BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1265131 - 10/09/09 09:32 PM Sharing a Memory
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
In the Pancreatic Cancer thread another BOLer talked about memories to share. I though that would be something that I would like to be a part of. I have a funny one about my sister, who I lost 4 1/2 years ago:

One of my dogs had a litter.
Sister: How big will they get?
Me: Oh, about to your knees
Sister: No. I can't.
Sister: No. I just can't. Terry (husband) will kill me.
Sister: But T (son) would love a puppy. But no, I can't.

She gets in the car and starts backing down the drive-way. You see in coming don't you? Yep, she pulls back up and grabs "her" puppy and heads on home.

That dog was the biggest thing you've ever seen. He was over 30 inches to his shoulders. I mean that dog was HUGE. She loved that dog and everytime I went to their house my brother-in-law tried to get me to take that dog back! grin

Return to Top
#1265168 - 10/09/09 10:02 PM Re: Sharing a Memory HRH Okie Banker
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I lost my grandma, my Mamu, my best friend, almost three years ago. I used to play aroudn with her and snap her picture when she wasn't expecting it.

[Whiel on the phone, washing dishes, etc]
"Hey Mamu--"
[Turns around to face me]
"Wha--"
[photo snaps]

One time, when we already knew she had lung cancer, she was at the dining room table talking to my cousin. I caught her attention and took a photo. the photo was so natural--so HER--that I framed it ina red frame to match my kitchen and now it's liek she's always there, hanging out with me. Every tiem I move and unpack her, I cry. I miss her smile

Return to Top
#1265180 - 10/09/09 10:18 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Dip
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I lost my aunt in July. She was 89 years old and never had children. One of my best memories is when my sister and I would go over and spend the night. We would grill out steaks with her and my uncle (deceased 4 1/2 years now) and my sister would 'watch' him to make sure they were cooked right - we liked them rare. Then we would play euchre until about 11:00 - midnight and my uncle would go to bed. The three of us would play Scrabble until about 2:00 a.m.

I now have the Scrabble game we used to play.

Return to Top
#1265201 - 10/09/09 10:54 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Skittles
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
I remember the last time I saw my cousin, he was impressing everyone with his yo-yo tricks at my uncle's memorial gathering.

Return to Top
#1265245 - 10/10/09 03:37 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Becka Marr
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
I lost my Daddy 8 1/2 years ago to Melanoma. He died the day before my wedding. I asked to have my bouquet and wedding flowers made into his casket piece. They were very pretty up there. We knew there wasn't much time, but I wanted him to see me get married.

The funny story is this though:

Our family had gone to a movie. We walked up to concessions and piled up large popcorn, candies and large drinks. He reached in his billfold and pulled out a $5 and waited for the girl to ring up our total. When all was said and done, the total was more than $30! He said, in the most surprised voice, "Oh, well I better put this (the $5) back in here and get out something else!". Now, I never go into the movies that my husband doesn't make me quote what he said! We have had so many laughs about that!

I miss him so bad.

Return to Top
#1265420 - 10/13/09 12:00 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Happy2BHere
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Two funnies . . .

Lost my sister to cancer in 2005. One weekend before Halloween many years ago, we were riding around town (small town, not much else to do on Sunday afternoon) and discovered that the local DQ was giving away Halloween masks. We bought ice cream and got our masks. We put them on and continued cruising when we saw a little boy playing outside. We blew the car horn to get his attention, and when he turned around, he had the same mask on. Every year at Halloween I have to laugh about our DQ masks.

My grandmother was a great cake baker (scratch cakes only, please!). My favorite was chocolate layers with a fudge frosting just like the fudge she made for holidays and she knew it was my favorite. She would call me occasionally and ask me if I knew of anyone that would want such a cake. I always told her she better not be standing in the doorway 'cause I was coming for MY cake. Sure do miss those cakes. We lost her in 1979.

