BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1319695 - 01/07/10 03:57 PM Time Machine - History Revealed
buggs Offline
Power Poster
History Revealed @ NASA

More than 12 billion years of cosmic history are shown in this panoramic, full-color view of thousands of galaxies.

This image, taken by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, was made from mosaics taken in September and October 2009 with the newly installed Wide Field Camera 3 and in 2004 with the Advanced Camera for Surveys and covers a portion of the southern field of a large galaxy census called the Great Observatories Origins Deep Survey, a deep-sky study by several observatories to trace the evolution of galaxies.

The image reveals galaxy shapes that appear increasingly chaotic at each earlier epoch, as galaxies grew through accretion, collisions and mergers, which range from the mature spirals and ellipticals in the foreground, to smaller, fainter, irregularly shaped galaxies, most of which are farther away, and therefore existed farther back in time. These smaller galaxies are considered the building blocks of the larger galaxies we see today.

The image shows a rich tapestry of 7,500 galaxies stretching back through most of the universe's history. The closest galaxies seen in the foreground emitted their observed light about a billion years ago. The farthest galaxies, a few of the very faint red specks, are seen as they appeared more than 13 billion years ago, or roughly 650 million years after the Big Bang. This mosaic spans a slice of space that is equal to about a third of the diameter of the full moon (10 arc minutes).

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1319766 - 01/07/10 04:36 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed buggs
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
So the Hubble is now a time machine confused It can see back in time confused

Return to Top
#1319769 - 01/07/10 04:37 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed DD Regs
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
uh, no.

Return to Top
#1319770 - 01/07/10 04:37 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed DD Regs
A_G Online
10K Club
confused

Return to Top
#1319829 - 01/07/10 05:16 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed DD Regs
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
So the Hubble is now a time machine confused It can see back in time confused

Not "now," it always has been.

Return to Top
#1319838 - 01/07/10 05:19 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed buggs
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Technically, everything we see is history since we are seeing things as they were before the light has travelled to our eyes and has been processed by our brains.

Return to Top
#1319841 - 01/07/10 05:20 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed GuitarDude
A_G Online
10K Club
^^^deep^^^

Return to Top
#1319847 - 01/07/10 05:22 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed GuitarDude
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Technically, everything we see is history since we are seeing things as they were before the light has travelled to our eyes and has been processed by our brains.

Kinda like those 15 second delays on Super Bowl halftime shows.

Return to Top
#1319902 - 01/07/10 05:46 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed buggs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
This is more global warming type propaganda disguised as science!

Return to Top
#1319922 - 01/07/10 05:54 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed Pale Rider
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Pale
This is more global warming type propaganda disguised as science!

That's right, Pale, because we all know that light travel's instantaneously through space. Those who believe otherwise are selling something.

Actually, I've read that there is some scientific evidence that light has not always travelled at 186,000 mph and that it may have traveled faster at one time. This is because modern measurements rely upon radiation and that if the radiation is slowing down and the same rate as the speed of light, the measurements will remain constant. There is evidence that pre-modern measurements showed light speed was slowing. Of course, there will always be discussion and controversy. But that's what I read.

Return to Top
#1319968 - 01/07/10 06:14 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed buggs
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
"Actually, I've read that there is some scientific evidence that light has not always travelled at 186,000 mph and that it may have traveled faster at one time."

Maybe it is getting tired?

Or maybe it's the high price of gas?

Or maybe "Light" is driving a Prius? laugh

Return to Top
#1320015 - 01/07/10 06:46 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed YosemiteSamIAm
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Guess Who?!
"Actually, I've read that there is some scientific evidence that light has not always travelled at 186,000 mph and that it may have traveled faster at one time."

Maybe it is getting tired? Or maybe it's the high price of gas? Or maybe "Light" is driving a Prius? laugh

Perhaps, but since the speed of light is what is used to determine the age of the universe, the implication of light slowing down means the universe would actually be smaller (and younger) than we think.

Return to Top
#1320033 - 01/07/10 06:57 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
You always see back in time. The way Hubble does it is that light takes time to travel to your eye. Lets use the sun for example. The light takes several minutes to reach you. Thus when you look at the sun you see it several minutes ago.

The same is true about everything. When a star is several million light years away, you are viewing it as it looked several million years ago. Its because the light that it generated at that moment is reaching you now. So how does Hubble see back further in time than you. By using magnification and still allowying the light that cassagrin telescopes can allow it magnifies things thus seeing things further away and furthre back in time.

Return to Top
#1320037 - 01/07/10 06:58 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed buggs
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny

Maybe it is getting tired? Or maybe it's the high price of gas? Or maybe "Light" is driving a Prius? laugh

Perhaps, but since the speed of light is what is used to determine the age of the universe, the implication of light slowing down means the universe would actually be smaller (and younger) than we think.
Hey, that means entropy is further off than we thought! That is, if the universe is indeed a closed thermodynamic system.

Return to Top
#1320041 - 01/07/10 07:00 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed Sound Tactic
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: bugs bunny
That's right, Pale, because we all know that light travel's instantaneously through space. Those who believe otherwise are selling something.

This is false, or a slip of the tongue. Light has a speed to it and it does not travel through space instantly. It is the second fastest known object but not even close to instant.

Return to Top
#1320044 - 01/07/10 07:01 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed Sound Tactic
A_G Online
10K Club
What's the first?

black hole? confused

Return to Top
#1320052 - 01/07/10 07:04 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed A_G
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Interestingly enough black holes tend to move slowly (by the standard of light, but they really move super fast in the micro scheme of things), because they bend time and space around them. The fastest is some particle that has actually gone backwards in time in some tests. I cannot google search it where I am at, but you may be able to. It is actually true.

Return to Top
#1320055 - 01/07/10 07:04 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed A_G
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Originally Posted By: Matty_Boi
What's the first?

black hole? confused
Tachyons.

Return to Top
#1320058 - 01/07/10 07:06 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed YosemiteSamIAm
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Matty_Boi
What's the first?

black hole? confused
Tachyons.

That may be it. I thought there was something even faster though. So maybe light is not even 2nd.

Return to Top
#1320062 - 01/07/10 07:09 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed Sound Tactic
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Light has a speed to it and it does not travel through space instantly. It is the second fastest known object but not even close to instant.

The fastest known object is Ms.Gilmore on payday heading to the mall...

Return to Top
#1320066 - 01/07/10 07:10 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed HappyGilmore
A_G Online
10K Club
Or Deek downing a 5th a gin...

Return to Top
#1320069 - 01/07/10 07:11 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed HappyGilmore
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Sorry Happy. That is too fast for the naked eye to see. Not even sensors can confirm this. Although retailers seem to suggest this is an accurate statement.

Return to Top
#1320131 - 01/07/10 07:33 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed Sound Tactic
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Shemp
Originally Posted By: bugs bunny

This is false, or a slip of the tongue. Light has a speed to it and it does not travel through space instantly. It is the second fastest known object but not even close to instant.

Really?

Return to Top
#1320134 - 01/07/10 07:34 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed Sound Tactic
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Shemp
Interestingly enough black holes tend to move slowly (by the standard of light, but they really move super fast in the micro scheme of things), because they bend time and space around them. The fastest is some particle that has actually gone backwards in time in some tests. I cannot google search it where I am at, but you may be able to. It is actually true.

So the key for an object to move back in time is the speed at which it moves through space?

Return to Top
#1320212 - 01/07/10 08:08 PM Re: Time Machine - History Revealed buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I am not sure I understand your question and I do not know much about the concept of time in physics (or at least as it relates to going back in time). I always thought that technically if you exceed the speed of light you are going back in time. IE, it appears at the end before it appears at the beginning.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2