Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1271893 - 10/22/09 06:42 PM Retun Mail Procedures
KimD Offline
100 Club
Tx
I was wondering if I can get any feedback concerning return mail procedures. I have read in several ICQ's that return mail (statements) are not to be opened, but we open ours and send to the appropriate departments to work. Control issue? Any insight would be great..

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1272614 - 10/23/09 03:37 PM Re: Retun Mail Procedures KimD
morirse de risa Offline
100 Club
Midwest
We do not open returned statements. Do you have different areas generating statements? Stmts are returned to one appointed person. The only issue I can think of is areas having access to this type of customer information that do not need to. We have found it more efficient having one person handle all returned mail.

Return to Top
#1272906 - 10/23/09 06:31 PM Re: Retun Mail Procedures morirse de risa
KimD Offline
100 Club
Tx
The statements are handled by our processor. They are opened by a dept. of (3) persons,filed alpha, then customer is contacted to try and get current info (using yellow return label from post office) I personally don't see why they have to open the statements?

Return to Top
#1272948 - 10/23/09 06:55 PM Re: Retun Mail Procedures KimD
Kitty Offline
100 Club
Kitty
All returned mail here is logged into a database by a designated person. If there is a yellow sticker from the post office we attempt to contact the person at that address. After the returned mail is logged we shred it. If we are able to contact the customer and receive a good address we print statement copies for them. We also put a no mail code on the system that is not removed until we have a good address. With a no mail code statements are still generated but our statement vender does not print them.
Last edited by Kitty; 10/23/09 06:56 PM. Reason: correct typo
Return to Top
#1273464 - 10/26/09 01:59 PM Re: Retun Mail Procedures Kitty
morirse de risa Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Kim D I would agree - they should have no reason to open them. The employees should not need to view any account stmt/history to research a new/good address.

Return to Top
#1276474 - 10/28/09 07:53 PM Re: Retun Mail Procedures morirse de risa
EdieT Offline
EdieT
PA
We also have one appointed person who sends a postcard to the address on the yellow sticker address, puts a message on the customer's account so tellers will see it & files by alpha for 3 months. After 3 months of returned mail, we red flag the acct & put the mail code on to stop the mailing. The red flag is to alert employees that we have lost contact with the customer & to be aware that this could contribute to identity theft.

Return to Top
#1276871 - 10/29/09 03:45 PM Re: Retun Mail Procedures EdieT
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
All are returned to internal audit and yes, here they are opened.
We use the same envelopes for several types of mailings, so in order to determine what it was and where it has to go to, they are opened.

The area that opens the statements and has contact with them is not the same area that prints and sends them.

Return to Top
#1299775 - 12/07/09 02:54 PM Re: Retun Mail Procedures QCL
Tricia Offline
Gold Star
Smack dab in the middle of IL
Is there any law or regulation that governs procedures for handleing returned mail/undeliverable mail?

Return to Top