Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1299354 - 12/04/09 08:58 PM Re: Reg CC Changes kristin09
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: kristin09
Question- We are going to consider all checks local with the most recent changes. I am working on revisions to our account disclosure (Based off model C-2). My question is whether or not in the disclosure we can get rid of the non-local check language and the disclosure of the routing numbers that are considered local? Can we just make the general statement that we consider all checks local checks and disclose the second business day requirement? Or do we still keep in the language regarding nonlocal checks and amend the five day rule to two days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Model form C-2 doesn't include any reference to local/nonlocal checks or routing numbers. You should be able to use it without tweaking it at all, except to insert "five" in the "(number)" spot in the last paragraph.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1299358 - 12/04/09 09:00 PM Re: Reg CC Changes John Burnett
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Question - deposits made at a non-proprietary ATM can still have a 5 day hold, correct?

These changes would not affect 229.12 (f) - unless I'm missing something?

This most likely affects the CU's since banks typically do not participate in cooperative ATMs.

Return to Top
#1299373 - 12/04/09 09:14 PM Re: Reg CC Changes Princess Romeo
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
There's nothing in the elimination of "nonlocal" checks that would change the application of 229.12(f). Of course, the Fed could amend other parts of the regulation, and nothing is sacrosanct, but I don't see any reason that provision would be changed.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1299541 - 12/04/09 11:09 PM Re: Reg CC Changes John Burnett
UFrecmgmt Offline
New Poster
Austin, TX
Thank you Sir.

Return to Top
#1299766 - 12/07/09 02:48 PM Re: Reg CC Changes UFrecmgmt
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Ok, I realize that this is a stupid question; however, I have not been in the compliance arena for a couple of years and am very new to deposit regs and have just gotten promoted to Compliance Officer. I am reviewing our Reg CC disclosures and want to make sure I understand the new time frames that need to be disclosed with the check processing region changes.

Our disclosure is modeled after C3, so if I understand correctly, we need to change "fifth business day" to "second business day" and under the new account rules we must make everything available by the 9th business day after deposit, correct? Also, this would trigger us to give our customers notification within 30 days of implementation, correct?

Thanks so much for helping a newbie!

Return to Top
#1299768 - 12/07/09 02:50 PM Re: Reg CC Changes Dani York, CRCM
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Correction to my last post, under new account rules, we have to make everything available by the 7th business day, is that right?

Return to Top
#1299951 - 12/07/09 04:39 PM Re: Reg CC Changes Dani York, CRCM
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
The New Account hold is not affected by the consolidation. Under New Account Exception Hold, you first swap out "on-us" checks for Traveler's Checks for "Next Day" items. You can hold Next Day item amount above $5,000 for 9 days (giving Next Day availability for the first $5,000.)

Everything else you can hold for as long as you want. Most banks have simply gone with 7 or 11 days for New Accounts to avoid having all sorts of Availability Schedules lying all over the place. Set a time period that you feel comfortable for both risk management and customer service.

It's the non-New Account holds (Regular Availability, Case by Case and all other Exception holds) that you will only have the local schedule (2-Day or 7-Day) to use.

Return to Top
#1299952 - 12/07/09 04:40 PM Re: Reg CC Changes Dani York, CRCM
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You had it correct the first time. There is nothing changing under the new account exception hold at 229.13(a).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1301353 - 12/08/09 10:02 PM Re: Reg CC Changes John Burnett
Denovo Co Offline
Gold Star
NM
I guess I'm questioning why we have to change anything right now. Until there is no longer checks that would be considered non-local checks; our disclosures are still correct. We may still have deposits made from the Atlanta processing district that are non local and subject to our standard hold policy.

Am I missing something here? We haven't made disclosure to our customers regarding quicker availability and weren't going to until there is only one check processing region left.

Return to Top
#1301834 - 12/09/09 05:07 PM Re: Reg CC Changes John Burnett
brainOverload Offline
Gold Star
brainOverload
DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: John Burnett
Originally Posted By: UFrecmgmt
John,
Can the message below be considered as the proper notice language?

Effective immediately, funds deposited into your account will generally be available for withdraw the next business day. In some cases, we may delay your ability to withdraw deposited funds until the second business day after day of deposit. Direct Deposit funds will be available the day we receive the deposit.

Thank you!

If you change the first "withdraw" to "withdrawal" it will be proper if it accurately reflects what your bank's policy is.

We would not have to give any notice prior to or after the 12/12 changes would we...just the final consolidation and when everything is all local?

Return to Top
#1303055 - 12/10/09 08:27 PM Re: Reg CC Changes brainOverload
brainOverload Offline
Gold Star
brainOverload
DFW, Texas
We would not have to give any notice prior to or after the 12/12 changes would we...just the final consolidation and when everything is all local right?

Return to Top
#1303881 - 12/11/09 07:14 PM Re: Reg CC Changes John Burnett
kristin09 Offline
Originally Posted By: John Burnett
Originally Posted By: kristin09
Question- We are going to consider all checks local with the most recent changes. I am working on revisions to our account disclosure (Based off model C-2). My question is whether or not in the disclosure we can get rid of the non-local check language and the disclosure of the routing numbers that are considered local? Can we just make the general statement that we consider all checks local checks and disclose the second business day requirement? Or do we still keep in the language regarding nonlocal checks and amend the five day rule to two days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Model form C-2 doesn't include any reference to local/nonlocal checks or routing numbers. You should be able to use it without tweaking it at all, except to insert "five" in the "(number)" spot in the last paragraph.

I apologize. I meant Model Form C-5. That is what we currently utilize and want to do away with non-local holds.

Return to Top
#1304602 - 12/14/09 01:46 PM Re: Reg CC Changes kristin09
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I question the wisdom of sticking with C-5 unless you think you'll benefit from being able to hold a deposit until the second, rather than the first, business day following the banking day of deposit. Does that one day buy you anything? Think about dropping local check holds and going instead with next day availability plus exception holds (C-2). Atlanta will be gone within three months, so why not avoid doing this in two steps?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1314935 - 12/29/09 10:14 PM Re: Reg CC Changes John Burnett
BSBIA Offline
New Poster
John - I have a quick question for clarification. We are a small bank and our Reg CC policy resembles C-3. The only change we made fell under the heading "Longer Delays May Apply" where I changed 11 days to 7 days. I sent out a brief notice to all deposit customers. "Our general policy us to allow you to withdraw funds deposited in your account on the first business day after the day we receive your deposit. Funds from electronic direct deposits will be available on the day we receive the deposit. In some cases, we may delay your ability to withdraw funds beyond the first business day. Then, the funds will generally be available by the second business day after the day of deposit." Can you tell me if I should send out the full policy to the "Longer Delays May Apply" section? Thank you so much.

Return to Top
#1314979 - 12/29/09 10:54 PM Re: Reg CC Changes BSBIA
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you changed your policy to reflect that 7 days will be the limit on exception holds instead of 11, that's something you technically should inform current customers of. It is a change in policy in favor of customers, so you have 30 days from implementation to get the word out.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1317175 - 01/04/10 08:38 PM Re: Reg CC Changes John Burnett
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I have a question as to how this affects our float days we have setup. Since everything will now be local, would we only be allowed to have a float day of 1?

Return to Top
#1317434 - 01/04/10 11:55 PM Re: Reg CC Changes Queen Mum
ImGoinNuts Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
I have a question as to how this affects our float days we have setup. Since everything will now be local, would we only be allowed to have a float day of 1?

Float is my concern also - considering we haven't changed a thing for years. I'm looking for guidance in that area. FYI fed announced Atlanta last week http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/bcreg/20091231a.htm

Views expressed are my own and not those of my employer.

Return to Top
#1317445 - 01/05/10 12:06 AM Re: Reg CC Changes ImGoinNuts
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Float is solely generated based on when you provisionally collect on your transit items from the Fed or correspondent to whom you forward them. If you haven't updated your transit/float tables and also pay interest only on collected funds, you most likely have a Reg. DD violation and could be setting yourself up for a breach of contract class action lawsuit.

Return to Top
#1317490 - 01/05/10 11:25 AM Re: Reg CC Changes ImGoinNuts
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
As rlcarey indicates, your ability to delay interest accrual is not affected by consolidation of the check processing regions. It is based on the clearing arrangements actually used by your bank and intertwines Regulations CC and DD.

Although it is not provided for in Regulation DD, I have seen regulators order banks to pay restitution when they delayed interest accrual based on unsupported 2 and 5 day time frames for local and nonlocal checks. The practice could also be easily labeled as "unfair and deceptive."

Return to Top
#1317514 - 01/05/10 01:41 PM Re: Reg CC Changes John Burnett
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Just to clarify, when Atlanta merges with Cleveland there will be no more non local checks. That being said, our current disclosures model C-4 (same day, next day, 2 day, 5 day, exceptions). Is it OK:

1. To remove the 5 day reference and keep same day, next day, and 2 days?

2. For the longer delays may apply section to change the reference 7 days?

3. For special rules on new accounts to continue disclosing certain deposit(cash, wires, first $5000 of cashiers, certified checks, travelers checks, state and fededal checks first business day after deposit, over $5000 ninth business day after deposit, not in person under $5000 will be available second business day after deposit, and funds from all other deposits on the 10th business day after deposit?

Return to Top
#1317552 - 01/05/10 02:30 PM Re: Reg CC Changes lucyc
bstritecky Offline
Gold Star
sd
We use model C-2 (next day availability and exception holds. It currently states that if we invoke the exception hold we could delay the availability for five days. Based on what I am reading, does this 5 day change to 2 day?

Return to Top
#1317553 - 01/05/10 02:31 PM Re: Reg CC Changes lucyc
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
lvc,

Model form C-4 is for a delayed availability bank. Assuming your bank wishes to retain that classification, I may not understand some of your questions.

This language referencing next day availability items that do not meet conditions for next day availability:

If you do not make your deposit in person to one of our employees (for example, if you mail the deposit), funds from these deposits will be available on the second business day after the day we receive your deposit.

would remain unchanged.

This language, referring to exception holds:

We will notify you if we delay your ability to withdraw funds for any of these reasons, and we will tell you when the funds will be available. They will generally be available no later than the (number) business day after the day of your deposit.

could contain a (number) no higher than "seventh."

The model language for the new account exception hold does not reference local vs. nonlocal checks; it is unaffected by consolidation of the check processing regions.

Return to Top
#1317563 - 01/05/10 02:38 PM Re: Reg CC Changes bstritecky
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Becky,

C-2 does not contain the word "fifth." In reference to exception holds it allows the bank to insert its own (number). Currently, that number could be as high as "eleventh." When there are no more nonlocal checks it could be no higher than "seventh."

Return to Top
#1317569 - 01/05/10 02:40 PM Re: Reg CC Changes Elwood P. Dowd
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Thank you for the clarification.

My remaining question is do the items that meet the condition of next day availability remain the same or can we invoke the 2 day hold?

Return to Top
#1317578 - 01/05/10 02:44 PM Re: Reg CC Changes lucyc
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There is no effect on the items that meet next day availability requirements. However, note that if the requirements are not met; e.g. a Treasury check is not deposited to the account of the payee, a cashiers check is not deposited in person, etc. the item may be treated as a second day availability item. That is not a change.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  John Burnett