Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1280973 - 11/04/09 09:21 PM Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea?
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
I am on week 4 of Shingles with that lovely residual pain. I have tried the meds the dr gave me and they don't help at all!!! Can't stand to have anything touch the skin in that area and this just plain s*cks. Anyone else been thru this and have any helpful suggestions? Truff was kind enough to give me her daughter (the nurse) phone number but any other help would be sooooooo welcome.

And, if you have not gotten a shingles vaccine and you are 'old enough' for it please get one!!!

Return to Top
#1280980 - 11/04/09 09:24 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? corkygirl
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I can't offer advice but will give hugs without touching you.
I am so sorry for your pain- it's been going on too long.

Return to Top
#1281002 - 11/04/09 09:32 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? pjs
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Do they have any prescription topical thugns with high concentrations of lidocaine?

I didn't knwo of a shingles vaccine.....anyoen had it?

Return to Top
#1281221 - 11/05/09 12:15 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? Dip
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Corky, have you been to this website?

It has lots of info on shingles and treatment of it. They say your age may have a lot with you developing "PHN" which is nerve damage from the shingles. I pray this is not the case for you as they say the pain can go on for years.

Please take care of yourself. Continued prayers and good thoughts going your way - Oh, and {{air hugs}}. smile

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1281345 - 11/05/09 02:22 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? Tigg
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Have you tried ice to numb the area? That works for my hives.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1281724 - 11/05/09 06:13 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? waldensouth
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Tigg, great website - Thanks. Unfortunately I do have PHN and it is such a pain in the rear!! The oral meds aren't working and I don't think I can tolerate the side affects of increasing them any higher. A BOL friend has helped with a contact that maybe able to get me a medicated topical cream with my dr's permission. I sure hope so!!

Walden, I do ice every nite and it helps for awhile.

Return to Top
#1281743 - 11/05/09 06:23 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? corkygirl
hrlady Offline
100 Club
I had shingles 3 years ago - so I feel your pain. My pain lasted 6 weeks before it started to subside. I took vicodin when at home. However, I couldn't function at work will taking pain meds. I'll be praying for you that this is over with soon.

Return to Top
#1282110 - 11/05/09 10:00 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? hrlady
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
I'm so sorry Corky! I had a friend that lasted for well over a month...I just spoke with her and she said the neurologist gave her Lyrica and Litoderm Pain Patches and that really helped. Her sister told me she thought you could get "over the counter" pain patches at WalMart...but I'm not really sure on that one.....

I pray you are better real soon...it breaks my heart to hear you are in so much pain!!!!!

Return to Top
#1282703 - 11/06/09 05:51 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? KTMiteComply
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Corky, Sorry to hear you have this.

Try a nice oatmeal bath if you can...

Return to Top
#1283166 - 11/07/09 03:35 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? Retired DQ
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Dittos....sorry Corky....hope you get past all the pain soon. I haven't had them, but watched my dad have them for several weeks.

Return to Top
#1284155 - 11/10/09 03:08 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? Quadspapa
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Sorry to hear about your pain. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

One of my co-workers did really well with silk undergarments. She even found a pair she could wear under her slacks (she had nerve pain in her thighs as well)

Return to Top
#1286763 - 11/14/09 05:36 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? Rie A
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I had shingles when I was ten, and then again last year. Just a note to whoever would hug you without touching you. Shingles is only contagious to those who have not had chicken pox. Hope you feel better soon.

Return to Top
#1286778 - 11/15/09 03:00 AM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? Blade Scrapper
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
But you wouldn't get shingles if exposed to someone who has them...you'd get chicken pox. Shingles comes from the dormant cicken pox virus that's already in your body, not from exposure to someone who has it.

Return to Top
#1286804 - 11/16/09 12:56 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? Truffle Royale
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Brought on by stress or a weak immune system. I had my first outbreak in April and another since and the band where it is breaking out is already a sensitive area.

Return to Top
#1287666 - 11/17/09 02:25 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? kms
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Oh kms, I'm so sorry that we share this - - it's a b!tch for sure.

Still have my pain but getting a tad bit better with a new ointment that is suppose to allow the necessary meds to get to the nerves under the skin through the skin. Stress in my life???!!! Gees, we work in banking for goodness sake. crazy Just hoping the added stress of my husbands neck/spinal surgery doesn't bring on another one. Need to get well enough to get the vaccine.

Return to Top
#1389988 - 05/12/10 08:57 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? corkygirl
Miss Thang Offline
Miss Thang
Have you tried peppermint oil. My 88 year old Grandfather had extreme pain with postherpetic neuralgia for months. Nothing the doctor gave him worked. I did a little research and found a case where an elderly woman had great success with peppermint oil. My grandfather started using it 4 weeks ago and after the second day of use has had no pain since. Search the web for "shingles and peppermint oil" and you will find several sites that have the information about the elderly woman who found relief from the pain with peppermint oil as well as information on how to apply and what strength to use.

Return to Top
#1390393 - 05/13/10 03:40 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? Miss Thang
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Kori, ask your doctor for an anti-viral. Will cut down on the severity and time of outbreak. Won't do much for the pain, but the meds will knock you out so you won't care.

Return to Top
#1391020 - 05/14/10 01:30 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? straw
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
I took the anti-viral meds when the shingles first appeared but it was already to late.

After nearly 8 months I am much better, it's not all gone - still have some pretty itchy days but it's sooooo much better. And since I haven't said it lately, Get Your Shingles Shot if you can grin

KMS, hope you are better now.
Last edited by corkygirl; 05/14/10 01:31 PM.

Return to Top
#1391109 - 05/14/10 02:50 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? corkygirl
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I asked my doc about the shingles shot when I was there in March. She won't give it to me until I'm 60 frown. Hopefully I won't get shingles before then.

Return to Top
#1391654 - 05/14/10 09:51 PM Re: Post Shingles Break Out Pain - any idea? hmdagal
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I am doing great, I keep the anti-viral handy so that if i feel an outbreak coming on(haven't in months) i can start it right away. I am continually on pain meds for my back but it is weird that they only really work for my back. I still get headaches and other pain that it doesn't touch, to include the shingles. I am keeping stress out of my life as much as possible and that seems to help the most. Not sweating the small stuff any longer!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett