BOL Conferences
Page 70 of 94 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 93 94
Thread Options
#1324245 - 01/13/10 10:12 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 4newt
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Here's the problem with the whole "Credit Report Fee" debacle - some institutions order a separate type of credit report such as a "tri-merge" or similar type of product which comes with standard cost - typically $20 to $35 for an individual report, pricing may be different for a joint credit report.

In that instance, it is pretty easy to diclose the fee whether you are charging the borrower or simply eating it.

The PROBLEM is for those institutions that use a typical Experian, Equifax or Transunion report that would also order for an auto loan request, credit card request, or for a guarantor on a business loan. This is most common in smaller institutions that have only one account set up with the credit bureau, and the fee is based on tiered volume - for example $3.00 per report for the first 100, $2.75 for the next 500, and so on, and I've seen the pricing for monthly tiers and quarterly tiers.

In those situations the lender typically does not charge the borrower specifically for the credit report fee, and indeed may not even KNOW what the specific fee for that request is until 90 days after the report has been ordered.

So to start including these on the GFE and HUD just gets messy and frankly wanders into the territory of "I really don't care about this piddly fee, but please tell me more about my options on loan points" for the borrower. It becomes obsessive/compulsive compliance that would make Monk proud.

Return to Top
RESPA
#1324267 - 01/13/10 10:26 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Princess Romeo
jross Offline
100 Club
TX
We are doing a in house renewal and extension of a 5Y balloon and the seller must pay interest at closing. Do we need to reflect this interest payment on our GFE?

Return to Top
#1324271 - 01/13/10 10:27 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 OldSchoolBanker
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
So on a GFE for a condo purchase, where the association pays the hazard insurance out of the HOA dues, what do we put in block 11?

Return to Top
#1324289 - 01/13/10 10:41 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 RR Joker
parr04 Offline
Gold Star
oklahoma

RESPA covered construction loan. $ 175,000.00, 1yr.
advancing@ 6.35% fixed, interest due at maturity

what should we put in "summary of your loan" for the
monthly payment?

Return to Top
#1324294 - 01/13/10 10:45 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 parr04
Amos Offline
100 Club
USA
Originally Posted By: TooTall

RESPA covered construction loan. $ 175,000.00, 1yr.
advancing@ 6.35% fixed, interest due at maturity

what should we put in "summary of your loan" for the
monthly payment?

This question has been asked a couple of times in different threads, and I don't think anyone knows the answer. We have decided to disclose a payment equal to the monthly interest owed for the full loan amount [(loan amount times interest rate) divided by 12].

Return to Top
#1324355 - 01/14/10 12:45 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 JBledsoe
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: JBledsoe
ok i hope you guys can help with this one.

We have issued our first GFE and it is available for 10 days. on the 6th day say, we have to reissue because of a changed circumstance and the rate is not locked. I understand that we have to start the 10 day availablity over again. Now what i need to know is, after we have done the reissue and the GFE starts over, can we close before that second 10 day period is up??

i hope this makes sense, we were having a discussion.

Thanks!
Jessie

Yes, you can.

Return to Top
#1324400 - 01/14/10 01:50 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 pjs
MarieR Offline
Platinum Poster
Stupid question warning - If we are doing a single pay loan with monthly interest payments, is this considered a balloon payment for the loan summary section of the GFE?

Return to Top
#1324407 - 01/14/10 01:55 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 #Just Jay
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
So on a GFE for a condo purchase, where the association pays the hazard insurance out of the HOA dues, what do we put in block 11?

I wouldn't put anything there except when the borrower needs to obtain seperate H06 coverage which in some cases escrowing is required. In our shop, if the loan went through DU and the master policy does not include HO6 coverage, the borrower must obtain it and we escrow. If it is LP, we don't (for now anyway)

Return to Top
#1324409 - 01/14/10 01:57 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 pjs
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: pjs

We have issued our first GFE and it is available for 10 days. on the 6th day say, we have to reissue because of a changed circumstance and the rate is not locked. I understand that we have to start the 10 day availablity over again. Now what i need to know is, after we have done the reissue and the GFE starts over, can we close before that second 10 day period is up??

Thanks!
Jessie

Yes, you can.
\

If I may add that it can provided the 7 day wait under REG Z is met.

Return to Top
#1324457 - 01/14/10 02:56 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Princess Romeo
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
Originally Posted By: Princess Rooney

The PROBLEM is for those institutions that use a typical Experian, Equifax or Transunion report that would also order for an auto loan request, credit card request, or for a guarantor on a business loan. This is most common in smaller institutions that have only one account set up with the credit bureau, and the fee is based on tiered volume - for example $3.00 per report for the first 100, $2.75 for the next 500, and so on, and I've seen the pricing for monthly tiers and quarterly tiers.

And why is it this way?? We have had to get with other local vendors and basically tell them they need to set their pricing list & stick to it due to disclosure requirements of RESPA. I see many threads from people struggling with how to disclose this little charge because no one ever knows what it's going to be. Why hasn't a trade association or someone tried to get these large, national vendors to figure out their pricing structure so banks can properly disclose?

Return to Top
#1324539 - 01/14/10 04:08 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 JBledsoe
RR Joker Online
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp

Thanks!
Jessie

sure you can, as long as you have met the seven day requirement for Reg Z.
Last edited by RR joker; 01/14/10 04:16 PM. Reason: closed the end quote mark

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1324554 - 01/14/10 04:15 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Bullseye
RR Joker Online
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: Bullseye
Originally Posted By: Princess Rooney

And why is it this way?? We have had to get with other local vendors and basically tell them they need to set their pricing list & stick to it due to disclosure requirements of RESPA. I see many threads from people struggling with how to disclose this little charge because no one ever knows what it's going to be. Why hasn't a trade association or someone tried to get these large, national vendors to figure out their pricing structure so banks can properly disclose?

We are using a blended average charge.

Return to Top
#1324556 - 01/14/10 04:17 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 MarieR
RR Joker Online
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: MarieR
Stupid question warning - If we are doing a single pay loan with monthly interest payments, is this considered a balloon payment for the loan summary section of the GFE?

yes

Return to Top
#1324571 - 01/14/10 04:23 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 RR Joker
Kahola Offline
Platinum Poster
Kahola
Scottsdale, AZ. 85255
New question: On a purchase transaction when the borrower has already selected the title company as shown on the purchase contract which is signed prior to the bank receiving (sometimes the contract has been signed 30 days in advance)the loan application, must we still provide a written list of providers? I know there has been some discussion on this subject however, it doesn't make sense that we would provide a list when the borrower chose the title company before we even received the application.

Return to Top
#1324577 - 01/14/10 04:28 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 RR Joker
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree with Dan that ALL fees must be disclosed on the GFE - no matter who pays for it. This is consistent with the regulation and FAQs.

What we are seeing is inconsistent answers from HUD through emails. Unless it comes from the regulation or is in the FAQs, I advise not relying on it. Several pages back I posted an email I got from HUD about not having to list transfer taxes. Then I got a call from David Friend - a HUD attorney. He indicated he read this post and the answer I got (in an email from HUD) was wrong.

HUD: Are you reading this? You've got to update your FAQs with the issues were posting here!

Return to Top
#1324578 - 01/14/10 04:28 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Kahola
BNKO Offline
100 Club
We have a complete application and mailed the GFE, Intent to Proceed, etc to the borrower last week. This week the borrower brought in the signed "Intent to Proceed" and we requested the check for the appraisal. The borrower decides to lock the rate. Now a new GFE is being prepared for the rate lock under a changed circumstance. Do we have to wait for the second "Intent to Proceed" or is the first one sufficient?

Return to Top
#1324593 - 01/14/10 04:42 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 BNKO
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Someone posted (in this very long and convoluted string) that they talked to HUD and learned that you don't have to get an "intent to proceed" when you reissue a GFE. That doesn't make sense to me but there's no official guidance. I would think you would need this every time. For instance, I issue a GFE with closing costs of $1000. The applicant lets me know they want to proceed. Then there is a changed circumstance. I reissue a GFE with costs of $2,000 now. I don't have to make sure they want to go on?

I would give some type of confirmation every time.

Return to Top
#1324597 - 01/14/10 04:48 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
BNKO Offline
100 Club
David, in your opinion, would it be acceptable to collect the appraisal fee after you have received the first intent to proceed, or should you not collect any fee, other than the credit report, until after you receive the subsequent intent to proceed?

