Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options Tools
#1289333 - 11/18/09 10:42 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted RR Joker
Marnie Offline
Gold Star
Nevada
Okay, Mary Beth, you are right TOTALLY CONFUSING TIMELINE--I interpret the below from the FIL to say that to rely on safe harbor, compliance date is 1/1/2011. BUT then it says existing sample clauses will be removed on 1/1/2012 and once clauses removed, to get compliance safe harbor, model forms may be used. So, the very least compliance date won't be until 1/1/2011, correct?

*The Appendix to Part 332 of the FDIC's Rules and Regulations currently contains model language (called sample clauses) that institutions may use in their privacy notices and, if so, they are deemed to be in compliance with the privacy provisions of GLBA. The rule removes, after a transition period, these sample clauses and the associated compliance safe harbor. Thus, financial institutions will not be able to rely on the safe harbor for the sample clauses incorporated into notices that are delivered to consumers on or after January 1, 2011. The sample clauses will be removed entirely from Part 332 on January 1, 2012.

[i]*To obtain a compliance safe harbor after the sample clauses are removed, financial institutions may use the new model privacy notice form.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1289352 - 11/18/09 11:18 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted Marnie
ccman Offline
Platinum Poster
Give it a break already, FED. U have screwed up TIL until it not recognizable as a "cost of my credit." It now DICTATES OUR PRODUCT LINES, OVERDRAFTS, ETC. Now we need a "safe harbor" from our own privacy notices. Its just a notice how hard can that be for our little consumer's mind to grasp. GEE!!No end to the madness that is now called the Fed. PC run amuck!!

WE'RE DOOMED! Our happy little thought for the day!

Return to Top
#1289461 - 11/19/09 02:10 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted ccman
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

FDIC published editable forms - go here to get them

http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2009/fil09065.html

Return to Top
#1289490 - 11/19/09 02:33 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
THANKS PLUM

I have just skimmed this because RESPA is still on my front burner - but thanks to Plum & the FDICs summary I'm with Marnie It looks like you can use the "Old style notice with the model phrases" in 2010 and still have your presumption of compliance, or you can use the new model form. But as of 1/1/2011 the model form is a must. Right??

Return to Top
#1289500 - 11/19/09 02:49 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted Mary Beth Guard
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Mary Beth Guard
Sorry to rant, but this has me wound up.

My next reaction is "This is your idea of SIMPLIFICATION??"

Plus, I am thinking my printer, which was just purchased in March or so, is not going to last a year at this rate.

I thought you were putting these on your Kindle?

Return to Top
#1289505 - 11/19/09 02:59 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted QCL
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
The sample clauses we use today are good until the end of 2010. Then if you don't use the new Privacy notice, you lose the safe harbor.

Return to Top
#1289522 - 11/19/09 03:17 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted ahou
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I think as long as we use the new ones next year for our annual mailing, we'll be compliant by any deadline they have mentioned.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1289532 - 11/19/09 03:27 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted waldensouth
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
waldensouth: I think that will be a common way of approaching this, by coordinating the time you start giving them to new customers with the time of your annual mailing.

Return to Top
#1290028 - 11/19/09 09:40 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted Ted Dreyer
brainOverload Offline
Gold Star
brainOverload
DFW, Texas
I still am not sure about the 30 days vs 1/1/2011...does it mean we can start using it 30 days after publication but have until 2011 to be in compliance with it?

Return to Top
#1290060 - 11/19/09 09:54 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted QCL
amwood Offline
New Poster
San Luis Obispo, CA USA
So which is it 2011 or 2012?

Return to Top
#1290179 - 11/20/09 08:31 AM Re: New model privacy form adopted
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"In addition, the Agencies other than the SEC are eliminating the safe harbor permitted for notices based on the Sample Clauses currently contained in the privacy rules if the notice is provided after December 31, 2010."

To perserve your safeharbor, you would have to begin delivering the new model disclosure to all new accounts beginning 01/01/11 and in your 2011 annual mailing. You can begin using the new model disclosure anytime after 30-days from publication.

Return to Top
#1290800 - 11/20/09 06:59 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted
Marnie Offline
Gold Star
Nevada
Georgia, I pulled up the forms but there are not editable.

Return to Top
#1290809 - 11/20/09 07:02 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted Marnie
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You most likely need more than Adobe Reader - you need the actual Adobe software.

