Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#127906 - 11/03/03 06:47 PM Emailing Applications
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
Our lenders would like to email application forms to borrowers. I do not want the forms completed and emailed back since email is not secure and the apps would contain sensitive information. I am proposing icluding a warning page as the first page of the application so the borrower would have to print the warning as part of the form.
How are others dealing with this issue?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#127907 - 11/03/03 08:05 PM Re: Emailing Applications
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
We have online applications, so it is not an issue. However, you could e-mail a .pdf file attachment to be printed, completed and returned.

Return to Top
#127908 - 11/04/03 09:56 PM Re: Emailing Applications
Anonymous
Unregistered

Al - thanks for the response. By "returned" are you meaning returned via email or via snail mail? If email, does that really remove the security issue? I thought even a password protected .PDF file can be opened if someone really wants to. Am I missing something?

Return to Top
#127909 - 11/05/03 12:40 PM Re: Emailing Applications
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I was assuming he meant snail mail or fax and that would be my recommendation as well. But in most cases an encrypted file would be secure enough here. If a bank can send statements and other documents this way, it could also be used to receive documents. This is part of the e-commerce premise.

Yes, I'm sure it could be intercepted and broken into. Nothing is 100%. I would disclose that risk but personally would recognize it is a minimal risk. They wouldn't spend their time on encrypted files when it is easier to take it from a mail box or trash can where more ID theft takes place, I have heard.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#127910 - 11/05/03 10:56 PM Re: Emailing Applications
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
Indeed I meant that it would be completed in "pen and ink" and physically returned in person or by fax.

Return to Top
#127911 - 11/06/03 02:07 AM Re: Emailing Applications
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
Thanks Al and Andy -

I am going to use the warning but suspect there will be those customers who don't care and will use email anyway. Then I'll have to chat with the lenders about getting signed applications too!

Return to Top
#127912 - 11/06/03 03:26 PM Re: Emailing Applications
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I was used to getting emails from customers who told me everything I could possibly want to verify that they were the customer they claimed to be. But I would still refuse to reply with the info they wanted, last deposit date and amount, etc. and I would delete the NPPI in the reply quote.

In your case, the question will be moot as some of them will say the heck with it and email you the application whether you like it or not.

Perhaps telling them you do not accept applications in that manner will dissuade them?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z