Return to Top
#1265501 - 10/13/09 02:57 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Bagweaver
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
My older brother passed away a year ago. Growing up, we fought a lot, typical brother/sister stuff, but when we teamed up for a common goal, we worked pretty well together. When we were kids, my dad went deer/elk hunting every year and we would make jerky out of most of the meat. The whole family loved jerky. When it was ready, my mom would put it in a pillow case and hide it from me and my brother, otherwise we would probably sit there and eat it until it was gone. Mom made it last awhile. One year, my mom was out of the house for something or other, so my brother and I decided to team up and try and find where mom hid the jerky. It took us about an hour, but we found it and we were sneaking pieces of it on a daily basis. We took quite a bit of it and pretty much caught "heck" from mom when she finally caught on to what we were doing, but it was so worth it. Good times.

Return to Top
#1265551 - 10/13/09 04:17 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Bones
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
I lost my husband 3 years ago to colon cancer, I met him when I was 17 and we were together for the next 27 years....

One of my best memories is the day we brought our new born daughter home from the hospital, we had placed her in her crib and were just standing looking at her, I said...wow, did you ever think you could love someone this much that it just takes over your whole heart...his reply...yes, I love you that much.

Return to Top
#1265568 - 10/13/09 04:36 PM Re: Sharing a Memory blvsinangels
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
smile all of these are sooooo sweet!!!!

I lost my dad 10 years ago to bladder cancer. When he was younger, in the summer whenever he was working outside he would take off his shirt when it got really hot. He had a very hairy chest. This particular night my cousin Rick came over to spend the night with us and we had a meal that had gravy with it. Well Rick didn't want to eat any gravy so he says no thanks whenever my mom went to put some on his plate...my dad piped up and said...boy you better eat that gravy...it'll put hair on your chest! Rick looks over out of the corner of his eyes at my dad and said..."boy Uncle Rog...it sure looks like you've been eating ALOT of gravy!!!" laugh laugh

Makes me double over with laughter just thinking about it now!!! laugh ....I sure do miss him so much!!!! smile

Return to Top
#1265606 - 10/13/09 05:13 PM Re: Sharing a Memory KTMiteComply
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
KTM - My sister had bladder cancer which eventually changed into other cancers.

Return to Top
#1265880 - 10/13/09 08:53 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Bagweaver
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
so very sorry to hear that! I just despise that "c" word..... frown

Return to Top
#1266108 - 10/14/09 01:51 PM Re: Sharing a Memory KTMiteComply
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
My extended family growing up was cold, for various reasons. So when I met my wife's family, it was a shock to the system. Her "Granny," upon first meeting me, gave me the warmest hug, kissed me on the cheek, and proceeded to ask me all about my life. Before I knew it, 4 hours had passed and I hadn't talked to anyone else in the family. I knew instantly that I would feel welcome in her family, Granny had approved of me so everyone else would too. This was about 10 years ago. Recently Granny had been going through more and more health issues, and after a recent trip to the hospital they found a reemergence of lung cancer coupled with persistent mini-strokes that had affected Granny's ability to move about as freely as she wanted- she had been falling more and more. The last time I talked to her, about 3 weeks ago, she was as happy as the day I first met her. She told jokes and great stories as always, but had some trouble getting around. When I asked her how she was doing, she said fine. She wasn't going to go through chemo because she was ready to go and didn't want to spend her final days in agony. She knew that time was coming to a close and wanted to enjoy whatever time she had left. I told her that I wish that I was as wise as her some day. She promised that if I kept spending time with her, I'd just maybe have a chance. But probably not. laugh

Granny passed on last night. She got her wish- she died at home, in her sleep, next to the man that married her 60 years ago. The family gathered before the funeral home came to get her body and everyone had their goodbyes. I can imagine no greater grace in death than what she showed us.

Return to Top
#1266111 - 10/14/09 01:56 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Buccs
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
So sorry about your loss. What a great woman.

Return to Top
#1266201 - 10/14/09 03:19 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Bagweaver
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
So very sorry to hear this Buccs....will be thinking of you guys...I agree with OBG...What a great woman indeed! smile

Return to Top
#1266836 - 10/15/09 12:03 AM Re: Sharing a Memory KTMiteComply
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Buccs - how lucky for you to have known such a wonderful person. What treasured memories you will always have!

