Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#129725 - 11/07/03 07:12 PM Police request
Pinkie CRCM Offline
Gold Star
KY
I just received a memo from one of my SVPs, stating that our bank has been contacted by our local law enforcement (a named individual provided) to setup a DDA account for an individual, and that the account will be apparently used to capture other individuals illegally sending money to the Middle East. The memo states that the FBI is also involved (no FBI agent's name disclosed). It further instructs us (Audit Dept) to adhere to all BSA reporting requirements, CTRs,CIP etc.

Has anyone else out there been subject to such a request??? What type of documentation did you require prior to opening? Do you keep a separate "confidential" file on this person? What docs do you keep in the file?

I'm just a little panicked and a little uncomfortable at this point and not quite sure how to proceed. Like I said initially, ALL I received about this matter was a MEMO! Help!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#129726 - 11/07/03 07:17 PM Re: Police request
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I know we have had this question before. You certainly need to contact your police department to see if this is legitimate before you cooperate.

Return to Top
#129727 - 11/07/03 07:33 PM Re: Police request
Pinkie CRCM Offline
Gold Star
KY
Any suggestions on what I should search on?

Return to Top
#129728 - 11/07/03 07:38 PM Re: Police request
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I did a search and did not find it. You might send a privat message to Andy Z to see if he remembers.

Return to Top
#129729 - 11/07/03 07:42 PM Re: Police request
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

I know we have had this question before. You certainly need to contact your police department to see if this is legitimate before you cooperate.

Quite the reverse, you should not contact your local police - if it is an undercover operation you don't want to start spreading information to the local cops.

You should go through a higher level authority. Ask the account opening person who you can refer to, then independently obtain the telephone number and contact details for that person and office and verify the credentials of the account opener. Request documentary confirmation of who can be contacted re the operation of the account.

Return to Top
#129730 - 11/07/03 08:03 PM Re: Police request
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
My answer was assuming that this was the local police since he said local law enforcement. I guess I left too much to chance in my answer, but I know this was answered before. Yes, I agree, get a number from the person who has approached you--independently verify that the number is a law enforcement number. Just remember that just because someone answers the phone "Detective Jackson" does not mean that it is Detective Jackson you are speaking with. You may have to actually go to the police department and meet face to face. You don't want to blow an undercover operation, but you do need to make sure who you are dealing with.

Return to Top
#129731 - 11/07/03 09:44 PM Re: Police request
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I have had these types of accounts and we got confirmation of the operation from their superiors, about two or three levels up, on letterhead. Furthermore our policy required that Senior Management be made aware of these types of accounts, and the Bank Legal Counsel made a few calls to verify. Hope this helps you.

Return to Top
#129732 - 11/10/03 09:58 PM Re: Police request
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
I would probably want to contact our regulators, too. The kinds of transactions that are the target of this operation might involve OFAC entities, or SAR-able activities.

Return to Top
#129733 - 11/16/03 08:13 AM Re: Police request
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have to remember, under the patriot act, you could be charged . Do not contact the person who opened the account. You cannot give them information or act in a way to tip them off that they are the subject of an investigation. Tread carefully.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z