Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1263814 - 10/08/09 05:37 PM Comp time & CRA service hours
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
The local food bank is having an event this month to raise funds, awareness, stocks, etc. They are asking for volunteers to help with the event doing everything from sorting donated stock to overseeing children's activities. I've been asked if sending employee volunteers to staff the event can be used as CRA service hours if we offer comp time (since the event is on a Saturday) to those who go.

By offering comp time, I can see where this would be similar to sending staff on bank time and using those hours....but the whole 'outside bank hours, on their own' thing is making me wonder if this would be usable or not. I think I'm not saying this well. I had it fairly well drilled into my head during our last exam that any activities participated in by bank employees *on their own* (i.e. not on behalf of the bank) could not be counted in any way, shape or form for CRA. I get that.

I guess what I'm asking is would offering comp time and the fact that I'd be coordinating the employees who do volunteer make this count as 'on behalf of the bank?'

Return to Top
CRA
#1263823 - 10/08/09 05:43 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours RR Becca
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
The first thing you need to keep in mind is that when counting volunteer hours, the assistance your staff provides must be financial in nature. I don't think you are going to get credit for sorting food and overseeing children's activities as they are not financial in nature. I often use the Habitat for Humanity example when training my staff. Swinging a hammer for them will not get us credit, but being the Board Treasurer will.

Back to your original question, our activities are always coordinated by the bank or during bank time. I have never had examiners question whether or not an activity was "on behalf of the bank" so I don't know if I'm of much additional help there.

Return to Top
#1263835 - 10/08/09 05:46 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Bullseye
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
We've been allowed to use 'bank time' volunteer hours for this sort of thing as service equivalents to donations before. While it's true serving on the Board in a financial capacity meets the letter of the CRA requirements better, our exminers have historically understood that this sort of activity provides more 'real' benefits to the community groups being served.

Return to Top
#1263838 - 10/08/09 05:49 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours RR Becca
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
our exminers have historically understood that this sort of activity provides more 'real' benefits to the community groups being served.

Wow - we would never get credit for that, regardless of how "real" the benefit is to the community.

Return to Top
#1263845 - 10/08/09 05:54 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Bullseye
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Did you see the part about we have to go the long way 'round and count the work hours used as a donation?

Return to Top
#1263892 - 10/08/09 06:24 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours RR Becca
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
No, I missed that - thanks for pointing it out.

I have never heard of that approach but I could see where it would make sense. I would be very skeptical that it would fly with my examiner, but may just have to give it a try. Are you an FDIC bank?

Return to Top
#1263915 - 10/08/09 06:34 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Bullseye
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
FRB

I've actually given up trying to sort this one out and emailed the question to them. I keep getting hung up on "but it's a Saturday." We usually only try to count things that were actually done on company time.

Return to Top
#1263920 - 10/08/09 06:36 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Bullseye
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I don't think it would work with the OCC. Converting comp time into a psuedo cash contribution -------- that would be an Investment Test credit, not Service Test...

but my examiners would toss either request for credit...

Return to Top
#1263928 - 10/08/09 06:42 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Pale Rider
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Not to change the topic, but how do y'all meet your service test requirements without being able to use these sorts of things? Short of having an employee sitting as the Treasurer of every charitiable organization in town, I just don't see any good way to do it.

On a personal note, I don't actually understand how having an employee sitting as the Treasurer of a charity board directly benefits the low-income community....but maybe that's just me. crazy

Return to Top
#1263989 - 10/08/09 07:14 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours RR Becca
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
Well, the organization could not function without the expertise of the Board Members who direct it. And, the organization needs to benefit or target LMI's. I think what you are getting at, and I agree, is that there are many more hands-on things we could be doing that would provide direct benefit to those individuals, but unfortunatly it doesn't get us credit for CRA.

I had it explained to me once that we have to remember anyone can swing a hammer, but not just anyone can provide the finanical expertise needed to assist LMI's and possibly help turn their situation around.

We have several staff members that serve on Boards for many community organizations, low-income housing complexes and other non-profits. Another way we get credit is by teaching financial literacy courses to low-income individuals (including children/schools). That is more of the direct benefit that I think you are looking for.

