Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1282063 - 11/05/09 09:18 PM Safe Deposit Box Access Cards
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
A customer of ours is asking for copies of their safe deposit access card to give to their lawyer. The safe deposit box has joint owners.

I can't find anything in our state statutes or on BOL that addresses this scenario.

My opinion is not to provide the copies unless we get a subpeona.

I'm wondering if any other banks received this type of request and is there anything in particular that would prevent us from providing that information without a subpeona?
Last edited by lvc; 11/05/09 09:19 PM.
Return to Top
General Discussion
#1282439 - 11/06/09 03:45 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Access Cards lucyc
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Bump

Return to Top
#1282441 - 11/06/09 03:47 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Access Cards lucyc
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
Is ther anything in your contract regarding this?

Don't forget to check your state statutes for lessor/lessee rules, not banking rules.

No, we've never experienced any requests like that.

Return to Top
#1282946 - 11/06/09 08:51 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Access Cards dottiec
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
We occasionally get requests from customers for copies of their signature cards etc. to take to their lawyer for estate planning purposes, and generally try to accomodate them.

Return to Top
#1286869 - 11/16/09 02:50 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Access Cards BetsyS
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
The access cards are your property (though keep in mind, I'm not a legal counsel) so you choose what you do with them.

I think my first question would be why (couched in a diplomatic manner) - just explaining it's a highly unusual request and perhaps you can be of more assistance by understanding the purpose of their request.

My highly cynical mind initially had the thought that they're trying to look for unauthorized access....

I reviewed all the SDB books and manuals I have and did not see any commentary reqarding this type of a question.

But just realize that whatever you do sets a precendent for your institution.

Return to Top