Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1264604 - 10/09/09 04:01 PM Celiac Disease
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
I found out Tuesday that I have Celiac disease. Its an autoimmune disorder that causes my body to attack itself when I eat anything that has gluten. I get very sick. Does anyone else have this and if so, do you have a safe foods list that I might could get from you? It is overwhelming at this point.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to Top
#1264630 - 10/09/09 04:11 PM Re: Celiac Disease Happy2BHere
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Have you checked out the celiac website at www.celiac.com? The site has a complete list of safe foods and ingredients. Well worth the reading!

Return to Top
#1264649 - 10/09/09 04:23 PM Re: Celiac Disease TINKerBell
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have this; so does my brother.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1264664 - 10/09/09 04:34 PM Re: Celiac Disease Kathleen O. Blanchard
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
Thanks, I will check out the website, TinkerBell.

MS Kaybee, I want my sister to be checked but she is being stubborn. She is diabetic which is also another possible sign of cd. From what I have read, it is much more common than anyone ever thought it was. It can have so many different symptoms that can be thought of as other illnesses so many times it is undiagnosed. How long have you and your brother known you had it?

Return to Top
#1264702 - 10/09/09 05:23 PM Re: Celiac Disease Happy2BHere
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
Originally Posted By: Happy2BHere
I found out Tuesday that I have Celiac disease. Its an autoimmune disorder that causes my body to attack itself when I eat anything that has gluten. I get very sick. Does anyone else have this and if so, do you have a safe foods list that I might could get from you? It is overwhelming at this point.
Thanks in advance for any help!

I know this is only a small part of it, but I will suggest "Gluten Free Girl" as an excellent blog for recipes. I think the author also has Celiac, and the blog is well-regarded as a resource for those with Gluten problems.

I'm sorry to hear of your illness. frown

Return to Top
#1264709 - 10/09/09 05:29 PM Re: Celiac Disease Buccs
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Buccs
I know this is only a small part of it, but I will suggest "Gluten Free Girl" as an excellent blog for recipes. I think the author also has Celiac, and the blog is well-regarded as a resource for those with Gluten problems.

I also recommend this blog. The author does have Celiac and is married to a successful chef. She was also one of my high school teachers, is an excellent writer, and very passionate about good food.

Return to Top
#1264833 - 10/09/09 06:44 PM Re: Celiac Disease Becka Marr
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
Wow! I knew I could get some information from all of you. Thanks so much!

Return to Top
#1264875 - 10/09/09 07:25 PM Re: Celiac Disease Happy2BHere

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
My brother was diagnosed a number of years ago. I was diagnosed last year after telling my doctor I really really think that is the problem. Bingo. Have a niece who has it and another being tested. My daughter should be tested but doesn't want to know.

My sister in law makes great bread, muffins, cookies and cakes that are gluten free. Since I travel around a lot on business, I just do without and really don't miss it. I do enjoy them when I visit though.

Return to Top
#1264876 - 10/09/09 07:25 PM Re: Celiac Disease Kathleen O. Blanchard

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
A lot of what was thought to be irritable bowel syndrome turns out to be celiac now that doctors are more aware. They are much more aware of this in Europe.

Return to Top
#1264884 - 10/09/09 07:34 PM Re: Celiac Disease Kathleen O. Blanchard
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
That is another thing I wondered about, how far out as far as family members should I inform of this and recommend their being tested? I just worry because the risk of cancer goes up much higher for someone with cd that doesn't stick to the gfree diet. I feel like I can see down the generations of my family that this could have been a problem for several of us. I have many cases of lymphoma, osteoporosis, melanoma, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. in my family and many of us are short folks. All of these health problems are in very close kin family members, aunts, uncles, cousins. And also, symptoms of the cd.

Its like I have become some kind of crusader and I'm trying not to diagnose EVERYONE, but I just feel so much better figuring this out and knowing what has been happening to me. Even though I just found out about this for sure on Tuesday, I stopped eating gluten about 5 months ago and I just want everyone to know they can feel better.

Return to Top
#1264949 - 10/09/09 08:14 PM Re: Celiac Disease Happy2BHere

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
We think our Mother (now deceased) had it. It would explain a lot!

We let our cousins know so they could make their own decisions.

Return to Top
#1277271 - 10/30/09 01:00 AM Re: Celiac Disease Kathleen O. Blanchard
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I got an email from Taste of Home today (I subscribe), and there was a recipe for gluten free pizza crust. Don't know if anyone would be interested, but thought I'd post it just in case. smile

Ingredients
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 to 1-1/3 cups brown rice flour
Pizza toppings of your choice
Directions
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the tapioca flour, milk powder, xanthan gum, gelatin, Italian seasoning, vinegar, oil, salt, sugar and 2/3 cup brown rice flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining brown rice flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
On a floured surface, roll dough into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Add toppings of your choice. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and toppings are lightly browned and heated through. Yield: 6 servings.

Return to Top
#1277304 - 10/30/09 11:00 AM Re: Celiac Disease Ops
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
I just found out a friend of mine's daughter has celiac disease. She's very young - I think about 8 yo. I'll have to read the websites you've suggested. I'm interested to learn about it.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1283094 - 11/06/09 10:44 PM Re: Celiac Disease Tigg
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
I've just gotten a chance to check back on this thread and I see the pizza crust recipe! Thanks so much for posting that! I miss pizza probably more than anything!

Return to Top
#1298331 - 12/03/09 08:13 PM Re: Celiac Disease Happy2BHere
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
One of my good friends has dealt with celiac disease since she was little. She gets extremely (borderline violently) ill. Her 8 year old son also has it. It's always an adventure when our two families go out to eat... I always want to have them over for dinner, but they're such severe cases that they don't let anyone else cook for them - just to be safe... I will have to do more reading on it and maybe I'll find a great recipe and will convince them to let me cook! smile

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1301148 - 12/08/09 08:00 PM Re: Celiac Disease Becka Marr
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Buccs

I also recommend this blog. The author does have Celiac and is married to a successful chef. She was also one of my high school teachers, is an excellent writer, and very passionate about good food.

I love her blog! Becka recommended this to me when I went GF last year. I also really like "Gluten Free Mommy." I haven’t been “technically” diagnosed, but I am actually human again after getting off the gluten. I am clear that I was dying a very painful death and I’m not sure how much longer I could have taken it. Now when I accidently eat some gluten (i.e. cross contamination because I would NEVER knowingly eat the stuff again), I am really sick and in a lot of pain for a week & 1/2 to two weeks. I can't imagine how I lived like that for so many years.

My mom did some blood test but said that it said she wasn't Celiac . . . but keeps "forgetting" to let me see the results and I'm convinced she is (as well as my youngest cousin). People have to come to it in their own time, unfortunately. For people that ask me about it (or that I see with some of the side effects of it), I just give them a copy of "Going Against the Grain" (book is by Melissa somebody . . . can't remember the last name right now).

I would have never guessed it when I went GF, but the thing I missed the most ended up being pizza. I’d highly recommend Bob’s Red Mill GF Pizza Crust mix (we added in fresh basil & rosemary until it froze). Applegate Farms (well Applegate something) has GF pepperoni, just make sure you are using a GF pizza sauce and if using shredded cheese, make sure it isn’t dusted in flour (to keep it from sticking together). Mmm . . . so good. I also used Bob’s wonderful or best or something bread mix for my Thanksgiving dressing and would also highly recommend that.

A couple of pitfalls that got me when I started:
1) Some turkeys are injected with gluten to fatten them up before the kill so be very careful when ordering turkey on anything.
2) Soy sauce contains gluten (as may some sticky rice), but there is GF tamarind available as a sub if you want to cook Chinese or do sushi at home
3) Cross contamination – this is the worst. I was always very shy about ordering food, but I have had to become very, very bold and specific in ordering out (it can be done!) by explaining I have a very serious allergy and need them to clean the grill, use new utensils, bowls, whatever. I realize it isn’t actually an allergy, but people tend to understand that better – especially if you compare it to peanuts and anaphylactic shock and death!  Never order anything fried (like fries) unless they certify that absolutely nothing containing gluten is made in there (even then, I don’t trust it). If something goes in that is breaded, you might as well have eaten that instead.
4) Blue Cheese – some is made with a GF injection and some is made by letting bread mold, if you are into blue (or gorgonzola, etc.) make sure to find manufacturers who use the GF method.
5) Alcohol – it’s said that the distillation process gets rid of the gluten protein. I’m not really sold on that but I do know this – most Vodkas are FINISHED with wheat (meaning that the wheat isn’t distilled) and will make you really ill. If you are looking for a Vodka, I recommend Ciroc (which is from grapes).
6) Beauty products – I’ve read where you supposedly can’t get gluten in your system from beauty products. Personally, I believe that is complete nonsense. I was having severe skin problems and getting sick again every day. I finally realized that it all started when I switched back to an old shampoo & conditioner which had wheat in it. You’d actually be surprised how many do . . . and lotions are even worse.
7) Always ask if you are dining out – many restaurants actually have GF menus now . . . and if they don’t yet, they probably will. Two cases: (1) I went to eat at Outback before doing much research (steak and potato seemed like a good option). I ordered a salad with the mustard vinaigrette, since vinaigrettes are safe a good portion of the time – but not this one. Had I asked, they would have provided their GF menu to me and I could have seen that wasn’t a safe choice for me. (2) I was at the races in Phoenix in April and we decided to try Ruby Tuesday’s. They had never heard of gluten so I ate very limited items off the salad bar (buffet style scares me!) with oil and vinegar (not wanting to repeat the Outback incident). We were traveling back from the races in November and stopped at a Ruby Tuesday’s in Flagstaff for a bite. Instead of just assuming they didn’t have a GF menu, I thought I’d ask – they now have 12 pages of different types of allergy info, including one on gluten. Our server wouldn’t even let me have a margarita until she checked out every ingredient they use to make sure I wouldn’t get sick!

I feel like I’m forgetting something big, but you’re probably far enough in now that you’ve got the basics figured out. Good luck with your journey – I promise that it is worth it!!!

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett