Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Thread Options
#1322742 - 01/12/10 04:04 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Bacon Boy
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Anyone have any ideas for a healthy soup using leftover rotisserie chicken?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1322753 - 01/12/10 04:09 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Ops
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
Tortilla soup!

2 cans of diced tomatoes
2 cans of beans (your choice)
leftovers of a picked rotisserie chicken
2 cans of green chilis
chicken stock to your desired "soupiness"

directions: dump everything together and warm up, draining the beans first. add hot sauce until your desired heat level. serve with tortilla chips.

Return to Top
#1322825 - 01/12/10 04:38 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Buccs
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Low-Cal Chicken Noodle Soup

Low sodium chicken broth
chicken
carrots
celery
noodles

Dice some carrots and celery. Place on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with a little olive oil and season (I just use salt and pepper). Roast in oven until done (sorry, my oven roasting guide is at home). In a pot, combine chicken broth and chicken and heat. If I'm using uncooked chicken breast I would boil the chicken in the broth for about 20 minutes. If you are using rotissere chicken you just need to heat. Once the vegetables are roasted, add to pot. Finally, add your noodles. I usually cook my noodles in a separate pot and add to the soup when they are done. To make this healthlier you could use a whole wheat noodle.

Return to Top
#1322832 - 01/12/10 04:40 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! RR Sarah
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
rotel tomatoes fixes about anything.....

Return to Top
#1322908 - 01/12/10 05:21 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Pale Rider
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
Any ideas for things that can be made while holding a very spoiled 7 week old whose big sister has convinced her that bassinetts, swings and boppie seats are instruments of the devil? I take supper to my in-laws 4 or 5 times a week and am running out of ideas. My FIL has had a colostomy so greasy or gassy foods are out. I have made several of these soups and all have been big hits. The beer cheese soup was especially popular.

Return to Top
#1322920 - 01/12/10 05:27 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Zoo Mama
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
ZooMama, sometimes I just open a can of cream of chicken, celery or mushroom and add some water, veggies, and a few spices like basil, pepper, salt, garlic. It is pretty basic but easy and always tastes good. Plus it can be a good way to clean out your fridge by adding whatever you have on hand.

Return to Top
#1322938 - 01/12/10 05:35 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! StarryNight
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
That is a great idea! Thankfully they are not picky eaters so anything I can dream up is fine. My MIL has dementia and sometimes she thinks she "made supper" but can't figure out why she made whatever we are eating. The other night she said she was sorry the pork roast wasn't seasoned right! Not really funny but sometimes you just have to laugh! Oh, and do a better job seasoning the roast! blush

Return to Top
#1322974 - 01/12/10 06:01 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! A_G
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: Matty_Boi
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Maria,

Here is a good Baked Potato Soup recipe.

Baked Potato Soup

2/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 green onions, sliced thin
4 cups baked potato, peeled and cubed
12 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
8 oz. sour cream
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 tsp. salt

In a large kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook until smooth. Add milk and continue cooking until thickened. Stir in onions and potatoes. Bring just to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add bacon, sour cream, cheese, pepper and salt and stir until cheese is completely melted. Makes 2 1/2 quarts and serves 8-10.

I def wanna try this!!!

::prints recipe for ma::

Im sure grammy will make it for you if you finally put your clothes away and clean up the basement...

Return to Top
#1323051 - 01/12/10 06:37 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Zoo Mama
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Originally Posted By: Zoo Mama
That is a great idea! Thankfully they are not picky eaters so anything I can dream up is fine. My MIL has dementia and sometimes she thinks she "made supper" but can't figure out why she made whatever we are eating. The other night she said she was sorry the pork roast wasn't seasoned right! Not really funny but sometimes you just have to laugh! Oh, and do a better job seasoning the roast! blush

Zoo Mama, that did make me laugh, sweet and sad. I am sure your meals are appreciated!
Last edited by StarryNight; 01/12/10 06:38 PM. Reason: typo
Return to Top
#1323082 - 01/12/10 06:52 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Zoo Mama
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
baked spaghetti - just mix a container of cottage cheese and some shredded mozzarella in a 9x13" pan with cooked spaghetti and jarred sauce. Top with parmesan and a little more mozz and pop it in the oven for 20-30 mins. Cut into squares and serve. reheats well.

And I'd be breaking that 7 week old of the constant carry, mom, or you'll be paying for years to come, as I'm sure you well know. smirk

Return to Top
#1323093 - 01/12/10 07:06 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! StarryNight
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
Originally Posted By: StarryNight
ZooMama, sometimes I just open a can of cream of chicken, celery or mushroom and add some water, veggies, and a few spices like basil, pepper, salt, garlic. It is pretty basic but easy and always tastes good. Plus it can be a good way to clean out your fridge by adding whatever you have on hand.

I do this, I bake chicken in the morning chop it and throw it in the crock with cream of chicken some onion powder and some poultry seasoning, then on my lunch hour I put a can of carrots, green beans, corn and I dice some potatoes, then after work all I have to do is pour it over some biscuits, 10 minutes for the biscuits, dinner 10 minutes after I get off of work, it's the best. And the kids love it

Return to Top
#1323143 - 01/12/10 07:38 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Truffle Royale
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club

And I'd be breaking that 7 week old of the constant carry, mom, or you'll be paying for years to come, as I'm sure you well know. smirk[/font] [/quote]

Oh, I know! Big Sis is back at college now so we'll be working on it. She does really well when it is just she and I at home. She is a nosy little bug and can't stand the thought of missing something when there are other voices and people walking around. I didn't argue too much this last week or so since she has had a cold. She was just too pitiful to let cry! Unfortunately, her awake and play time is right as I am trying to get supper on so easy stuff is best. Not to mention that I am just plain out of ideas. I seem to make the same ten or so things all the time.

Return to Top
#1323167 - 01/12/10 08:00 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! doobydoobydoo
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Robbie_
Originally Posted By: Matty_Boi
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Maria,

Here is a good Baked Potato Soup recipe.

Baked Potato Soup

2/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 green onions, sliced thin
4 cups baked potato, peeled and cubed
12 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
8 oz. sour cream
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 tsp. salt

In a large kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook until smooth. Add milk and continue cooking until thickened. Stir in onions and potatoes. Bring just to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add bacon, sour cream, cheese, pepper and salt and stir until cheese is completely melted. Makes 2 1/2 quarts and serves 8-10.

I def wanna try this!!!

::prints recipe for ma::

Im sure grammy will make it for you if you finally put your clothes away and clean up the basement...

I am rubber. You are glue...

Return to Top
#1323176 - 01/12/10 08:07 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! A_G
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Zoo Mama...get a front baby carrier or a sling and cart that little package around hands free! My nephew is 4 months old and loves to in the middle of everything...his mommy just found out about the joy of packing instead of carrying.

Return to Top
#1323390 - 01/13/10 12:16 AM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! A_G
Lipty Lou Offline
Somewhere in the desert!
Not sure if you all like cheesy soup, but take the Baked Potato Soup recipe and add Velveeta to it! It melts really well and makes it creamy and CHEESY!

For this recipe I would use about 1/3 of a brick.

Enjoy!

Return to Top
#1323391 - 01/13/10 12:27 AM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Lipty Lou
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
^^^not a recipe for NotPerfect^^^

Return to Top
#1326275 - 01/19/10 01:24 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! #Just Jay
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
Does anyone have a recipe for broccoli or cauliflower soup?

Return to Top
#1326281 - 01/19/10 01:40 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Zoo Mama
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Cream of Broccoli Soup

1 potato peeled and cubed (small cubes)
1 head of broccoli, cut into flowerets
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup butter
1 large shallot, minced
1/4 cup flour
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 cup heavy cream

Cook potato and broccoli in chicken stock until potato is done. Pour mixture into food processor until pureed. Set aside.

Heat the butter in a pot with the shallot, cook until soft. Add the flour and make a roux, whisking constantly. Whisk in potato/broccoli mixture, bring to a boil, lowere heat and simmer for at least 1o minutes.

Add pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cream, keep cooking/whisking until hot.

Serve.

Return to Top
#1326282 - 01/19/10 01:43 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Retired DQ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quick escarole and bean soup

Cook 5 cloves of garlic, sliced, in olive oil until light brown, remove from pan and set aside. In the remaining oil, stir in:

6 cups chicken stock
2 cans cannelini beans
pepper to taste
1 head of escarole, chopped coarsely

Cook for 20 or so minutes. Serve with parmesan cheese and the reserved garlic pieces.

Return to Top
#1326341 - 01/19/10 02:55 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Retired DQ
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Not a soup but I made this over the weekend and it was very, very good. I'll be making this again. It'll be great for family get togethers or taking to the lake and just heating up:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Ingredients:

1 pork tenderloin or roast
salt
pepper
onion powder
12-16 ounce root beer
1 (18 ounce) bottle your favorite barbecue sauce
8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted

Directions:

1. Season pork and place in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat. Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6 to 7 hours. Remove from crockpot, drain root beer, retaining about a third of a cup. Shred pork and return to crockpot. I sprinkled some of the root beer juice to the pork before adding bbq sauce.

Note: The recipe called for pork loin, but I used a roast.

Return to Top
#1326352 - 01/19/10 03:08 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! HRH Okie Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
too hot for soup, mid-70's all week; last night's now was 60...

bring on the gespacho...

Return to Top
#1339885 - 02/08/10 11:18 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Pale Rider
Ledeana Offline
Diamond Poster
California
During the last week I made the minestrone, pulled pork and beer cheese soup recipes from this thread. All very yummy!

Return to Top
#1341080 - 02/10/10 05:34 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Ledeana
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I just made this today: Tortellini Vegetable Soup

3 cans chicken stock
1 can beef stock
2 soup cans of water
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
garlic powder, oregano, basil, black pepper to taste

Cook for about 2 hrs, add 2 cups frozen peas and carrots and 2 cups of shredded spinach. Set aside. When ready to eat, bring soup to a boil and add 1 package of cheese or meat tortellini (I use meat) and cook for aas long as the package says. Serve with hot Italian bread.

Return to Top
#1341086 - 02/10/10 05:38 PM Re: Baby, it's cold outside-- Let's make SOUP!!! Retired DQ
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
We had three rotissarie chickens at dinner last night and I brought the carcasses home. So, I'll be making stock tonight!!

Return to Top
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10