Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1281434 - 11/05/09 03:16 PM Bipartisanship at it's finest....
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Senate Panel Approves Climate Change Bill Despite GOP Boycott

Republicans had boycotted the committee's work on the bill, insisting on a cost analysis of the proposal by the EPA.

In a rare move, Democrats on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee on Thursday approved a sweeping climate change bill without any Republicans present.

Republicans had boycotted the committee's work on the bill, insisting on a cost analysis of the proposal by the EPA.

The bill would require cuts in greenhouse gas emissions by 20 percent over the next decade from 2005 levels. But Republicans warned the bill would leave consumers with higher energy bills.

"This would be the largest tax increase in the history of America," Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., one of the seven committee Republicans, told Fox News. "I can only conclude that they don't want the public to know how much money this thing is going to cost."

Inhofe, who said the committee typically needs two minority members present to advance a bill to the floor, called the vote Thursday "unprecedented."

One Democrat, Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., voted against the bill. Ten Democrats voted for it.

"We are pleased that despite the Republican boycott, we have been able to move the bill," Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., chairwoman of the committee, said in a written statement.

She defended the decision not to seek an EPA analysis, calling such a study "duplicative and a waste of taxpayer dollars."

But it still appears unlikely that the Senate will approve the legislation this year. Inhofe said the legislation is "dead."

A bipartisan group of senators is trying to craft a compromise bill in hopes of attracting broader support.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate/c...tt.opinionPrint

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1281451 - 11/05/09 03:28 PM Re: Bipartisanship at it's finest.... MB Guy
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
It's not clear to me. Is the sick face a comment at the Republican members for all leaving the table (which they can)? Or a comment against the 9 Democratic membebers that voted for the measure (which they can)? It's hard be be bi-partisan when the "other side" won't listen or won't stay at the table, yet not all of the Democratic members voted yes.

I don't follow who supports whom on this board so I don't want to assume, but this one struck me as unclear.

Thanks!

(edit - Changed word from "stab" to "comment". I read it after it posted and "stab" came across as a negative against the poster, which was not my intent.)
Last edited by NotALawyer; 11/05/09 03:37 PM.
Return to Top
#1281453 - 11/05/09 03:30 PM Re: Bipartisanship at it's finest.... NotALawyer
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
sick <---- is for the climate change bill in general

(speaking for myself, of course)

Return to Top
#1281473 - 11/05/09 03:43 PM Re: Bipartisanship at it's finest.... Miscuit
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Miscuit

^^^^^^^^^ Agreed.

And the Yuck face is for both sides. From what I have heard, this bill is going to be enormously expensive for tax payers, and what are we doing to address the pollution that China is spewing which will surely eventually end up here?

Return to Top
#1281486 - 11/05/09 03:54 PM Re: Bipartisanship at it's finest.... MB Guy
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I read yesterday that the UN climate committee (forgot the acronym) attributes 13% of global warming to carbon emissions but 18% from meat industry (methane emissions?). Shouldn't the climate bill raise meat prices so people eat less meat? That seems to have larger impact.

Return to Top
#1281506 - 11/05/09 04:04 PM Re: Bipartisanship at it's finest.... MB Guy
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Originally Posted By: Miscuit

^^^^^^^^^ Agreed.

And the Yuck face is for both sides. From what I have heard, this bill is going to be enormously expensive for tax payers, and what are we doing to address the pollution that China is spewing which will surely eventually end up here?

The pollution has already ended up here in the form of drywall, toothpaste, lead paint on children's toys, etc. wink

Return to Top
#1281638 - 11/05/09 05:18 PM Re: Bipartisanship at it's finest.... GuitarDude
CB#3 Offline
Power Poster
CB#3
Anywhere I want to be
I get tired of the global warming propaganda. The earth is in constant flux. What happened in the Sahara? It used to be fertile before being a desert? Was that global warming? If you look at the theoretical history, Earth has experienced numerous warm ups and cool downs. Lets face, mother nature does her own thing. If you want to talk about how accurate the statistical data is, how many hurricanes were forcasted for last year and this year and how many have happened? Aren't they using similar statistical data to develop hurricane models?

I'll get off my soap box now.

Return to Top
#1281859 - 11/05/09 07:12 PM Re: Bipartisanship at it's finest.... CB#3
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
What happened in the Sahara? It used to be fertile before being a desert?

That's probably not a good example for global warming is not happening...just sayin

Return to Top