Return to Top
#1291058 - 11/20/09 09:51 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted RR Joker
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I thought one of the revisions to the notices was going to be an elimination of the requirement for the annual notice for institutions that do not share outside of the allowed exceptions.

So great, it looks like the "non-sharing" shops are STILL going to have to send an annual notice that essentially says:

"We STILL aren't sharing your information except as necessary to maintain your account and process your transactions and you STILL cannot opt-out but instead of using a small "buck slip" to say this, you're getting a 2 page letter sized form. Don't you feel much better now? Have fun shredding."

Return to Top
#1291344 - 11/23/09 03:13 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted brainOverload
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Originally Posted By: brainOverload
I still am not sure about the 30 days vs 1/1/2011...does it mean we can start using it 30 days after publication but have until 2011 to be in compliance with it?

After 30 days the regulations with the new form will be effective and it can be used. From that date (which will be sometime in the latter part of December) until December 31, 2010 either the old or the new forms will have the safe harbor for compliance. After January 1, 2011 only the new form will have the safe harbor.

Return to Top
#1291813 - 11/23/09 08:27 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted
rewind411 Offline
New Poster
is everyone having the same problem, if you click on it to edit the form, it turns blue?

Return to Top
#1291828 - 11/23/09 08:41 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted rlcarey
rewind411 Offline
New Poster
how do I get Adobe software?

Return to Top
#1292094 - 11/24/09 02:20 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted rewind411
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: rewind411
how do I get Adobe software?

If youi are going to have the form printed, have your printing company download the form and adapt it. If you must do it in house, there may already be people -- marketing, perhaps? -- that have Adobe Acrobat or a similar PDF editing/creation package.

If you need to get Adobe Acrobat for this or another reason, it's available wherever you normally obtain software, or it can be ordered at adobe.com. Be sure you discuss the purchase with your IT staff; you need to be sure your computer can handle it, and IT may not allow you to install it without its intervention.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1294170 - 11/25/09 09:52 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted John Burnett
Carolyn31 Offline
100 Club
Nebraska
Our annual privacy mailing is in March-April so we are going to use the current notices and then work on the new form.

Can't wait to see the "online form builder" that the agencies are going to provide (page 46 of the final rules). ;-)

Return to Top
#1295537 - 11/30/09 06:28 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted Princess Romeo
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Princess Rooney
I thought one of the revisions to the notices was going to be an elimination of the requirement for the annual notice for institutions that do not share outside of the allowed exceptions.

So great, it looks like the "non-sharing" shops are STILL going to have to send an annual notice that essentially says:

"We STILL aren't sharing your information except as necessary to maintain your account and process your transactions and you STILL cannot opt-out but instead of using a small "buck slip" to say this, you're getting a 2 page letter sized form. Don't you feel much better now? Have fun shredding."

FWIW, I'm going to recommend to management that we venture outside the safe harbor and continue to send the same old notice we've sent for the past 9 years. We are a non-sharing shop, and I see ZERO benefit to the new form. Honestly, our form has passed muster for 3 exams now, why would it suddenly not be sufficient?!? Watch out world, I'm going rogue!!! grin

Return to Top
#1295944 - 11/30/09 11:50 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted RebekahL CRCM
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Amended Privacy Disclosure:

In today's world, there is no such thing as Privacy so get over it and move on with your life!

Return to Top
#1296221 - 12/01/09 04:32 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted RebekahL CRCM
ccman Offline
Platinum Poster
Ditto! The FED has gone bonkers, again. No end to the madness. No going "green" by the FED.

Return to Top
#1296460 - 12/01/09 07:04 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted ccman
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Maybe the government is going about this the wrong way. They should set up standards for each type

Level 1 -We don't share (except with required core processors).

Level 2 - We only share with affiliates.

Level 3 - We share with anyone and everyone who will pay for it.

Banks would be required to post a sticker on the door saying what level they are.
Government would be required to 'educate' the consumer on what the 3 levels mean.
No opt in/opt out.
Consumer can then pick their bank based on whether they want their information shared or not.

Return to Top
#1296467 - 12/01/09 07:13 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I can hear it now - announcement in the bank lobby:

"Attention customers, the current customer privacy level at this bank is orange. Please do not accept any information from strangers and maintain a close eye on any of your personal information. Any personal information found unattended will be subject to confiscation"

Return to Top
#1296473 - 12/01/09 07:18 PM Re: New model privacy form adopted rlcarey
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
This is funny, but a much more efficient idea. I like it, but don't think the ABA would.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3