Return to Top
#1263990 - 10/08/09 07:15 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours RR Becca
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
No you are right royal rider! logic cannot be applied to all things CRA, shoot, no things CRA!

CD services must have a community development purpose. So I require my bankers to get verification that their participation in an event, activity or program has a primary purpose CD, or their activity has faciliated the general operations of an organization with a primary purpose of CD.

I make them explain how their role utilized their expertise in financial services.

I have been told board memberships are viewed more highly than single event or programmatic events when reviewing CD Service credit.

Board membership on a nonprofit with a primary purpose of CD is assumed ahead of time to be using your financial service industry expertise.

Return to Top
#1264090 - 10/08/09 08:47 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Pale Rider
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If the bank makes a contribution to the food bank (or buy food, supplies etc.) and has staff work there for the event, examiners are more likely to give some "extra credit" for the staff putting in hours. It will be treated as a "program".
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1264230 - 10/08/09 10:57 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Bullseye
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Originally Posted By: Bullseye

We have several staff members that serve on Boards for many community organizations, low-income housing complexes and other non-profits. Another way we get credit is by teaching financial literacy courses to low-income individuals (including children/schools). That is more of the direct benefit that I think you are looking for.

I ditto what Bullseye says, and would like to add this: we have employees that also sit on BOD's that are part of finance committees, grant committees, audit committees, we have some that are representative payees for senior citizens who can no longer manage their own finances, they organize fundraising events (not just work at a fundraising event but put the whole thing together, I think this was in the new Q&A's), count the cash cans for the Salvation Army at Christmas time, there are lot's of other things that can be done besides just being the treasurer. I try and spend a little bit more time asking questions to those who volunteer for certain organizations to find out what they are really doing in their roles.

Return to Top
#1264392 - 10/09/09 01:40 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Kathleen O. Blanchard
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: MS Kaybee
If the bank makes a contribution to the food bank (or buy food, supplies etc.) and has staff work there for the event, examiners are more likely to give some "extra credit" for the staff putting in hours. It will be treated as a "program".

Kaybee - Interestingly, this is almost verbatim what I originally told management about this little project. They were the ones pushing for the other route (comp time, etc.).

Return to Top
#1301177 - 12/08/09 08:16 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours RR Becca
JUST CALL ME CRA Offline
100 Club
SOMEWHERE
Our examiner said that you can never count employee salaries as a donation.

Return to Top
#1356696 - 03/12/10 03:51 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours JUST CALL ME CRA
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
Originally Posted By: Retiree Wanna Be
Our examiner said that you can never count employee salaries as a donation.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but that's exactly right. The Q&A's specifically address that issue.

§ll.12(t)—7: Will the agencies
consider as a qualified investment the
wages or other compensation of an
employee or director who provides
assistance to a community development
organization on behalf of the
institution?
A7. No. However, the agencies will
consider donated labor of employees or
directors of a financial institution as a
community development service if the
activity meets the regulatory definition
of ‘‘community development service.’’

Return to Top
#1356750 - 03/12/10 04:20 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Kelsey D
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I'm surprised anyone ever got to include staff time as a donation.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1357609 - 03/15/10 05:37 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Kathleen O. Blanchard
Happy Traveler 2 Offline
New Poster
Can anyone simply define a CD-qualified organization? Thanks.

Return to Top
#1357664 - 03/15/10 06:29 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Happy Traveler 2
bubs63 Offline
Platinum Poster
bubs63
Highland Park IL
An organization that has a primary mission to stablize or improve low or moderate income areas or people.

"truth does not occur in the database" - Actual search result on a goverment website

Return to Top
#1357735 - 03/15/10 07:26 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours bubs63
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
ha!

"simply" is not a term one can use when it comes to regulations...

Return to Top
#1370539 - 04/07/10 04:25 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Pale Rider
Tortuga Offline
Nebraska
Does anyone have a CRA community involvement survey they would be willing to share? Thank you!

Return to Top
#1380386 - 04/23/10 03:07 PM Re: Comp time & CRA service hours Tortuga
JUST CALL ME CRA Offline
100 Club
SOMEWHERE
Our examiner stated that wages are never considered a CRA investment.

Return to Top