BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#261784 - 10/27/04 01:40 PM SD Boxes
Bobbie Offline
New Poster
Bobbie
Tennessee
What do other banks do regarding their Safe Deposit Box Contracts? Do you keep the contract and entrance card at the branch or do you store the contracts at say for ex. offsite Operations Department? What do you do when the customer comes in to close the box if they are stored off site? I need some help or guidance examples. Thanks!!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#261785 - 10/27/04 02:27 PM Re: SD Boxes
ABrown Offline
Gold Star
Texas
If they are kept off-site, how can you compare signatures, ID's, etc. of the people trying to access the boxes? We have a software program for contracts, etc. but we still pull contracts to compare signatures of the people who are accessing the boxes. In our state (TX) we have the customers sign the contract to close the account, so it is just not feasable for us to have the contracts anywhere but in the branch.

Return to Top
#261786 - 10/27/04 03:29 PM Re: SD Boxes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've worked in 4 banks over the last 20 year and each of them stored the contracts at the branch.

Return to Top
#1294239 - 11/25/09 10:53 PM Re: SD Boxes Anonymous
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I search over the last 8 years and could not find this...but this thread seemed the most likely to ask this question in:

How are you storing the contracts? Is anyone scanning them?

We had them in "filing type" cabinets.

Then they put them in binders.

But I'm worried the binders will grow legs.

Can I just take a quick survey? How are you storing your contracts?

Return to Top
#1294241 - 11/25/09 11:00 PM Re: SD Boxes QCL
Compliance4521 Offline
Platinum Poster
Compliance4521
Washington
We have a contracts program which was instituted at the Bank level allows for a decentralized process. Our business units are accountable to ensure signed contracts are retained within their own departments.

Various divisions, (legal, compliance and others) are part of the review process, however, the ultimate signed contract stays with the department who owns the vender relationship.

Lori

Return to Top
#1294515 - 11/27/09 04:28 PM Re: SD Boxes Compliance4521
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Ours are imaged so they can be accessed to verify sigs, and then printed off to get sigs when box closes. This doc is then imaged also.

Return to Top
#1294640 - 11/27/09 05:58 PM Re: SD Boxes
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
In all my experiance (20 yrs) the contract and access cards have been kept at the location of the SDB.

Return to Top
#1321230 - 01/08/10 07:35 PM Re: SD Boxes DD Regs
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
But how DD? In a cabinet? 3 ring binders?

Georgia Plum, can I ask who your core processor is?

Return to Top
#1321260 - 01/08/10 07:44 PM Re: SD Boxes QCL
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
There are a couple of companies that sell rolling carts for the signature cards, that way they can be rolled in to the vault over night for safe keeping...they can either be filed alpha or numeric.....

Return to Top
#1322412 - 01/12/10 05:19 AM Re: SD Boxes RBanker
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
We keep contracts and access cards in a card file cabinet filed by box number. we also have an alphabetical file that references the box number for the customers who forget their box #. In those cases, we do verify ID
Last edited by working girl; 01/12/10 05:19 AM.
Return to Top
#1322444 - 01/12/10 01:00 PM Re: SD Boxes Deputy Dawn
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: working girl
We keep contracts and access cards in a card file cabinet filed by box number. we also have an alphabetical file that references the box number for the customers who forget their box #. In those cases, we do verify ID

I could read that a couple of ways, and one of them concerns me. The mere possession of the key and knowledge of the box number don't, in my opinion, guarantee that the warm body with the key is the lessee of the box. In many banks, there are long-standing customers and veteran employees, and repeated ID checking isn't needed. But I hope that any staff member charged as "gatekeeper" to the boxes would be checking ID for any individual whom he or she doesn't know, whether or not the individual knows the box number.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1322894 - 01/12/10 05:12 PM Re: SD Boxes John Burnett
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Queen CL, our core processor is Fidelity.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett