Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1281394 - 11/05/09 02:54 PM My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)...
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
..was yesterday. And, other than the Phillies dropping game 6, and the World Series, I feel pretty good! The doctors said I blew through chemo and radiation without any problems, so I'm hoping my CT scan in January comes up negative!

It's been a long road this year, with surgery, 6 weeks of radiation, and 2 rounds of chemotherapy (during 8 of the last 10 months) to treat my colon cancer diagnosis, but today feels pretty good. I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Anyway, I don't post on this side of the cooler very much, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered encouraging words, prayers, and positive thoughts throughout the year. Someone was obviously listening... laugh

Despite everything that's happened, I still consider 2009 to be a "good" year for me. Thanks!

Return to Top
#1281410 - 11/05/09 03:02 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... FBH
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
That's good news FBH. We will continue to pray that your CT scan is negative.

Return to Top
#1281437 - 11/05/09 03:17 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... Ready to Retire
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Great news FBH, glad to hear it.

Best of luck with the CT scan!

Return to Top
#1281470 - 11/05/09 03:42 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... MB Guy
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
You're such a treat to have around. God bless you and prayers that you continue to be good and cancer free.

Return to Top
#1281483 - 11/05/09 03:52 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... MB Guy
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I am envious at the strength and positive attitude you have had in the face of this roadblock in life.

Continued prayers for a clear scan!

Return to Top
#1281493 - 11/05/09 03:58 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... #Just Jay
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
That's great news FBH. Hopefully the year coming up will be very good to you. You've had a grat attitude through all of this, so glad to hear that things are going well!

Return to Top
#1281498 - 11/05/09 04:02 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... bOaty
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Yeah FBH. Here's praying for the best news from your scan in January.

Return to Top
#1281511 - 11/05/09 04:06 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... Skittles
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Good job gettign through all this whiel still keepign up with your life (at least from what I have seen).

Curious--has getting cancer and goign through treatment changed your outlook on life or prompted you to make any changes to affect your health in a good way?

Return to Top
#1281520 - 11/05/09 04:14 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... Dip
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
So glad you're feeling good about today, and I hope you continue to feel good about tomorrow! smile

Return to Top
#1281528 - 11/05/09 04:18 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... Becka Marr
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Damn, I HATE it when I have to agree with Jay! You are a postitive example for us all, FBH. Prayers continue.

Return to Top
#1281533 - 11/05/09 04:22 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... Truffle Royale
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Great news, and continued prayers for more!

Return to Top
#1281538 - 11/05/09 04:25 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... Dip
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Dip
Good job gettign through all this whiel still keepign up with your life (at least from what I have seen).

Curious--has getting cancer and goign through treatment changed your outlook on life or prompted you to make any changes to affect your health in a good way?

I think so - I look at everything differently...And almost always positively (except for slow drivers in the left lane, and people who write out checks in the express line at the grocery store). I don't think I let things get to me at all. After making it through surgery and treatment, everything else seems like small stuff to me.

I think you learn a lot about yourself when you experience adversity, and this has shown that I can take whatever is thrown my way. It may be painful, and sometimes demoralizing, but if you keep your head, and a positive attitude, it'll see you though. Just like that old Chinese saying: "Fall seven times, stand up 8" - just keep plugging away.

Healthwise, I've changed my habits somewhat. I barely drink at all now, and if I do, it's usually just one...Unless it's Oktoberfest. I'm going more vegetarian with choices, by adding a lot of soy and vegetable based products. I've just about quit cow milk, in favor of soy. Some kind of vegetable based butter substitute, too...I forget what it's called, but I get it at Trader Joe's. I don't really like it, personally, but my body seems to react better to it. I'm also trying to halve meals in general. I try to always come home with doggy bags.

Less red meat (bummer about burgers), more fish and turkey. I haven't been able to stomach raw vegetables and fruits while on chemo, but I plan to get them back in the mix soon.

Physically, I need to get back into weightlifting. I walk my dog at least an hour every day, but I think I need more than that. I've always been a big guy, and now I'm just a big guy, not a big strong guy. I miss that.

