Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#129827 - 11/09/03 10:12 PM College Football Week of November 10th
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
1 Oklahoma--My, Oh my! I think they are #1 to stay.

2 USC--Think USC will lose like those other formerly one-loss teams have? Not likely! Having aleady played the strongest teams in the very weak PAC-10, USC would have to melt down not to meet Oklahoma--to get clobbered--in the National Championship game.

3 LSU--Strength of schedule is killing them in the BCS. Playing University of Louisiana, Monroe--what is that all about?

4 Michigan--with a tough game against Ohio St. remaining Michigan controls its own BCS destiny. They'd need some help to get into the national title game.

5 Texas--if UCLA beats USC; Ole Miss beats LSU; Purdue beats Ohio State; Ohio State beats Michigan; Auburn beats Georgia, then Texas could end up being Oklahoma's victim in the National Championship game. I actually believe all of this except UCLA beating USC.

6 Georgia--I predict they will lose one of their last 3 games or will bow out in the SEC championship. I just don't see it in this team, but they did get a week to recuperate. Actually, with Florida surging, Georgia may not even make the SEC championship game.

7 Ohio State--I was surprised by their offensive output against a good Mich. State team, but I don't think they will win out against Michigan and Purdue.

8 Washington State--PAC-10, PAC-10, where has all your glory been?

9 Purdue--Peaking at the right time to make a BCS bowl, but once again avoiding sticky national title implications. They may still foil any hopes Ohio St. has at repeating.

10 Virginia Tech--Ho, hum!

11 Miami--Ho, hummer!!

12 Florida State-Ho, hummest!!!

13 Tennessee--With three weak teams to go, they will likely peak in the top 10. They play Miss. St., Vandy, and the Pillsbury Throwboy at Kentucky. I think a 10 and 2 season is in the bag.

14 Pittsburgh--Number 14 with a bullet. They could win their conference without anyone actually hearing about it.

15 Florida--Gators are peaking, but like Texas it just ain't enough if you don't play well all year.

Don't worry, I did not forget about TCU. I hope they go undefeated and really wreck the BCS. Although it is impressive to be undefeated this late in the season, regardless of your schedule--and their's is the second weakest in the nation, they are not Top 20 kinda good. I think they will lose this week to Southern Miss, ending their Cinderella BCS story. It will be unfortunate, but I think it will happen.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#129828 - 11/10/03 04:07 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Tennessee stepped up this weekend, and so did Florida (if you could call beating Vandy stepping up). UT is pretty much guaranteed wins in the next three games. I think UGA and Florida both have one though game apiece. UGA/Auburn and Florida/FSU. The way my team has played the past three weeks, I don't know who will show up on Saturday. I am hoping its the UGA that destroyed Tennesee. With the new tiebreaker, Florida will not go to the SEC title game, unless Tennesee loses, and even with a win over FSU. That makes me happy .

Return to Top
#129829 - 11/10/03 04:17 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Well, I can say that I was one fan hoping my team would score 100 points, but the coach had other plans. He didn't know what to do to keep the score down. Do you just tell the boys to not play at all? That's almost what he did. They didn't throw a pass in the last 25 minutes of the game, they ran almost every play right up the middle, they let the play clock run down as much as possible without being penalized and even just let the game clock run without stopping it! When they still had 1st and goal on the 3 he had the quarterback take a knee and told them to not score whatever they did. And still the sportcasters (especially those in the East) are giving it to him for running up the score). He could have really padded White's stats for the Heisman trophy, but took him out at half. And still his stats were better than Manning who played a whole game. Unless something unforeseen happens, I believe that Oklahoma has the best football team that there has ever been. I'm just glad I'm on their side.

Return to Top
#129830 - 11/10/03 06:15 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Well, I can say that I was one fan hoping my team would score 100 points, but the coach had other plans.

Demoralizing 18, 19, 20, and 21 year old boys anymore than you have to is just not the right thing to do. If Mr. Stoops had done so, he would have put himself in a league of his own. The fact that the East coast press criticized him for running up the score indicates to me that they turned their TVs to watch their beloved Irishmen beat a not-so-good service academy team by three points. There is no reason to run up a score--ever--and I am a little surprised that you would suggest it.

Return to Top
#129831 - 11/10/03 06:19 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Didn't Bob Stoops work for Steve Spurrier? Well, I didn't watch the Oklahoma game, but was A&M really that bad? I can understand not wanting to run up the score, but if your reserves are moving the ball, and they score, what can you do? I heard that Stoops did put the first team defense back on the field, which I think is a little classless. Look, if you are good, you're good, but running up the score is precisely why most SEC fans despise Steve Spurrier. I sure hope that Stoops wasn't trying to do that.

Return to Top
#129832 - 11/10/03 06:35 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I stand corrected--if Stoops had run up the score, he would not have been in a class all his own, he would have been in a class with Steve Spurrier and Jimmy Johnson (whose pre-BCS team, if I am not mistaken, kicked a field goal late in a game when they were ahead by 60 or more points). I do not believe that you stop playing, but I do believe that you just pound ahead and you never kick a field goal. If it is fourth and 10 on the 30, you run a dive play. There is no reason to see how many points you can score against a team--any team. Stoop seems to be a decent man...

ESPN-----NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma might have gotten the whole hundred had coach Bob Stoops not been so generous.

The top-ranked Sooners scored touchdowns on 10 of their first 11 offensive possessions and their defense didn't allow a touchdown for a second straight week in a 77-0 rout of Texas A&M on Saturday.

All of the Sooners' points came in the first three quarters and they were 3 yards away from another touchdown midway through the fourth. But Stoops called four straight runs into the middle of the line -- Oklahoma's offensive line all but fell to the ground -- to keep the score from getting even more lopsided.

"It was an odd situation to be in," Stoops said. "I believe in being decent to people."

Return to Top
#129833 - 11/10/03 08:04 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

I heard that Stoops did put the first team defense back on the field, which I think is a little classless.

We are fortunate enough to have enough "first stringers" that the players are alternated in and out of the game. That's what keeps the players fresh, they get to rest. And we do have a position or two where we are already starting 3rd string due to injuries. You can't go much deeper unless you play someone who doesn't play that position. All in all, I read where the defense guys only averaged around 30 downs where they normally get over twice that many.

As for wishing they had gotten 100 points, I know it's selfish, but it would have been really interesting to see how far they could have gone. And yes, the backup quarterback scored and we even played a third string quarterback. We may have continued with our starting backs, but one was out with an injury and to replace the ones playing, they would have had to take a freshman out of redshirt and you don't want to take away a redshirt year this late if you don't have too.

It will be very interesting against Baylor next week. We beat A&M 77-0 and A&M beat Baylor 73-10. I think I saw last night that there is a 56 point spread on this week's game. Stoops will be in another bad position. Getting ready to play Big 12 Championship and hopefully National championship games and you can't let your players get any game experience.

Our high school girls team for several straight years had this problem. The girls that graduated 2 years ago had only lost 3 games during their high school career. When you only have about 10-11 girls on the squad (including some freshman) it's hard not to play the girls. Most games the starters were far enough ahead after the 1st quarter that they could sit. However, come tournament time, they needed the experience and we got criticized for playing them for even half a game.

Return to Top
#129834 - 11/10/03 08:07 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Z - if you are a UT fan, you might recognize the name of Kala Bowers on the Texas girls basketball team. She was one of our star players. In her 4 years (she started varsity as a freshman) I think she only lost about 3 games, never lost on her home court and was the Oklahoma Gatorade player of the year. The very next year, we again had the Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year and she is at Colorado.

Return to Top
#129835 - 11/10/03 09:11 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
No matter what OU does this week:

--play only 9 players at at time;

--only play freshmen;

--put an offensive lineman at quarterback;

--run the ball backward 10 yards before heading up field on each play;

the Baylor game will not give them any "game" experience for the national championship game. So, even if the first team plays all game and goes all out, they will get "zero" experience for the Big 12 Championship game and "zero" experience for the bowl game.

Return to Top
#129836 - 11/10/03 10:11 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
It's just a shame that so many are up for several awards and without playing they don't get to add to their stats. And so many of the voters look at those rather than the whole picture. I just hope they take that into consideration when it comes time to vote.

Return to Top
#129837 - 11/10/03 11:04 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

It's just a shame that so many are up for several awards and without playing they don't get to add to their stats. And so many of the voters look at those rather than the whole picture. I just hope they take that into consideration when it comes time to vote.

There is no "I" in Team! Stoops obviously believes this. And Boomermom--I assure you that running up the scores would work against these young men. I truly believe that if the first team played to the bitter end in these blow outs, that there would be a backlash among the award voters. Stoops is doing the right thing--the team is first--individual accomplishments come second. I really like his style, though I can't wait for him to retire.

Return to Top
#129838 - 11/10/03 11:05 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

--put an offensive lineman at quarterback;

We could even put a defensive lineman at quarterback. Dan Cody was a high school quarterback! Now he sacks quarterbacks! We have a lot of receivers that also played quarterback. So I don't think it would make any difference this year.

Return to Top
#129839 - 11/10/03 11:09 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Z - I do agree with you. Unfortunately, society is geared the opposite way. Bob does have his priorities straight and instills that in the players. Their goal is the National Championship and the rest is just frosting. These kids are a lot more disciplined than say...Kellen Winslow, Jr. Of course, I say, what are the media doing in the locker room anyway! That's asking for trouble. Miami was always known for their "bad boys" and I guess it doesn't make any difference who the coach is, they still are.

Return to Top
#129840 - 11/10/03 11:24 PM Re: College Football Week of November 10th
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Kellen Winslow, Jr.