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1266847 - 10/15/09 12:53 AM Re: Sharing a Memory Tigg
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
wow, Buccs. That teared me up. So sorry for your loss. I had a Babcia like that. She made my husband, who came from similarly 'cold' circumstances, feel welcome too. It is one of my last dreams that someday, someone will speak of me that way too.

Return to Top
#1266851 - 10/15/09 03:10 AM Re: Sharing a Memory Truffle Royale
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Wow Buccs, going thru what I'm going thru gives me peace with my brother. What a truly great story you can pass down to future family members. May she rest in peace and God bless all of you.

Return to Top
#1266855 - 10/15/09 09:55 AM Re: Sharing a Memory tahdah
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Buccs, what a beautiful story, about a beautiful woman. She has left a lasting legacy....

I am so sorry for your loss!

Return to Top
#1266890 - 10/15/09 12:26 PM Re: Sharing a Memory TINKerBell
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Buccs, she was a tremendous lady and a wonderful gift to you and the family.

Return to Top
#1266911 - 10/15/09 12:44 PM Re: Sharing a Memory TINKerBell
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Very touching story Buccs.

I lost my brother nearly 18 years ago shortly after the first of the year. He was 13 years older than me and technically my "half" brother since we had different fathers, but to me he will always be my brother.

He had a very difficult life, battling poorly controlled juvenile diabetes he had many health issues which led to blindness and eventually kidney failure. He also had many personal tragedies in his life - going through a divorce, not being able to work due to health problems, etc. He taught me so much.

Whenever anyone went to visit him at his house (he lived on our old family farm by himself until about the last year of his life) you never sat in the living room with the TV. Everyone gathered in the kitchen for coffee or tea around the table and talked. I can not tell you how many hours I must have spent at that table talking to him.

The last Christmas he was alive, we were well aware that it would be his last with us. He had moved to my parents house as he could no longer get around and take care of himself. That Christmas eve, my parents both had to work so I went over to spend the evening with him. Though he had been so sick he had hardly gotten out of bed for a week, he was remarkably strong that evening and came out to my parents kitchen and sat at the table with me to drink tea. We talked like old times and had a wonderful evening. The next day he was too weak to come out to celebrate Christmas, but I will never forget that one last night at the kitchen table.

Return to Top
#1267130 - 10/15/09 03:48 PM Re: Sharing a Memory thomasj
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I have loved reading about each and every wonderful people we were so lucky to have had in our lives.

ThomasJ - my family grew up at the kitchen table. I always remember, as a child, all the adults sitting and laughing and drinking coffee. When my mothers family came together it was always laughing and always at the table!

Return to Top
#1267178 - 10/15/09 04:15 PM Re: Sharing a Memory HRH Okie Banker
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I had an uncle pass away shortly after my brother and I told my family that if there were one kitchen table in heaven, those two definitely would find it. I can see my brother with his tea mug and my uncle with his coffee with canned milk smile

Return to Top
#1267186 - 10/15/09 04:20 PM Re: Sharing a Memory HRH Okie Banker
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
thomasj- what a great story.

Return to Top
#1267379 - 10/15/09 06:55 PM Re: Sharing a Memory Buccs
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I bet it is a big table. I know quite a few Germans that will be sitting there too.

Return to Top
#1267431 - 10/15/09 07:22 PM Re: Sharing a Memory HRH Okie Banker
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
You folks are makin my teary-eyed!

We lost my hubby's sister 5 years ago this month to cancer. Michelle had a smile that could light up the whole room, but her eyes are what people remember most about her. She was one of those people whose soul could be seen through her eyes.. laughter, sadness, happiness.. her eyes always told on her.

She was much older than my hubby.. She spoiled my husband rotten from the time he was born. She wanted children, but miscarried, never trying again. Michelle always had a tender spot in her heart for him. I'll never forget hearing her laughter when she spotted my hubby in his mom's slippers. Such a silly little memory, but remembering her laugh makes me smile. It was infectious.

I've always said that the lines "And if you were with me tonight/ I'd sing for you just one more time/ A song for a heart so big/ God wouldn't let it live" (Jimmy Eat World, Here You Me) were meant for Michelle. She was the most tender-hearted, sweet-spirited woman I've ever known.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett