Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1295403 - 11/30/09 04:45 PM Should I buy Wii or X-Box?
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Thinking about making a gift of one of the above. No super young kiddies...so, whats your experience and which would you recommend???

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1295404 - 11/30/09 04:47 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Trees
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
or the PS 3? I need advice as well.

Return to Top
#1295405 - 11/30/09 04:47 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Trees
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
WII. Both of my adult children have them although they were supposedly purchased for their children. The males in each famliy spend a lot of time playing with theirs.

Return to Top
#1295408 - 11/30/09 04:48 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? MyKidsMom
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The PS system has blue ray, do the others?

Return to Top
#1295409 - 11/30/09 04:49 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Ready to Retire
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we have all 3 games at home, X-Box is the only one that is used. Wii hasn't been turned on since August 08, sent PS to a son's friend whose broke...

Return to Top
#1295411 - 11/30/09 04:51 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Pale Rider
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I say the PS3.

But it depends on the type of games played. If it's sports games for the realism and for depth, then the PS3.

If it's for more or less kids type games, then the Wii.

As Pale says, the PS3 also has a blue ray play built in.

Also, their online access is free, not sure if you still have to pay for X-Box.

Return to Top
#1295422 - 11/30/09 05:01 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Peepers
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
My vote is for the Wii.

We have it and play it all the time. There is a great variety of games, and I use it to work out with (Wii Fit, Cardio Boxing, EASports Personal Trainer).

Return to Top
#1295564 - 11/30/09 06:59 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Sing A Little
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
PS3 doesn't seem as durable. I know a guy who's been through 2 (one struck my lightening, the other fried when a neighborhood transformer blew) in a year.

I know nothing about the other two, but I've heard more folks complain about the PS3.

Return to Top
#1295571 - 11/30/09 07:03 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Ops
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Whatever you settle on, be sure to get Rock Band 2.

There are a number of Megadeth songs that are available for it. VolOps would back me in stating that this is an added bonus.

Return to Top
#1295573 - 11/30/09 07:03 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Ops
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
My son loves the xbox 360... he and his friends can play together.

Return to Top
#1295582 - 11/30/09 07:14 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Retired DQ
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
My advise is to look at the games associated with the system. Buy the system which has the most games that you think that person is interested in.

Return to Top
#1295588 - 11/30/09 07:22 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Retired DQ
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
Finally! A thread for me! grin

I don't claim to be an expert by any means. But I too have all of the systems in my house. We are a video game family - including PC games. I'm a total gadget nerd!

I would say that it truly depends on the types of games you would play: sports, RPGs, Shooters, etc. It also depends on what you want your system to do: on line access or just Wi-Fi, graphics, etc. The PS3 and the 360 can run games that the Wii cannot handle.

It truly depends on what you are playing, and what interests you because I believe they each have their own pros and cons. Hence, why I have all consoles and probably always will. Where is the geek smiley?!

Return to Top
#1295589 - 11/30/09 07:24 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Miss Banker
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
:hands Miss B a geek smiley::

wink

Return to Top
#1295591 - 11/30/09 07:26 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Retired DQ
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
Thanks! grin

Return to Top
#1295594 - 11/30/09 07:30 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? BotV#6
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
The Wii is a great system for "party gamers". If you plan on playing games with several people and aren't really into hard core gaming but more into time killing...then that's the console for you. The Wii is geared more toward family gaming and thus does not boast a wide variety of adult games.

The X-Box(what I have) is more for gamers that play more than just for a time killer. The games are more adult and most of the games are 1 player only. X-Box has, by and large, the best online gaming community. Most of the games being released for the XB have excellent online multiplayer options. With the online community portion of XB you can rent movies, tv shows and buy full games and expansion games. The only down side to XB online community is that it cost $7.99 a month. The reason is does, though, is to police the activity. If someone tries cheating in games online, they will get caught and banned. If they do it more than once they recieve and IP ban which doens't allow them to ever play again. One more thing is that the XB has more games and more games that are available only on the XB.

PS3 is also for gamers that want to play more adult games on a more individual basis. Neither the PS3 nor the XB are good "party consoles". The console itself does come with a BlueRay player which is a huge leg up on the XB but the online community lacks greatly, although it is free. Since it's free it's not policed and it can be very frustrating when playing a game with someone who cheats. The game variety is nice and they have several games that are exclusive to only the PS3.

It's really going to boil down to what kind of gamer you are.

Return to Top
#1295615 - 11/30/09 07:48 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Spivol
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
I agree with pretty much all of Spivol's last post. Well said!

One thing though: there are two levels of XBOX Live memberships. One is Silver, which is free, but with limited access, such as you cannot play your games online, this would include the multi-player arenas and you cannot download without upgrading your membership. And then there is the Gold membership, which I pay 50 dollars a year for. And this includes full access to multi-player gaming, downloading, etc.

There are usually games that include a free trial of a Gold membership and sometimes it comes with the purchase of the 360 console, especially around the holidays.

Return to Top
#1295719 - 11/30/09 08:38 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Ops
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: VolOps
PS3 doesn't seem as durable. I know a guy who's been through 2 (one struck my lightening, the other fried when a neighborhood transformer blew) in a year.

I know nothing about the other two, but I've heard more folks complain about the PS3.

Wow, not working after being struck by lightning gets your durability questioned? eek wink

Return to Top
#1295755 - 11/30/09 09:03 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? GuitarDude
baseballfan Offline
100 Club
baseballfan
Midwest
I agree with everyone here - it really depends on what types of games you play. We have the Wii and Xbox at our house. The Xbox is played a lot more than the Wii. My 14 year old son has played a PS 3 as well and he likes the Xbox online system better than PS 3. We buy the online memberships usually through Amazon and it is cheaper that way. We only seem to play the Wii when we have people over.

Return to Top
#1295780 - 11/30/09 09:19 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? baseballfan
ATLbanker Offline
Gold Star
Georgia
I bought our first video game console and chose the wii. My wife likes the idea of the balance board and the activity required to play the games. Of course, I bought it to give to our daughter for Christmas. [wink, wink]

Return to Top
#1295781 - 11/30/09 09:19 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? baseballfan
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Getting some very good info here. I think we are talking more about adult type games, maybe grand theft auto or similar. Hopefully not the war games....probably be played more by one person than group/family activity. Probably not exercise either. Go to the YMCA or the great outdoors for that. Keep your comments coming.

Return to Top
#1295783 - 11/30/09 09:19 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? baseballfan
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
I agree with Spivol and Ms. Banker...we own all of them too...what do you expect from a city Technology Director?? smirk

Figure out what kind of game the end user would enjoy...the console will fall in place with that...

Return to Top
#1295800 - 11/30/09 09:33 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Lisa_Bates
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Trees, you'd be better off going with PS3 or XBox then. I bought my Wii about a month ago and I absolutely love it! My niece and nephew (teenagers) were over on Friday and we played for hours!! My nephew still prefers his PS3 though because he likes to game (Call of Duty and stuff like that). I'd prefer to bowl or ski or play volleyball or any of the games on the Wii Fit.

Return to Top
#1295804 - 11/30/09 09:35 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Lisa_Bates
Peepers Offline
10K Club
You should buy all three, or at least two (a Wii and either an X-Box or PS3).

You want to help stimulate the economy don't you? Or are you anti-American?

Return to Top
#1295810 - 11/30/09 09:37 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Lisa_Bates
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
Trees~

In that case then I think you may have narrowed your search down to the 360 or the PS3. Nintendo is more family oriented and I don't believe the GTA franchise (and similar) is available on the Wii. I could be wrong but I think Resident Evil is about as adult as it gets on the Wii. If you go to the Nintendo, XBOX, or Playstation websites, you can browse the available games and those that are available via download and that will probably help you decide (if you know the kinds of games the person will play).

Return to Top
#1295815 - 11/30/09 09:39 PM Re: Should I buy Wii or X-Box? Peepers
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I agree with CG, there is just such a difference between the Wii and the other two.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2