Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#128786 - 11/05/03 09:04 PM Peer review-what is it?
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I'm trying to find out what a "peer review" entails? In applying for a position on a board for the local credit union, I signed a paper allowing them to do a credit check. The credit union has advised me this is really a "peer review", but I have no idea what this is. Any details?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#128787 - 11/05/03 11:28 PM Re: Peer review-what is it?
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
As I understand, a "peer review" is a review of a person's or group of persons' work by another (or others) in the same field. Simply put, this is to provide an unbiased evaluation from someone who understands what they are looking at. CPA's are subject to a "peer review" process. My audit workpapers are subject to this type of review by our external auditors, so my independence is not jeopardized and the advice and recommendations are provided by someone with training in the same field.

I can't put that together with a credit check though? Maybe in their terms they are really doing a "background" check/investigation?

Hope this helps, and welcome to BOL.. ..at least as a registered user. My expertise is not HR, obviously, but there are several great posters who participate and do specialize in this field.

Good Luck!

Return to Top
#128788 - 11/06/03 05:21 PM Re: Peer review-what is it?
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
I agree with LiL Bit More. IMO there is no connection between a credit check and a peer review. A peer review is an evaluation by individuals in similarly situated positions to yours. This is performed during the interview process by having you interview either individually or collectively with those would on the same level with you. It is more of a personality fit meeting than a technical interview.

Return to Top
#128789 - 11/07/03 06:35 PM Re: Peer review-what is it?
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Thanks for the feedback. I know from another person who just went through this that there is no interview involved. The paperwork was completed, sent it, and the next they heard, it was approved. So, it has to be some type of verification step, whether that be a background check or other type of review.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry