Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1268974 - 10/19/09 05:19 PM Illegal to keep cash in safe deposit box?
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
The other day I was asked "Is it illegal for a customer to keep cash in their safe deposit box?"

I said No, it is not, and truthfully, we are not supposed to know the contents of a customer's box. However, some did not believe me.... so I told them I would post a question. We are a Texas bank, and I have looked at Chapter 59 of the Texas Finance Code.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1268988 - 10/19/09 05:42 PM Re: Illegal to keep cash in safe deposit box? PStateBank
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is not illegal unless you have reason to believe or knowledge of a crime having been or is being committed. Example: money laundering; money from ill gotten means Bank robbery from another place, ect.

Many elderly people from the "Depression Era" don't trust deposit's in the financials, but do trust Cash and safe deposit boxes. Generally, Federal & State Law protects the honest Safe Deposit Box users rights to privacy as long as its on the up & up. You should have a policy of "Don't ask Don't tell" unless the activity is reasonable suspicious from the facts know. Then file a SAR or call the local Law.

#1268996 - 10/19/09 05:47 PM Re: Illegal to keep cash in safe deposit box? Anonymous
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
LOL... so much for being anonymous!!!!

#1270202 - 10/20/09 09:42 PM Re: Illegal to keep cash in safe deposit box? PStateBank
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Well, since you're not supposed to know what's in your customer's box, how would anyone know? (Ask them that, just for kicks....)

#1272715 - 10/23/09 04:29 PM Re: Illegal to keep cash in safe deposit box? RBanker
Anonymous
Unregistered

What if a customer comes in with $20,000 in cash, deposits it into a savings account and later (few days or even weeks) comes back withdrawls the $20K and puts in his/her safe deposit Box.

Would you file SAR on the deposit? And if you know they withdrew the $20K just to pretend or actually put into a safe deposit box, wouldn't that be suspicious too?

#1272730 - 10/23/09 04:39 PM Re: Illegal to keep cash in safe deposit box? Anonymous
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
There would have to be more to the story before I would reach the SAR level.

#1273571 - 10/26/09 03:54 PM Re: Illegal to keep cash in safe deposit box? BrendaC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suspicious Activity Report - the key is a reasonable suspicion that the activity is a reportable event. As long as made in good faith without any malice toward the suspect. It doen't mean you should become a detective or nosey about what you observe. Let the professionals (Feds) find out what's going on if they ever get around to it?

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale