BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#127328 - 10/31/03 04:19 PM Best / Worst Job
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I once had the oportunty to do set up / take down for a ZZ Top concert. The set up work was hard but enjoyable. When we were setting seats the band came out for sound checks. They played 6-8 songs for our little semi-private concert. The best part is that they did not play any of their own tunes! It was all Delta Blues. It was then that I reailzed they sell what they sell but that does not make it the music they enjoy playing.

Most of us would rather be playing other music.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#127329 - 10/31/03 04:23 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I used to work for an indoor paintball field. My job was to clean the field. Me and two other guys would use garden hoes and scrapers to squeeze the paint form the carpet (the carpet was old indoor tennis court carpet), then scrap it all into a giant dust pan. Worst job ever, and I only got minimum wage.

Return to Top
#127330 - 10/31/03 05:32 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
Bank on it Offline
100 Club
Bank on it
New York
I spent a summer picking strawberries, corn, beans, (you name it, I picked it) for a small local grower. I was paid eight cents a quart for the small stuff, and three dollars an hour for the large stuff. Horrible work, but I got a great tan!

Return to Top
#127331 - 10/31/03 05:37 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I think my worst job ever was babysitting when I was about 13 or 14, the children were absolute monsters! Right then and there, I decided 2 things: Never be a teacher and Never have children.
At least I stood by the first one...

Return to Top
#127332 - 10/31/03 05:46 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
During college I worked as a waitress in a "coffee shop" at the major department store here in town. Saturdays were HORRIBLE! There were times I came home slathered in hot fudge and gravy! The pay was minimal, the tips were non-existant. We didn't even get free lunches. The only positives about the job were that it did keep me on my feet and the weight off....and I do have a respect for wait staff that I perhaps would not have gained elsewhere. Also still friends with a co-worker from there...and that was 30 years ago!

Best job....when I worked in Compliance at a different bank from where I am now. I was new to Compliance and I had the most wonderful, patient and knowledgeable boss. He left...I left...but we are still in touch.

Return to Top
#127333 - 10/31/03 06:25 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Worst:

1. Picking cotton (got paid $3 per 100 lbs – it takes a lot of cotton to weigh 100 lbs )
2. Putting up hey.

Best:

1. This may sound corny, but the best job for me – Being a Grandfather.

Return to Top
#127334 - 10/31/03 06:35 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Quote:

This may sound corny, but the best job for me – Being a Grandfather.

I totally agree! We were just blessed with our third grandchild two weeks ago. We now have two grandsons and one granddaughter, all under 5 years of age. All live within 30 minutes of us, so we get to enjoy them all of the time.

Return to Top
#127335 - 10/31/03 06:39 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
RayLynch Offline
Platinum Poster
RayLynch
Best Job

In the 1970s I was a bat boy for the San Francisco Giants (still my favorite sports team) and got to "play centerfield" at Candlestick Park in a Giants uniform (at least during batting practice).

I was on the same field with 3 Hall of Famers - Willie Mays (only for a short time before he was traded to the Mets), Willie McCovey and Juan Marichal.

The late Bobby Bonds [RIP] was also on the team and after the games his then young son (under 10), Bobby Bonds, would come running into the clubhouse and slide into his father's locker [which was between Willie Mays and Willie McCovey's lockers].

It was a long time ago [pre free agency] and I got to rub shoulders with a lot of great players at the end of their careers [Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Bob Gibson, Ernie Banks, Roberto Clemente].

I have a lot of great memories.

Return to Top
#127336 - 10/31/03 06:42 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
Quote:

This may sound corny, but the best job for me – Being a Grandfather.

Same for me...except substitute grandmother for grandfather. We just had two new grandbabies born in September bringing our total to 4. Lucky me, one of my grandchildren lives with us. Not so lucky me, the other three live up North (we live down South).

Return to Top
#127337 - 10/31/03 06:42 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Bob, I'm blessed with 2 Grandsons Ages 4 and 12. The youngest is my Son's and the oldest is my Daughter's.

They both live within 10 minutes, so I'm like you I spend a lot of my spare time with them, especially the youngest. The oldest is getting to that age where it's not kewl to hang with your parents and grandparents especially since he started playing football and hanging with the team.

Return to Top
#127338 - 10/31/03 07:42 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Best: I'm sure it's out there waiting for me, but I do love this particular gig I'm up to now.

Worst: Oyster shucking is tied with working for Jeri Jump (she's out there somewhere, micro managing the hell out of some wonderful person right this second!) Actually now that I think about it, oyster shucking was better.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#127339 - 10/31/03 07:58 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Dan, our grandsons are 4 and 2 1/2. They live 4 miles from us and my wife takes care of them during the day while the parents work. The granddaughter lives 30 minutes away, and is 2 weeks old today. Can't wait to see them in their Halloween costumes in just a little while.

Return to Top
#127340 - 10/31/03 08:00 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Quote:

Actually now that I think about it, oyster shucking was better.

Dawnie, at least you could feast on the profits while you worked.

Return to Top
#127341 - 10/31/03 08:01 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I agree w/Dawnie - to this point in my life, this is my best job - Trainer to a fast growing regional bank.

Worst job - Industrial laundry at a major hospital while in high school - it paid good (Thanks Dad!) but wow - it was hot!!!!! - and long hours - all on my feet.

Return to Top
#127342 - 11/03/03 02:12 AM Re: Best / Worst Job
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
As I was recently traveling, a worst job might be the guy in the airport driving the little cart and continually, and I mean continually saying, "beep beep, cart please, make room for the cart, beep beep, cart please, make room for the cart...". And the folks on their cells are not listening at all!
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#127343 - 11/03/03 02:22 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
During the summer of my 15th year, my big brother had a friend who was into restoring Studebakers. He paid me $300. per car to use this very caustic paint stripper, to take them down to the meatal. I even got to help do a little of the body work. I can still smell that stuff in my nightmares. The upside of the job was that there were always cute guys coming in and out of our garage to check the progress. I guess in retrospect, it was the best AND worst job all rolled into one. (I sure would like to have one of the Goldwings that I worked on now!)

Return to Top
#127344 - 11/03/03 02:34 PM Re: Best / Worst Job
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Worst: I have several worst jobs: The worst of the worst was working for an interior decorator. He also owned a gift shop...I worked there...Once I accidently broke something that I was taking off of the shelf to dust. He embarrassed me in front of customers....scolding me ....Anyway...after that day I disliked him totally....I think I still do today.

Best: Sounds crazy...but working in a hospital as an aide.

Return to Top