That interview was completely unfair to him, but it does not surprise me to hear that Miami allows the media in their dressing room. I have never seen an interview, that I can remember, of a college player while they were sitting at their locker. That was a first. These kids are not trained to deal with the press and are not mature enough to handle it. I do not hold anything against him.

And do not throw stones too far---Oklahoma has had their share of very, very bad boys. You do remember the Switzer problems do you not? Machines guns in the dorm???

Return to Top
#129841 - 11/10/03 11:51 PM Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
If you had 1000 virtual umbrella drinks, how many would you wager on the following games involving potential BCS bowl teams and who would you pick to beat the spread. There is a minimum 50 VUD bet on each game and no more than 250 on any game.

Georgia vs. Auburn (Georgia -7)

Texas vs. Texas Tech (Texas -15.5)

LSU vs. Bama (LSU -6.5)

Mich. vs. Northwestern (Mich -18.5)

USC vs. Ariz (USC -29)

Okla vs. Baylor (OKla -53)

My picks to cover the spread and my VUD bets:

Auburn 250 VUDs

Texas 125 VUDs

Bama 50 VUDs

Mich 125

USC 200

Okla 250

Return to Top
#129842 - 11/12/03 07:13 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

5 Texas--if UCLA beats USC; Ole Miss beats LSU; Purdue beats Ohio State; Ohio State beats Michigan; Auburn beats Georgia, then Texas could end up being Oklahoma's victim in the National Championship game. I actually believe all of this except UCLA beating USC.

Unbelievable--we are ranked 5th in the BCS! Can I call them or what? I still think that all of the above would have to happen for us to leap to 2nd in the BCS without another team leap frogging us by virtue of strength of schedule.

Return to Top
#129843 - 11/12/03 07:55 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I missed seeing the BCS rankings. Where does Ohio State fit in then? Weren't they #4 in the polls???

Return to Top
#129844 - 11/12/03 08:32 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe OSU is 4th in the polls, and 3rd in the BCS. They have a rough way to go. Must first beat Purdue, and then go to Michigan. They have a good defense, but no real offense most games. I am suprised they are where they are with what they have to work with(no running game, no real passing game) They overachieved last year and look what happened. They just kept hanging around. If they do pull off winning both games(which I think would be upsets) it might be interesting to see what happens in the BCS rankings since Purdue is 10th and Michigan is 5th. The games USC has left will not help them in the final BCS. Oh well, if OSU does win out I think the deserve a chance to defend its championship.

Return to Top
#129845 - 11/12/03 08:34 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Yes they are #4. However, unless their offense, that has only shown up for one game so far this year (Mich. St.) shows up against Purdue and Michigan, I predict they will be a two loss team and out of the top 5.

Return to Top
#129846 - 11/12/03 08:39 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Don't look now, but a two loss team COULD be going to the Sugar Bowl. By the way, Z, Texas and UGA are the Teflon teams of the BCS, but less seems to stick to Texas than UGA (that's because UGA lost to Florida).

Return to Top
#129847 - 11/12/03 09:13 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I don't think we are teflon. I don't think anyone is faulting us for an early season loss and getting beat 65 -13 late in the season by a high-flying jugernaut like Oklahoma might just make us the second best team in the nation.

Return to Top
#129848 - 11/12/03 09:14 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Quote:

Oh well, if OSU does win out I think the deserve a chance to defend its championship.

You know, even though I'm a Michigan fan, I agree with you. But there are a couple of things working against OSU - specifically, Purdue and Michigan.

OSU's eventual loss is all for the best, anyway. Think about it - does anyone really want to hear the Ohio State fight song over and over during the Sugar Bowl? I know I don't!

Same goes for USC...

Return to Top
#129849 - 11/12/03 09:35 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Let me ask you this. If there were a Texas-Oklahoma Sugar Bowl, would the result be any different than the first game?

Return to Top
#129850 - 11/12/03 09:53 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I for one think it would be a closer game. However, both teams have made improvement since then - Oklahoma with a more established running game and Texas with Young as their QB. As far as the winner - I still believe Oklahoma would come out on top, but I don't think Texas would be taken by surprise as they were the first time.

Return to Top
#129851 - 11/12/03 10:12 PM Re: Wanna Virtual Wager on College Football
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

I for one think it would be a closer game. However, both teams have made improvement since then - Oklahoma with a more established running game and Texas with Young as their QB. As far as the winner - I still believe Oklahoma would come out on top, but I don't think Texas would be taken by surprise as they were the first time.

You're not biased are you? I agree. I hope that Texas would turn out a better performance against OU, but they still won't win. I don't think anyone is going to beat OU, except for Baylor . OU is a complete team. They have great offense, defense, and special teams. Plus, they seem to have consistency. I don't know of anyone who could stop them, except maybe for the KC Chiefs and the Tennessee Titans.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2