BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1292622 - 11/24/09 07:23 PM In need of some advice
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I'm having a bit of a dilema. My best friend and her husband are struggling financially right now. He runs his own business that is related to the construction field and there just isn't any work out there right now. She is worried about Christmas (two kids and a grandchild). They are making ends meet for the time being but there isn't any extra for Christmas gifts. While I do not have a lot of money I do have some in savings and I would gladly borrow her some cash to get her through the holidays. I just don't know if I should offer?

One option I did think of was to purchase a gift card and give it to her anonymously. I'm pretty sure that she would figure out it came from me though.

I just don't want to offend or embarrass her. Any suggestions or should I just stay out of it?
Last edited by RR Sarah; 11/24/09 07:25 PM.

Return to Top
#1292656 - 11/24/09 07:38 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Sarah
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
One of the best things to come out of these horrible times is the caring people are showing for one another. How wonderful of you to want to help, Sarah.

Don't lend her the money. Lending money to family or friends ruins the relationship more often than not. Go ahead and get the gift card. Give it to her and tell her that it's just a token of what her friendship means to you.

Happy Holidays to you both!

Return to Top
#1292662 - 11/24/09 07:40 PM Re: In need of some advice Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Maybe you could help impress upon her that Christmas isn't about giving gifts - contrary to a lot of people's beliefs.

Return to Top
#1292734 - 11/24/09 08:05 PM Re: In need of some advice Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I have a good friend who is going through some really rough financial times. I act as a sounding board for her, offer advice when I can, take her out for dinner once in awhile. The last thing she wants (or needs) is more debt.

Return to Top
#1292766 - 11/24/09 08:15 PM Re: In need of some advice hmdagal
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Do the gift card or invite her over for a Christmas dinner with one of those "re-gift" gift exchanges--don't need to buy anything for that and can be very entertaining.

Return to Top
#1292822 - 11/24/09 08:40 PM Re: In need of some advice Dip
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Sarah, you said she had kids and a gran that she was worried about, right? That's why she can't go with the idea of no gifts. She doesn't want to disappoint her kids.

She's your best friend so just talk to her. I'm sure she's given and done things for you over the years and all you want to do is return the favor. A hug and the promise of her continued friendship is all you want in return.

Return to Top
#1292833 - 11/24/09 08:47 PM Re: In need of some advice Truffle Royale
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Yes, Truff, she is worried about making Christmas special for her kids and grandkid. She is a very giving person and has been one of the best friends I have ever had. I think I will do the gift card. She helped me so much when my mom was sick and after she died, I would just like to help her out.

Return to Top
#1292871 - 11/24/09 09:02 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
How old are the kids and grandkid? We held a family vote one year because money was tight and our kitten had been caught in the fanbelt when Dad cranked the car. We had to decide whetehr to have Christmas presents or save the cat. All three of us (my brother, sister, and I) voted to save the cat. We were all under 13. The point of my story is that if the kids are old enough to understand tight finances, they'll understand if presents aren't quite up to par. Whichever kid has the grand should definitely be understanding.

Return to Top
#1292893 - 11/24/09 09:11 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Her daughter has a two year old and the father is the poster child for dead beat dads.

And typically they don't go overboard at Christmas anyway but I think she would like to be able to give each of them a little something. And she would NEVER ask to borrow money.

Return to Top
#1292906 - 11/24/09 09:17 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Sarah
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
What about a suggestion to make gifts or bake cookies this year? If you do it as a group then that would take the pressure off and give everyone a chance to save a little money on presents.

Return to Top
#1292920 - 11/24/09 09:22 PM Re: In need of some advice Sing A Little
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Maybe you could give her the gift card as your present to her? Maybe help out with a gift or with baking cookies for the 2 year old (great idea Sing!).

Return to Top
#1292949 - 11/24/09 09:37 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
She asked me not to buy her a gift this year (we usually exchange gifts). I said that I wouldn't but then she really looked at me and said, "please"...because she knows I'm not always good at doing what I'm told! wink

Return to Top
#1293138 - 11/25/09 11:56 AM Re: In need of some advice RR Sarah
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Your a good person Sarah - I would do the gift card too, if in your shoes. God bless your friend and her family. They're in my prayers.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1293148 - 11/25/09 12:40 PM Re: In need of some advice Tigg
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
If she was that adament about not exchanging gifts, would she take offense to the gift card? Not trying to be devil's advocate here, but pride does tend to get in the way of seeing good intentions.

I have a friend that has been in a similar situation and I know she won't take money of any sorts from me. I can usually get around by taking her to lunch (my treat) and then finding out what the family needs and getting those items - whether gifts to give to her granddaughter or household needs for her. Could you play Santa this year - find out what the kids and granddaughter likes/needs and get the gifts to give from "Santa."

Return to Top
#1293199 - 11/25/09 01:49 PM Re: In need of some advice NotPerfect
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Could you get small (lower cost) presents for the kids and grand and have a local Santa deliver them on Christmas Eve? Maybe y'all could get together that night for dinner at her house to really make it a party atmosphere.

Return to Top
#1293219 - 11/25/09 02:00 PM Re: In need of some advice Bagweaver
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Maybe give her the gift card and tell her, "It's not for you, it's for the grandbaby." Then you haven't really given her anything (since she asked you not to) but you still get to help out with the kid.

Return to Top
#1293257 - 11/25/09 02:19 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Becca
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Think BARTER! Is there a tiny repair/remodeling project you or someone you know can send to the husband? Replace a ceiling fan, put in a light fixture, paint a wall... Is there some project you've been putting off that she or her daughter can do to earn money? If they can organize a yard sale, maybe you can help advertise it....

There is pride involved here, and there's far greater pleasure for them if they feel that they've earned $ than simply received charity....

Return to Top
#1293281 - 11/25/09 02:28 PM Re: In need of some advice Phoenix
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, pride is playing a huge role in this so I need to approach this very carefully. I have some very good options from this thread and one way or another I will help them out.

Return to Top
#1293301 - 11/25/09 02:36 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Sarah
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Sarah, your pal is lucky to have a friend like you. smile

Return to Top
#1293312 - 11/25/09 02:40 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Becca
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
didn't you say that she has helped you through some tough times with family sickness & death? Just let her know that she was a source of comfort and help as well as a blessing to you through some dark difficult days and you would like to return the blessing to her! I believe that's what life is all about...in so many aspects! We can be a blessing and are blessed in comforting, love, advice, money, food, friendship, hugs, a smile, a kind word, family...the lists goes on and on!!!

What an amazing thing you are doing Sarah! smile May it return to you 10 fold!

Return to Top
#1293414 - 11/25/09 03:28 PM Re: In need of some advice RR Becca
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Maybe give her the gift card and tell her, "It's not for you, it's for the grandbaby." Then you haven't really given her anything (since she asked you not to) but you still get to help out with the kid.

This is what I would do. I would tell her that it is as much for you and the children as for her. Helping her stress level, in any way, helps you. This is not a "tangible" gift you are giving her, but a sign of true frienship, being there for her as she has always been there for you.

Return to Top
#1293895 - 11/25/09 07:29 PM Re: In need of some advice KTMiteComply
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: KTMiteComply
didn't you say that she has helped you through some tough times with family sickness & death? Just let her know that she was a source of comfort and help as well as a blessing to you through some dark difficult days and you would like to return the blessing to her! I believe that's what life is all about...in so many aspects! We can be a blessing and are blessed in comforting, love, advice, money, food, friendship, hugs, a smile, a kind word, family...the lists goes on and on!!!

What an amazing thing you are doing Sarah! smile May it return to you 10 fold!

I like this idea if you really feel like you need to give something. Like some have said, it is tough all over, and Christmas isn't all about the gifts.

We voted this year to really trim back the gifts, times are tight. We are getting together and enjoying each others company.

God Bless you for whatever you decide.

Return to Top
#1294271 - 11/26/09 05:18 AM Re: In need of some advice DD Regs
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Wow, this thread brings a tear to my eye. Thank you for the reminder of what Christmas is really about... friends wanting so badly to help friends. Sarah, my prayers are with you and this family. I have confidence that whatever you decide will be the right thing.

I'd go the barter route - "hire" them to do some project for you and "pay" them with a Toys R Us gift card and a huge hug.

Return to Top
#1295305 - 11/30/09 02:42 PM Re: In need of some advice BurntSienna
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Thank you all so much. I have a lot to think about!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett