Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#129137 - 11/06/03 11:05 PM If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Banking is getting crazy...any suggestions to alternate careers?

Return to Top
#129138 - 11/07/03 09:03 AM Re: If there life after banking...
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The armed forces are looking for people. You must be willing to travel though.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#129139 - 11/07/03 12:46 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand there is a big demand for javelin catchers.

Return to Top
#129140 - 11/07/03 03:21 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

I understand there is a big demand for javelin catchers.

Do they have a health plan?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#129141 - 11/07/03 03:35 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea. It's a two-part plan. The first part is called Blue Shield. Your premium is based on your ability to maneuver it quickly. If the Blue Shield fails, then part two, Blue Cross comes into play. They place it firmly on your grave.

Return to Top
#129142 - 11/07/03 03:37 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
hahaha that's a pretty good description of it!

Return to Top
#129143 - 11/07/03 03:51 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Yea. It's a two-part plan. The first part is called Blue Shield. Your premium is based on your ability to maneuver it quickly. If the Blue Shield fails, then part two, Blue Cross comes into play. They place it firmly on your grave.

LOL!

Return to Top
#129144 - 11/07/03 03:53 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The interesting thing about a banking career is that, generally speaking, it doesn't prepare you for other types of careers, so you often have to re-start in another industry, versus getting credit for years of banking experience.

I would not recommend a banking career to another at this time. The chances of ending up on the street (merger/sale) are way to high and that can happen 2-3 times, not just one time.

Go into police or fire work - retire in 20 years.

Return to Top
#129145 - 11/07/03 05:03 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

What a unique idea. A police officer with banking knowledge would be a prime catch for a big city police department.

Seriously, you did not say what you do in the bank, but there are a lot of great opportunities out there in the nonbank financial services industry, and banking knowledge would be a great asset in almost any of them.

Return to Top
#129146 - 11/07/03 06:47 PM Re: If there life after banking...
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Concur - some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head are consultant, insurance, other types of lenders (ie, auto finance co). And there's also government - the regulators like to recruit from the banker pool, as you have great hands-on practical knowledge of the ins & outs of the industry. FBI and Secret Service also occasionally hire bankers (if you can get into their programs) to help with financial crime investigation.

There's always setting up shop for yourself too, in the consultant game, or in one of the million home-based businesses.

Return to Top
#129147 - 11/07/03 08:51 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

What a unique idea. A police officer with banking knowledge would be a prime catch for a big city police department. Seriously, you did not say what you do in the bank, but there are a lot of great opportunities out there in the nonbank financial services industry, and banking knowledge would be a great asset in almost any of them.

It's true, there are a lot of opportunities out there, but receiving value for your banking experience is the problem, as very few industries consider banking experience to be high on the value list, of course, depending specifically on what you done while in banking. You will rarely receive a dollar for dollar "transfer" to another industry, unless you follow someone that is in tune with your value.

Bankers lead a sheltered professional life with no payroll to meet, generally no real goals to attain, just put in the hours - take up the space. Banking is far from rocket science with most bankers (low and mid level) having a lot of extra time to, say, post of BOL.

Return to Top
#129148 - 11/09/03 12:33 AM Re: If there life after banking...
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
There is life after banking. It may take a year or so to find it, as it takes that long to get a good frame of mind back.

Just because you spent a long time in banking doesn't mean you will be a good consultant. If there is something you enjoy doing, see if you can turn it into a business. If you like to make furniture as a hobby why not become a custom furniture builder. If you like to sew or knit or needlepoint try being a distributor, or finisher, if you are a PC guru try developing some utility programs that you think banks can use. What ever you enjoy is a good place to start looking for an after life.

Beside the usual financial stuff, if you want to start your own business here are a few tips.

Start planning now.

Stop being a pessimest and only see the down side of opportunities.

Believe in what you are doing. Don't play at it

Don't start if you cannot give the project your full time attention.

Climb out of the 20 year rut and take a good look at things from a more elevated position. Amazing what you will see, especially after you take the banking blinders off

You have to learn how to work without the corporate cocoon around you, and be disciplined enough to not let things slide.

Work to achieve a success. Sucess will not happen unless you make it happen. It does not automatically happen just because you show up or have a good idea. Set personal goals.

Only look ahead, the banking career is in the past. Memories of past sucesses are just that memories.

What ever the business needs if you can't pay cash for it don't buy it until you can.

Do not be afraid to fail. You learn more from failures than you do from sucesses. Take the lesson and press on.

Have a spouse that supports you 150% and provides lots of encouragement especially on those bad days you will inevitably have.

What ever you do don't sit and look at the wall, get up and do something, you never know where it will lead.

From a small desk in a spare bedroom and an antiquated PC I created a company that has provide various services to several hundred banks on a nationwide basis, We grew out of the spare room long ago. Is there life after banking there certainly is for me. Impotantly its been a happy and most satisfying experience because we all enjoy what we do, and derive a lot of satisfaction from the personal association we have with our customers.

Return to Top
#129149 - 11/10/03 05:08 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Don Narup scenario is the exception, not the rule when it comes to thinking that you can come up with a niche that will produce a living wage from banking clients. It requires a lot of entrepreneurial qualities that are not encouraged or developed through the banking experience.

I suspect that Don always had those qualities and skills with the banking experience only supplying the product. Most bankers do not have entrepreneurial skills.

Return to Top
#129150 - 11/10/03 05:49 PM Re: If there life after banking...
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Anon, with all due respect, I don't think Don's post was focused specifically on making a living wage off of banking clients as opposed to success in general as an entrepreneur. I disagree with you on the statement about bankers not having entrepreneurial skills. I think most people do have those skills, they just place limitations on themselves.

Return to Top
#129151 - 11/10/03 06:01 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Anon, with all due respect, I don't think Don's post was focused specifically on making a living wage off of banking clients as opposed to success in general as an entrepreneur. I disagree with you on the statement about bankers not having entrepreneurial skills. I think most people do have those skills, they just place limitations on themselves.

Disagreement is OK with me, and respect is optional, but thinking that bankers generally have entrepreneurial skills is bordering on delusional. Also, most people in the general population don't have those skills. To suggest that there is a vast pool of latent entrepreeurial talent out there is way over the top.

Return to Top
#129152 - 11/10/03 06:15 PM Re: If there life after banking...
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, I am glad that someone's finally been able to peg what's wrong with me. I mean, I always thought I was delusional, but it's so hard to get a clear picture of who you really are. So how exactly did this country get here (and how does it continue to prosper) if not for an entrepreneurial spirit, combined with hard work? Sure, you are probably not going to have that spirit cultivated in most banking jobs, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, to one degree or another, in everyone. How it manifests itself differs from one person to the next. Just some thoughts.

Return to Top
#129153 - 11/10/03 06:18 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Life after banking? Didn't know there was a life during banking!

Return to Top
#129154 - 11/10/03 06:25 PM Re: If there life after banking...
SanibelGal Offline
SanibelGal
Fla
Quote:

Well, I am glad that someone's finally been able to peg what's wrong with me. I mean, I always thought I was delusional, but it's so hard to get a clear picture of who you really are.

I know the feeling!

Return to Top
#129155 - 11/10/03 07:52 PM Re: If there life after banking...
incandescent Offline
100 Club
incandescent
The E spirit just isn't in the banking world, generally speakly.

Return to Top
#129156 - 11/10/03 10:33 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Quote:

I can think of off the top of my head are consultant

Works for me! Set your own schedule, work for yourself, have a lot of fun, meet a lot of really great people (BOLers of course), and make a nice income without the ......politics.

Return to Top
#129157 - 11/10/03 11:36 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Amen, sister, amen.

Return to Top
#129158 - 11/10/03 11:57 PM Re: If there life after banking...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Well, I am glad that someone's finally been able to peg what's wrong with me. I mean, I always thought I was delusional, but it's so hard to get a clear picture of who you really are. So how exactly did this country get here (and how does it continue to prosper) if not for an entrepreneurial spirit, combined with hard work? Sure, you are probably not going to have that spirit cultivated in most banking jobs, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, to one degree or another, in everyone. How it manifests itself differs from one person to the next. Just some thoughts.

I'm happy to be of assistance! Now you have a clear picture. This country was started by those with the spirit, but most people a just worker bees, including worker bee bankers by the thousands, that follow a well torn path.

Return to Top
#129159 - 11/11/03 03:15 AM Re: If there life after banking...
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Anon, regarding this comment:

"Bankers lead a sheltered professional life with no payroll to meet, generally no real goals to attain, just put in the hours - take up the space. Banking is far from rocket science with most bankers (low and mid level) having a lot of extra time to, say, post of BOL. "

Can I get a job at that bank? I usually work no less than 50 to 60 hours a week and that has been for many years. And we do have budgets to meet, payrolls to keep within budget restrictions set to meet profitability, net interest margin, ROA, ROI, ROE goals that allow us to remain competitive and stay in business.

www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#129160 - 11/11/03 04:01 PM Re: If there life after banking...
mrenderman Offline
100 Club
mrenderman
Wisconsin
Quote:

I think that is one of the most true comments that I have heard in a really long time.

Return to Top
#129161 - 11/11/03 06:03 PM Re: If there life after banking...
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I personally feel very prepared for life after banking - I have led sales programs, sold insurances products, approved loans, been a manager, opened new offices, hired/evaluated/(and once or twice)terminated staff/have been a full-time teacher (trainer), etc - there are hundreds of possibilities out there for me - however, banking is where my comfort zone is right now, so.... am I crazy to still be here? Nope - because I am happy!!!! - and that's hard to put a price tag on!!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett