Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1269903 - 10/20/09 06:10 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Tigg
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Tigg Bones
I have a friend who lives where H1N1 outbreaks are now happening. Both of her kids are immuno-compromised. She's on a list for the vaccine. Scarey!

Same thing is going on here. My daughter is on a list (she's on anti-rejection meds, thus is immunocompromised). She was already exposed to it at daycare and school and has been given tamiflu, just last week.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1270001 - 10/20/09 07:15 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People QCL
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I won't be getting the vaccine. Haven't this far in life and don't see a reason to change. I normally don't get sick, so if I do I do and will come out stronger.

Return to Top
#1270004 - 10/20/09 07:15 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Bacon Boy
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
ditto

Return to Top
#1270032 - 10/20/09 07:30 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Miscuit
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Same here.

Return to Top
#1270046 - 10/20/09 07:42 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Ops
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
they are giving it to the kids in school here, starting with the older kids but they think they will run out by the time they get to the younger kids because they need 2 doses. If you have had it once, can you get it again?

Return to Top
#1270092 - 10/20/09 08:12 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People kms
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Thought that I'd read somewhere that they'd gotten it down to one dose instead of two. I hate needles. I really don't want the one much less two shots - that will be three shots this fall just for the flu! AAARRRGGG!!!

Return to Top
#1270295 - 10/21/09 11:40 AM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People QCL
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Originally Posted By: QueenChop'dLiver
I have a friend who lives where H1N1 outbreaks are now happening. Both of her kids are immuno-compromised. She's on a list for the vaccine. Scarey!

Same thing is going on here. My daughter is on a list (she's on anti-rejection meds, thus is immunocompromised). She was already exposed to it at daycare and school and has been given tamiflu, just last week.

I hope the Bear stays well and gets her shot soon!

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1270299 - 10/21/09 11:56 AM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Retired DQ
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: Deekles
Originally Posted By: THEMANOFSTEEL
Originally Posted By: Deekles
My company is contracting our HIP to come in to give us all shots... great...

I mean, nice thought, but I got the flu last year from the shot.

How? It is dead virus. Do you mean you got some flu-like symptoms? Or maybe the shot they gave you was prior to a mutation of the strain

I was out on my back for a full week with aches, pains fever and cough. I never had the flu in my life before this.

DQ is right. I know a couple of people who got really sick after the flu shot. Flu like symptoms and all. Out for a week. Won't get the flu shot again.

I'm like Baconboy- never got the shot and won't. Will survive anyhow.

Return to Top
#1270312 - 10/21/09 12:24 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People pjs
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
PJS, it is not the actual flu a person gets from the shot though, unless they were infected before the shot and did not know it. The virus is dead in a flu vaccination and thus no virus is multiplying in the body causing a massive response of antibodies. What is happening is likely the equivalent of an allergic reaction to the presence of the dead virus.

Return to Top
#1270315 - 10/21/09 12:27 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Bacon Boy
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: BaconBoo
I won't be getting the vaccine. Haven't this far in life and don't see a reason to change. I normally don't get sick, so if I do I do and will come out stronger.

I agree.

Return to Top
#1270322 - 10/21/09 12:35 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People TheManofSteel
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: THEMANOFSTEEL
PJS, it is not the actual flu a person gets from the shot though, unless they were infected before the shot and did not know it. The virus is dead in a flu vaccination and thus no virus is multiplying in the body causing a massive response of antibodies. What is happening is likely the equivalent of an allergic reaction to the presence of the dead virus.

Ok, I know what you are saying.

Return to Top
#1270392 - 10/21/09 01:37 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People pjs
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
One co-worker came down with H1N1 here. Our schools have been hit pretty hard with our middle school having around a third of the students out sick.

Return to Top
#1270699 - 10/21/09 04:58 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Tigg
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: QueenChop'dLiver

I hope the Bear stays well and gets her shot soon!

Thanks! Me too.

Side note - Does Obama or any of the heads at the CDC own Roche stock? (The company that makes Tamiflu) I just wondered it to myself when giving the bear her last dose of the gross stuff.

Return to Top
#1270709 - 10/21/09 05:06 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People QCL
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
Two of the ladies here in this building - their kids have had H1N1 & was no bigger deal than regular flu.
My Nephew in Co. Springs - both sons have it at the same time & are doing fine.
Seems to just be a [censored] shoot at to which kids it will hit harder even they have no underlying health issues ???

Return to Top
#1270810 - 10/21/09 06:23 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People ktac MITCH
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
It hit me hard, but my kids did not get it. To me it was much worse than the regular flu, I actually thought i was going to die, and as a single parent i didnt know what to do.

Return to Top
#1271566 - 10/22/09 04:09 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People kms
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
My family got hit, it is everywhere here. The kids had fever and headaches for a day or so. My wife has been coughing for going on two weeks. I was on my back for five days, fever, chills, headaches, some head and chest congestion, and now dizziness. It's worse than any flu I've ever had.

Return to Top
#1271569 - 10/22/09 04:10 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Bankster
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
My sons eardrum ruptured the other day, I cant get him into the doc until next tues and they told me not to go to the emergency room due to all the h1n1, and this is a military hospital

Return to Top
#1271583 - 10/22/09 04:16 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People kms
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
you know how they talk about this most effecting those under 65, that is what happened in the pandemic of 1918. We were preparing for the bird flu to do this, that why we all had to put pandemic procedures into place but most were written on how we would react to the bird flu and what it would do.

Return to Top
#1271584 - 10/22/09 04:17 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People kms
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
no freakin vaccine left around here. That's why I hit Vitamin Shop and loaded up on immune system boosters

Return to Top
#1271592 - 10/22/09 04:20 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People kms
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
So far, in my house just my daughter has had the H1N1, the "Flu" part is over, but she can't seem to get rid of the cough and weesing(sp).

She had the fever, headache, chills, muscle soreness. Poor thing was rather miserable. The son seems to be getting the cough now, hoping he doesn't get anymore than that.

The schools seem to be filled with sick kids, from parents who can't keep them home cause thy need to go to work and don't have someone who can stay with there kids. My son said that in his class, kids were puking, coughing, sleeping.

Return to Top
#1271595 - 10/22/09 04:20 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People TheManofSteel
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I'm afraid to touch door knobs, faucets, etc.

I've taken to licking myself in place of bathing.

Return to Top
#1271764 - 10/22/09 05:50 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People DD Regs
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
So far, in my house just my daughter has had the H1N1, the "Flu" part is over, but she can't seem to get rid of the cough and weesing(sp).

She had the fever, headache, chills, muscle soreness. Poor thing was rather miserable. The son seems to be getting the cough now, hoping he doesn't get anymore than that.

The schools seem to be filled with sick kids, from parents who can't keep them home cause thy need to go to work and don't have someone who can stay with there kids. My son said that in his class, kids were puking, coughing, sleeping.

How awful. Poor kids.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1271775 - 10/22/09 05:54 PM Re: H1N1 Can Be Serious Even in Healthy People Peepers
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Originally Posted By: Kodos
I'm afraid to touch door knobs, faucets, etc.

I've taken to licking myself in place of bathing.
T! M! I!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2