Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1271004 - 10/21/09 08:21 PM We know when they come in...
buggs Offline
Power Poster
...But we don't know if they leave. Why?

Eight years after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and despite repeated mandates from Congress, the United States still has no reliable system for verifying that foreign visitors have left the country.

New concern was focused on that security loophole last week, when Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, a 19-year-old Jordanian who had overstayed his tourist visa, was accused in court of plotting to blow up a Dallas skyscraper.

Last year alone, 2.9 million foreign visitors on temporary visas like Mr. Smadi’s checked in to the country but never officially checked out, immigration officials said. While officials say they have no way to confirm it, they suspect that several hundred thousand of them overstayed their visas.

Read Article

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1271009 - 10/21/09 08:23 PM Re: We know when the come in... buggs
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I dont know why, but it scares the heck out of me.

Return to Top
#1271022 - 10/21/09 08:34 PM Re: We know when the come in... kms
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Why? We don't have a War on Terror. We now have an Overseas Contingency Plan. ::hopeychangey emoticon::

Return to Top
#1271065 - 10/21/09 08:58 PM Re: We know when they come in... buggs
Peepers Offline
10K Club
A simple solution would require those here on visas to take a time release tablet when they enter the country.

When their visa expires, the tablet releases minerals in their system that causes gigantism thus enlarging their heads.

This will make easier targets for Bob Barker to adminster skinny microphone beatings while showing them the border.

Return to Top
#1271067 - 10/21/09 09:00 PM Re: We know when they come in... buggs
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: ynnuB sguB
...But we don't know if they leave. Why?

Eight years after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and despite repeated mandates from Congress, the United States still has no reliable system for verifying that foreign visitors have left the country.

New concern was focused on that security loophole last week, when Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, a 19-year-old Jordanian who had overstayed his tourist visa, was accused in court of plotting to blow up a Dallas skyscraper.

Last year alone, 2.9 million foreign visitors on temporary visas like Mr. Smadi’s checked in to the country but never officially checked out, immigration officials said. While officials say they have no way to confirm it, they suspect that several hundred thousand of them overstayed their visas.

Read Article

This seems to be an unlikely cause for you to support, Bugs.

Return to Top
#1271106 - 10/21/09 09:50 PM Re: We know when they come in... Jokerman
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
This seems to be an unlikely cause for you to support, Bugs.

I'm not sure why you think that, J. Maybe it's because I usually just keep my opinions to myself because I don't have too much new to add to discussion on these topics in the 'Cooler.

Return to Top
#1271140 - 10/21/09 11:12 PM Re: We know when they come in... buggs
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I didn't mean it as a criticism, I just don't know a lot of folks who are as sensitive to civil liberties as you who are also worried about immigrants overstaying their visas.

Return to Top
#1271148 - 10/21/09 11:34 PM Re: We know when they come in... Jokerman
buggs Offline
Power Poster
J, that's probably because the people who are overly sensitive to the rights of immigrants don't understand (or choose to ignore) the bigger issues that cause the problem to be with us in the first place. Giving immigrants civil rights equal to Americans doesn't fix anything and only will make the problem worse. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge this truth is selling something.

Return to Top
#1271258 - 10/22/09 01:07 PM Re: We know when they come in... Peepers
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Originally Posted By: Kodos
A simple solution would require those here on visas to take a time release tablet when they enter the country.

When their visa expires, the tablet releases minerals in their system that causes gigantism thus enlarging their heads.

This will make easier targets for Bob Barker to adminster skinny microphone beatings while showing them the border.

Implant micro-chips when they come in. Track by satellite.

Return to Top
#1271267 - 10/22/09 01:17 PM Re: We know when they come in... Bagweaver
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
i love it

Return to Top
#1271275 - 10/22/09 01:20 PM Re: We know when they come in... kms
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
I like that too ObG! Wouldn't it be great if we could.

Return to Top
#1271291 - 10/22/09 01:26 PM Re: We know when they come in... Snow Bunny
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Just like we do cats and dogs, the technology is there.

Return to Top
#1271321 - 10/22/09 01:45 PM Re: We know when they come in... kms
Peepers Offline
10K Club
can we spay and neuter them too?

Return to Top