Return to Top
#1324698 - 01/14/10 06:03 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 BNKO
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
After you receive the first intent to proceed you should collect all of your "normal" fees. If you have a change that requires another fee, I believe you should issue the GFE, get their intent and then collect the additional fee.

Return to Top
#1324705 - 01/14/10 06:07 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: David Dickinson
What we are seeing is inconsistent answers from HUD through emails. Unless it comes from the regulation or is in the FAQs, I advise not relying on it.

HUD: Are you reading this? You've got to update your FAQs with the issues were posting here!

I sent the following to David Friend at HUD:
--------------------------------------------------------------

I can’t imagine how busy you are with the RESPA changes that went into effect in January, but I wanted to bring your attention to the mass confusion at Bankers Online. When you called me a few weeks ago, you indicated you had read a post I made (quoting an email I got from HUD about transfer taxes that was incorrect). Have you been reading the posts lately? Please review this thread that over 1700 posts to it. http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1324593&#Post1324593
If you start at the back and move up, you’ll see numerous posts with inconsistent answers from HUD.

For instance:
I've received some responses to questions I've asked HUD...I thought the replies might be helpful.

1. If the lender does not charge the customer for a credit report does it still have to be disclosed on the GFE and on the HUD as POC Lender?
HUD Rep's answer-If the charge for the credit report is not charged to the borrower it does not have to be disclosed.

2. If an attorney prepares documents such as Mortgage, Exhibit, Notice of Seizure, Cash Sale, where should the fee be disclosed?
HUD Rep's answer was it should be disclosed in Block 4.

3. When and where to disclose property tax on the GFE and HUD 1/1A.
HUD Rep's reply was that the only time property taxes are disclosed on the GFE is those held in escrow, page 2, Block 9. There are two occasions you will have the borrower paying taxes that do not appear on the GFE:
1. Tax payments due at the time of closing.
2. Adjustments between buyer and seller.
In both cases, these must be put either on the HUD1 or HUD1A. You would show the tax adjustment on 107/407 or 211/511 (which ever applies). Tax payments to be dispursed, as in a refinance, should be disclosed in between lines 1302-1305, Additional Settlement Charges, and clearly identified.

Just thought I'd share this...hope it is helpful.

The first two are NOT consistent with the regulation or FAQs.

HUD updated the FAQs on 11/19/09. The December FAQ update changed 1 answer and stated the booklets are now available. Is there any hope for more frequent updates with more information? There are lots of questions that are not answered. I’m advising our clients with the following: “Unless it comes from the regulation or is in the FAQs, I advise not relying on it.”

Thank you for any insight you have on this confusion.
--------------------------------------------------------------

If I get a response, I'll post it.

Return to Top
#1324789 - 01/14/10 06:52 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 David Dickinson
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thank you, David. I thought I had this down until a fellow BOLer posted
Quote:
My contact at HUD told me that if the seller "typically pays" the fees in the market in question, then no - they are not on the GFE. We have various states we are working with, and we are only disclosing the fees that are "typically" paid by the borrower.
GFE-Seller paid items uses 'typically' too. What definition of 'typically' are the examiners going to use?

I'll be checking back often for Mr. Friend's response.

Return to Top
#1324826 - 01/14/10 07:10 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Truffle Royale
Pounder Offline
Does a F/I have to issue a Borrowers Achknowledgement (Intent to Proceed)?

Return to Top
#1324843 - 01/14/10 07:18 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Pounder
ML Offline
100 Club
I have a question on where interest reserves for construction loans would go on the new GFE? I'm thinking it will go in block 9??
Last edited by ML; 01/14/10 07:30 PM.
Return to Top
#1324855 - 01/14/10 07:27 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 Pounder
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Pounder
Does a F/I have to issue a Borrowers Achknowledgement (Intent to Proceed)?
No. The borrower has to 'express intent' but no directive is given as to how.

Return to Top
#1324915 - 01/14/10 08:06 PM Re: RESPA changes 1-1-10 RR Joker
mariem Offline
Where would credit life insurance go on the new HUD?

Return to Top
Page 70 of 94 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 93 94

Moderator:  QCL