Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1306808 - 12/15/09 09:28 PM Loan Secured with CD
Cale_N_Oats Offline
Platinum Poster
Cale_N_Oats
Southern Illinois
Jane comes in and secures a loan with a CD under her and her husbands name, but it only takes one signature to withdrawal funds. She is getting this loan without her husband knowing about it. We place a hold on the account and get and assignment of collateral. Concern: Couldn't the husband come in at anytime and cash in that CD since he had nothing to do with the loan it was pledged for collateral on?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1306827 - 12/15/09 09:44 PM Re: Loan Secured with CD Cale_N_Oats
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
As long as you have your hold properly placed he should not be able to make a withdrawal. It also only takes one signature to hold funds.

Return to Top
#1306849 - 12/15/09 09:55 PM Re: Loan Secured with CD Skittles
Cale_N_Oats Offline
Platinum Poster
Cale_N_Oats
Southern Illinois
Thats another thing, shouldn't the borrower be the one signing the Notice of Hold form? Our Loan Officers sign it and I'm not really sure why they don't have the borrowers sign it as well.

Return to Top
#1306929 - 12/15/09 11:39 PM Re: Loan Secured with CD Cale_N_Oats
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
Could be different in Idaho, but I just did a guaranty secured with CDs. Husband was the borrower, CDs had both husband and wife on them as signers, so on my assignment the wife was also a grantor. They both acknowledged the hold that I placed on the CDs.

Return to Top
#1306993 - 12/16/09 01:06 PM Re: Loan Secured with CD Cale_N_Oats
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: QUINCY
Thats another thing, shouldn't the borrower be the one signing the Notice of Hold form? Our Loan Officers sign it and I'm not really sure why they don't have the borrowers sign it as well.

You need a legal assignment of the CD not just a hold form. Check your State laws, in a case like this in Texas a certified letter to the other holder is required telling them of the encumbrance if they didn't sign the pledge agreement.

Return to Top
#1307363 - 12/16/09 05:09 PM Re: Loan Secured with CD rlcarey
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Originally Posted By: QUINCY

You need a legal assignment of the CD not just a hold form. Check your State laws, in a case like this in Texas a certified letter to the other holder is required telling them of the encumbrance if they didn't sign the pledge agreement.

Randy - that is really interesting info. Thanks for sharing it here.

You think that a C.D. secured loan is one of the "easiest" of loans to document. Then to see that another state has such a requirement that can make a huge difference in collecting on a loan.

Sometimes one forgets that states can be so different in their requirements.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z