that on their recent conference calls. We originally thought a Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac LLPA would go in Block 1 with the first box in block 2 checked. BUT since the origination charge cannot change (even if appraisal came back differently), we are putting the LLPA charge in Block 2, Box 3 (although it doesn't quite make sense!). But we can go back and change that number and the adjusted origination charges for a different appraisal that affects the LLPA and that is why we think it should go there! (Until further guidance)..

That's my interpretation too, Kristin. We are putting LLPAs and escrow waivers (0.25%) in block 2. In a way, it does make sense though. Those fees can also go against the interest rate if the customer prefers, so in a way it very much does belong in block 2 and not 1.

So, if you have a credit and a charge, you are netting all of that out and showing it either in box 2 or box 3?

I have thought all along that Box 3 (because it uses the term "points") has been refering only to discount points...ugh.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
RESPA
#1308638 - 12/17/09 08:43 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 RR Joker
Amos Offline
100 Club
USA
If you require PMI on a loan and you select the PMI company, but you are not collecting any PMI premium at closing, do you need to disclose private mortgage insurance in Block 3 of the GFE?

Return to Top
#1308641 - 12/17/09 08:44 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: David Dickinson
Originally Posted By: pjs
I have a question- secondary market loans require a survey- the title company chooses the survey company- the bank does not- would we include an estimate of the survey in with the title fee on the GFE? How would we disclose on the HUD-1 because we get a bill for the survey from the survey company and not the title company. Thanks.

This is specifically addressed in the RESPA FAQs (HUD-1 General section). It depends on who requires the fee.

9) Q: Where should the survey fee be disclosed on the HUD-1?
A: The location of the survey fee on the HUD-1 is determined as follows:
(a) if the loan originator required a survey as a condition of the loan and selected the settlement service provider, the charge for the survey must be listed on a blank line in the 800 series in the borrower's column;
(b) if the loan originator required a survey as a condition of the loan and the borrower selected the settlement service provider, the charge for the survey must be listed as part of the total in Line 1301 of the HUD-1 and itemized as applicable;
(c) if a survey was required to issue a lender‘s or owner‘s title insurance policy, the charge for the survey is part of the charge in Line 1101 and must be further itemized if performed by a third party;
(d) if the borrower elected to obtain a survey that was neither required by the loan originator nor required to issue a lender‘s or owner‘s title insurance policy, then the charge is listed in the borrower‘s column on a blank line in the 1300 series.

Although this Q&A discusses the HUD-1, we can use the "logic" to determine the corresponding GFE Block from the answer.

David! or anyone - I guess I can't apply logic where the survey charge would be shown on the HUD when Letter C would apply to us. I thought it would go under 1303 but a title company said they thought it would be itemized in the 1100 series. Thanks so much.

Return to Top
#1308745 - 12/17/09 09:30 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 pjs
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
iT SHOULD be itemized in 1100, just as it states.

Return to Top
#1308749 - 12/17/09 09:32 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 pjs
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Another quick scenario - something you typically see for 2nd Mortgage loans:

Lender has a flat "Processing Fee" usually a couple hundred dollars give or take, and this fee covers documentation, flood hazard verification, tax service, credit report, property valuation, recording and an abbreviated title report.

So on the GFE, that Processing Fee would be shown on Block A, Line 1. POC is no longer shown on the GFE so everything else will be blank.

Then on the HUD-1, all of those above fees would be scattered across the HUD-1 in their respective sections but the amount would be to the left of the column with an indication of POC.

Homeowner's Insurance would still be shown on the GFE in Section B, Line 11 and then on the HUD-1 as POC.

Do I have that right?

BTW - why didn't HUD just created a darn column for POC items instead of making us squeeze or scrawl in the margins? (Rhetorical question...)

Return to Top
#1308797 - 12/17/09 10:10 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Princess Romeo
Bville Offline
Diamond Poster
Bville
Out West
I thought if we had a flat processing fee that covered several other charges, we entered the processing fee in Block 1 (line 801) and a credit in Block 2 (line 802) for all the fees the processing fee covered. Then we entered flood, credit report, etc. (everything the processing fee covered) as though the borrower was paying them.) Everything nets and comes out correctly at the bottom of the page.

Return to Top
#1308815 - 12/17/09 10:20 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Bville
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
Bville - I agree with you. It is kinda like a "No Cost" loan.
The fees are disclosed as usual in items 4-8 & then a Negative for the fees the lender is "eating" goes in item 2, with "box B" in item 2 filled in.

Return to Top
#1308846 - 12/17/09 10:43 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Princess Romeo
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
...just a quick note about the Settlement Cost Booklet....we've always used the .pdf version. It's loaded in our software where our application forms are stored, so that when a lender prints the ap, out comes the settlement costs booklet with the ap. We don't have to depend upon the lender to remember to give the booklet. Well NOW, the booklet is 60 pages!!! We may have to go back to ordering booklets!!

Return to Top
#1308850 - 12/17/09 10:52 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Bville
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: Bville
I thought if we had a flat processing fee that covered several other charges, we entered the processing fee in Block 1 (line 801) and a credit in Block 2 (line 802) for all the fees the processing fee covered. Then we entered flood, credit report, etc. (everything the processing fee covered) as though the borrower was paying them.) Everything nets and comes out correctly at the bottom of the page.

I've heard it described both ways. The fee that is really sticking with me is the darn credit report fee - especially on a 2nd TD where typically the regular ol' Experian is run. Typically Experian (or Trans Union or Equifax - take your pick) has tiered pricing based on volume for the institution which pulls credit reports for consumer loans, credit cards, commercial guarantors, etc. Joint reports can have one tier price, individual reports another. you won't know the exact fee for at least 45 days later when the bill comes.

I looked at the requirement for "Average cost" and that's a royal pain too. No wonder a number of smaller banks are just saying "NO" to closed-end consumer real estate loans.

Return to Top
#1308858 - 12/17/09 10:56 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Princess Romeo
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
I am worried about the insurance risk when we send frail people out of the bank with the settlement book and everything else...it's going to be a heavy load!

Return to Top
#1308908 - 12/18/09 12:29 AM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Angel Eyes
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Wait until you have to translate all of it onto braille.

Return to Top
#1308924 - 12/18/09 02:08 AM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 RR Joker
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
Originally Posted By: RR joker
Originally Posted By: ForceFull1
Originally Posted By: kristin09
You cannot change the origination charge in Block 1 even for most changed circustances. HUD clarified that on their recent conference calls. We originally thought a Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac LLPA would go in Block 1 with the first box in block 2 checked. BUT since the origination charge cannot change (even if appraisal came back differently), we are putting the LLPA charge in Block 2, Box 3 (although it doesn't quite make sense!). But we can go back and change that number and the adjusted origination charges for a different appraisal that affects the LLPA and that is why we think it should go there! (Until further guidance)..

That's my interpretation too, Kristin. We are putting LLPAs and escrow waivers (0.25%) in block 2. In a way, it does make sense though. Those fees can also go against the interest rate if the customer prefers, so in a way it very much does belong in block 2 and not 1.

So, if you have a credit and a charge, you are netting all of that out and showing it either in box 2 or box 3?

I have thought all along that Box 3 (because it uses the term "points") has been refering only to discount points...ugh.

I must be missing something. Where does it say the Block 1 can not change (period)?

Page 3 of the GFE states that the fees can not increase once the rate is locked.

Page 13 of the FAQ explains the changed circumstances. Item (2) Information particular to the borrower or transaction that was relied on in providing the GFE and that changes or is found to be inaccurate after the GFE has been provided, which information may include information about the credit quality of the borrower, the amount of the loan, the estimated value of the property, or any other information that was used in providing the GFE.

Page 22 - question of the FAQ states that the fees can not increase unless there is a changed circumstance.

We are going to quote all applicable delivery fees in Block 1 with the first box in block 2 checked based on the information have at the time of the GFE. It is easier to tell a customer that the GFE provided is a worse case scenario. It clearly states in (2) if information changes or is found to be inaccurate than we have a changed circumstance. We do not lock a rate until we have all the items necessary to approve the loan. We do not approve a loan until we have the appraisal. The delivery fees, which are part of our origination charges, are dependant upon the credit score and LTV. We know the credit score at the time of the GFE because we can obtain a credit report prior to giving the GFE. If the appraisal comes back lower, than that changes the LTV, therefore we have a changed circumstance. If the appraisal comes back the same, the fees we quoted will be correct. If the appraisal comes back higher, the LTV will be lower and the fees will either be the same as quoted or decrease.

Return to Top
#1308941 - 12/18/09 04:23 AM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Carolina Blue
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Carolina Blue
Okay, our mortgage department pays a third party an underwriting fee. I've been telling them that it must be included in Block 1, Our Origination Charge, but now that I'm thinking about it why couldn't we itemize it out in Block 3? Any thoughts?

Because the instructions won't allow it. A third party underwriting fee is treated no different then a bank charge.

"Block 1, ‘‘Our origination charge.’’— The loan originator must state here all charges that all loan originators involved in this transaction will receive,.."

Return to Top
#1308956 - 12/18/09 12:56 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 rlcarey
OldSchoolBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
FL
We are considering charging a flat fee of say $750 for Line 1 "Our Origination Charge" which will cover all of the typical administarive and origination expenses associated with a loan. These include all services which HUD has identifed as block 1 items shown below. We will not itemize these fees on the GFE nor HUD-1 and some loans may or may not have all fees.
• internal processing fees
• internal underwriting fees
• DU/Investor underwriting fees
• Doc Prep fees (internal and external)
• Admin fees & wire transfer fees
• Courier fees
• 4506T fees
• Employment verification fees
• Condo questionnaire fees (HOA)
• Condo insurance verification fees
• HO Insurance verification fees
• Anti-fraud check fees
• 3rd party subordination fees

None of our fees listed are scheduled to appear in any other section of the GFE, thus we do not anticipate any lender credit on the GFE or HUD-1, nor do we anticipate reconciling the actual cost of these fees to our origination fee of line 1. If one loan does not have a subordination fee nor a condo insurance fee, we will not adjust our origination as we can document our actual origination fees to be at least the amount shown.

This seems in line with the intent of RESPA to move away from itemization and more to a simplified fee structure (though the end result is not cheaper from the borrower).

How are others handling?
Regard and Happy Holidays!

Return to Top
#1308984 - 12/18/09 01:36 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 OldSchoolBanker
shea930 Offline
Gold Star
Just wanted to let everyone know I was able to order the 2010 settlement cost booklets this morning with HUD. Call this number 1-800-767-7468

Return to Top
#1308994 - 12/18/09 01:48 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 shea930
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
OK - I called them yesterday and they said they hadn't received them.

Thanks for posting this. I'll try again later today.

Just called and ordered. Again - thanks.
Last edited by Duchess Skittles; 12/18/09 01:51 PM. Reason: Additional information

Return to Top
#1309004 - 12/18/09 02:01 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'm really on the fence with these unknown fees that some of you are saying should go in block 2 (charges). We know the origination fee charged will have to be broken out for IRS purposes (a portion of block 1) on the HUD. If you lump other charges into block 3, you would additionally have to do the same for any discount points paid.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what an "LLPA" actually is. It does sound like the escrow waiver could be something affected by the interest rate, so is it disclosable to the IRS as points? Perhaps this is where I'm confused since I'm not too familiar with those fees.

Return to Top
#1309010 - 12/18/09 02:09 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 RR Joker
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
This may be a dumb question asked six times already, but block 11 on the GFE, homeowners insurance, do we have to carry the cost over and include it into the charges, even though we always require the borrower to pay the premium prior to closing, and never out of the closing proceeds?

My gut says yes, but...

Return to Top
#1309038 - 12/18/09 02:30 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 #Just Jay
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
And Jay..the same is true often of the credit report and appraisal fee that is required to be paid up front...you have to disclose it and carry it over and show it on the comparison...are we going to have 1/2 a dozen credits for those things POC? ARGH.

Return to Top
#1309105 - 12/18/09 03:10 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 RR Joker
shea930 Offline
Gold Star
We have our attorney do title exam, prepare HUD, and prepare mortgage for us. Would the fee for them to prepare the mortgage go in Block 1 or Block 4? HUD's Q & A if you look under Block 1 question (6)and HUD-1 - 1100 series question (3) they totally contradict each other.

Return to Top
#1309110 - 12/18/09 03:13 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Princess Romeo
SnuffytheSeal Offline
Gold Star
State of Confusion
Originally Posted By: Princess Rooney
Wait until you have to translate all of it onto braille.

and Spanish, French, German, Russian, Portguese, Flemish, Norwegian...

Return to Top
#1309115 - 12/18/09 03:15 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 shea930
SnuffytheSeal Offline
Gold Star
State of Confusion
Originally Posted By: shea930
Just wanted to let everyone know I was able to order the 2010 settlement cost booklets this morning with HUD. Call this number 1-800-767-7468

Grrrr... I called yesterday and they told me to call back in about 3 weeks.

I just called and sure enough they took my order but said this set would be in black and white.
Last edited by respa queen; 12/18/09 03:24 PM.

Return to Top
#1309206 - 12/18/09 03:51 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 rlcarey
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Quote:

Because the instructions won't allow it. A third party underwriting fee is treated no different then a bank charge.

"Block 1, ‘‘Our origination charge.’’— The loan originator must state here all charges that all loan originators involved in this transaction will receive,.."

Thanks Randy. I know the Mortgage Manager's going to ask, so what is the difference between paying a third party to underwrite a loan and paying a third party to perform a flood determination or appraisal? RESPA defines underwriting as as settlement service so why does the underwriting 3rd party fee have to go in Block 1 but all other third party settlement services go in Block 3?

Edited: to add Randy's reply
Last edited by Carolina Blue; 12/18/09 03:53 PM.
Return to Top
#1309219 - 12/18/09 04:05 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Carolina Blue
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
If the cost of title insurance for the lender or the owner is tied to the loan amount, and the loan amount changes- is that a changed circumstance that allows you to issue a new GFE to restate Box 4 (Title Services) and Box 5 (Owner's TItle) ?

Return to Top
#1309262 - 12/18/09 04:34 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Sage
Oursisnottoreasonwhy Offline
Platinum Poster
Oursisnottoreasonwhy
Central Illinois
Does the new Hud Settlement Cost booklet get handed out with all GFE's or only purchase money as in the past?

Return to Top
Page 50 of 94 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 93 94

Moderator:  QCL