Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#128710 - 11/05/03 07:48 PM Screen savers & security
ksurban Offline
New Poster
ksurban
College Station, Texas, USA
We recently migrated our network to Windows 2000 and are using Group Policy to enforce our security policy. Our policy calls for a password protected screensaver to launch after several minutes of inactivity. Now our network administrators are getting bombarded with complaints that the length of inactivity is too short. Does anyone have a recommendation for a length of time that permits security but reduces the user complaints?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#128711 - 11/05/03 07:50 PM Re: Screen savers & security
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sorry, but this always burns me. Honestly, how long does it take to enter a password to bring the screen back up? 5 seconds. I have mine set for 5 minutes and it's fine with me. Our bank tells everyone to try to use 10 minutes or less.

Return to Top
#128712 - 11/05/03 07:52 PM Re: Screen savers & security
Princess B Offline
New Poster
Princess B
Our screen saver comes on after 10 minutes of inactivity. I think 10 minutes is not long enough, but IT won't change it. Sorry, if that was not the answer you were looking for. Perhaps once users find out that IT is not making exceptions, users will just get used to it.

Return to Top
#128713 - 11/05/03 08:01 PM Re: Screen savers & security
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you have computers used in presentations that might include access to Webinars, etc., or that are used heavily in presentations, you should consider disabling the screensavers. Having them kick in during a presentation (because a discussion went on for more than 5 minutes) or during a Webinar (because there is no keyboard activity) can be disconcerting.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#128714 - 11/05/03 08:41 PM Re: Screen savers & security
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
We use 10 minutes for higher risk groups (wires, ACH, system administrators, etc.). We currently don't have a requirement for lower risk groups. I would like to see perhaps a 20 minute or so limit set on all others.

Return to Top
#128715 - 11/05/03 08:58 PM Re: Screen savers & security
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

Sorry, but this always burns me. Honestly, how long does it take to enter a password to bring the screen back up? 5 seconds. I have mine set for 5 minutes and it's fine with me. Our bank tells everyone to try to use 10 minutes or less.

I agree wholeheartedly. If I am attending a Webinar (such as a BOL Webinar ), I generally disable my screensaver.

Return to Top
#128716 - 11/05/03 09:33 PM Re: Screen savers & security
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I have heard 10 to 15 minutes as being common.

These same users don't complain about using a key on the door to get in and out during non banking hours. If they did, it wouldn't change the fact that you lock the doors. The same applies here. Any time you want the screen data protected from eyes without a need to know, this is a safety precaution. While you may compromise by giving them a few more minutes, based on their location, they need to understand why this is in place.

More than once I have seen a banker in a glass lobby have their back to the glass and those pedestrians outside can see the employees monitor. When it gets dark outside earlier, as it does now, they are that much easier to read.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#128717 - 11/05/03 10:15 PM Re: Screen savers & security
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
We have ours set to come up as a non-password protected screen saver at 1 minute while we are upgrading to all Windows XP. I agree with the comment that Andy had about folks not having a problem getting in using a key-same concept, if you can convince folks how serious the info security issue is, that helps. We are also starting to use the privacy screen filters that fit over the monitors where the employee has to be directly in front of the monitor to view the information and I think we are contemplating using password protected screen savers at a later date.

Return to Top