Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1273932 - 10/26/09 07:25 PM SAR committe meeting frequency
chatty Offline
How frequently does your SAR committee meet to determine whether SAR's should be filed? Weekly, bi-monthly(assuming you have activity that may warrant filing)? Someone told me recently their committee meets monthly and I wondered if that is too infrequent. I know your policy should state the frequency.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1274001 - 10/26/09 07:57 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency chatty
EdieT Offline
EdieT
PA
We call a meeting monthly (in general). I save up all SAR's & present at one timem aking sure they all meet the 30 day timeline.
Having said that, if we feel that there is a burning reason to call a meeting, we will do so as soon as possible.
I don't believe I have read anything that requires meetings at certain intervals.

Return to Top
#1275284 - 10/27/09 07:04 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency chatty
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Personal opinion, strongly held: if a bank makes SAR filing decisions once a month it's a clear indication of indifference. The question I usually ask is "How often does your loan committee meet?" I would use that answer in comparison to the SAR committee meeting frequency as a gauge of their relative importance.

There are lots of variables here, case volume and committee structure among them, but I suggest you start with a discussion of "weekly, as necessary;" i.e. if there is nothing to talk about this week, we do not meet, but we meet in any week where there is something to talk about.

Return to Top
#1275324 - 10/27/09 07:24 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency Elwood P. Dowd
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
I make the decision as to whether or not to file SARs except in certain situations and we meet as needed in that case. Otherwise, we meet to discuss suspicious customers on a quarterly basis. We then decide when to close accounts based upon activity or when to discuss activity with a customer (such as giving them a CTR brochure if warranted), etc.

Return to Top
#1275459 - 10/27/09 09:05 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency CantBeShocked
chatty Offline
Thank you. I like weekly meetings.

Return to Top
#1275471 - 10/27/09 09:14 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency chatty
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
We meet on an as needed basis.

Return to Top
#1276438 - 10/28/09 07:41 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency J2C
EdieT Offline
EdieT
PA
Ken,
When I said monthly (in general), I should have been more specific. We went from previously (with others in the BSA jobs) filing 2 SAR's per year to me filing 25 since April 2009.
It just has seemed the need to file has happened that I'll get 3 or 4 at one time (within a week or so). The SAR Committee appreciates reviewing more than one at a time rather than one at a time since we are a rather small bank & everyone wears many hats. I TOTALLY understand the importance of timely filing, and have consistently filed as soon as possible, but out here in the real world, sometimes it's not practical to meet weekly. Don't take it as nonchalance, just practicality.

Return to Top
#1295640 - 11/30/09 07:59 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency EdieT
Wisco Crime Stoppers Offline
100 Club
Wisco Crime Stoppers
Packer Country
Can anyone tell me who is all on your SAR committee. We are looking at ours and trying to decide how many is to many and who should be included. thanks

Return to Top
#1295662 - 11/30/09 08:09 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency Wisco Crime Stoppers
Nancyod Offline
New England
BSA/Compliance Officer, Security Officer, and President/CEO.

Return to Top
#1295685 - 11/30/09 08:19 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency Nancyod
100 Club
Wisco Crime Stoppers
Packer Country
Great thanks, how do your employees notify you that there is suspicious activity? Is there a form they fill out with the information in question?

Return to Top
#1295750 - 11/30/09 08:57 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency Wisco Crime Stoppers
NewTooBSA Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
We have several methods with the most frequent one being email. Anyone who has supicious activity sends an email to the BSA Department with details of what they think is suspicious and we take it from there. Emails have their own date and time stamp so it is easy to determine when the case was received.
2nd method is phone call but again, I usually request an email with details so I can use that as the beginning date for the investigation.
We tried the form but found most people found it intimidating or time consuming so they never reported anything. Since we have changed it to an email request, everyone knows the minimum information required is: name of person conducting suspicious activity, account number if any, and what the suspicious activity is. If we research and determine we need details, we know who to contact.

Return to Top
#1295758 - 11/30/09 09:05 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency Wisco Crime Stoppers
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
We have 3 SAR committee members- VP of Operations, Security Officer and BSA Officer. We're a small bank and meet as needed.

Return to Top
#1295879 - 11/30/09 10:20 PM Re: SAR committe meeting frequency nemsi
100 Club
Wisco Crime Stoppers
Packer Country
Thanks so much for all your help.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z