Overall though - despite the scariness of being diagnosed with cancer at what I consider a young age (40), everything that's come from it has been positive. I think it was found early enough to cure (at least how I feel - I don't know "officially" yet), I recovered from surgery for the most part, I bounce back from treatments quickly, and I've managed to live a little this year in the process...

I'm also back to my take chances mentality I think I lost recently. You never know when you're going to check out - so experience all you can...Even if it's sitting in the yard watching birds.

Long winded...But I am a lawyer, after all.

Oh, by the way...If you live in the Mid Atlantic area - get a colonoscopy. My doctors have said they're seeing cases like mine more and more recently. Better to catch it early. Until I was diagnosed, I'd never been seriously sick, and I still have my wisdom teeth, tonsils and appendix. You just never know! Get it checked!

Return to Top
#1281692 - 11/05/09 05:52 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... FBH
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Thoughts and prayers from nola FBH.... heres to you

Return to Top
#1281789 - 11/05/09 06:47 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... doobydoobydoo
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Congrats on your last treatment! Prayers heading your way that you are now cancer free!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1281908 - 11/05/09 07:44 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... waldensouth
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
FB, what does your geographical location have to do with colon cancer?

Return to Top
#1281922 - 11/05/09 07:56 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... MB Guy
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
FB, what does your geographical location have to do with colon cancer?

Just cancer in general - but regionally it's colon, prostate and breast. I think it's the combination of chemical company concentrations in the Mid Atlantic, and that the Chesapeake Bay Watershed essentially gets all the runoff from PA/NY state...Other former industrial centers with god knows how many environmentally hazardous sites, all draining into Delaware and Maryland.

Return to Top
#1281977 - 11/05/09 08:28 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... FBH
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
I lost my husband to colon cancer in 2006.....it's always great to hear a sucess story!!!! Congratulations. Don't know you...but if I did I would give you a great big hug!!!

Return to Top
#1282003 - 11/05/09 08:47 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... blvsinangels
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
FBH - God Bless you. May your CT scan be clear.

We too have a regional increase in the cancers you listed (colon, prostate and breast) that some have been linking to the run off from an old munitions plant, that runs into a local stream and into the ground water (many in the area have well water). All this chemical runoff is scary stuff.

Congrats!!!

This made my eyes well up with tears of joy for you:
Quote:
Despite everything that's happened, I still consider 2009 to be a "good" year for me. Thanks!

Return to Top
#1282048 - 11/05/09 09:11 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... blvsinangels
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: blvsinangels
I lost my husband to colon cancer in 2006.....it's always great to hear a sucess story!!!! Congratulations. Don't know you...but if I did I would give you a great big hug!!!

Sorry to hear about that...You have my sympathy. I just got lucky, mostly. I noticed a change in my bowel movements, and decided to ask a doctor about it...and he had the presence of mind to order a colonoscopy.

Return to Top
#1282084 - 11/05/09 09:43 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... FBH
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
FBH, congrats on completing your treatment, may you never again have to go thru this. I am 12 years past Breast Cancer but I remember the last radiation treatment day very well smile

Return to Top
#1282112 - 11/05/09 10:02 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... corkygirl
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
Thinking about you friend....

Return to Top
#1282207 - 11/06/09 01:08 AM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... KTMiteComply
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Congratulations on this FBH. Prayers that your CT is clear!

w

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1282242 - 11/06/09 01:14 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... Tigg
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
it was a very good year Fightin' Blue!

here is too a better 2010!

Return to Top
#1282251 - 11/06/09 01:33 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... Pale Rider
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
FBH, I am in awe of your strength and resilience to come through something like this with such a positive attitude. You are an inspiration. Prayers that your test results come back clear and that you can walk away from this with just a few scars and your new outlook on life.

Return to Top
#1282289 - 11/06/09 02:10 PM Re: My Last Chemo Treatment (Hopefully, forever!)... thomasj
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Glad to hear the great news. smile

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett