Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1327405 - 01/20/10 06:35 PM Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
WASHINGTON – The nation's intelligence chief said Wednesday that the Christmas Day airline bombing suspect should have been treated as a terror suspect when the plane landed. That would have meant questioning him initially by special interrogators rather than standard law enforcement officers.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was interviewed by federal law enforcement investigators when Northwest Flight 253 landed in Detroit after he allegedly tried to detonate a homemade bomb sneaked through airport security in Nigeria and Amsterdam. Abdulmutallab is being held in a prison about 50 miles outside of Detroit.

Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair told the Senate Homeland Security Committee that he was not consulted on whether Abdulmutallab should be questioned by the recently created High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group, or HIG.

"That unit was created exactly for this purpose," Blair said. "We did not invoke the HIG in this case. We should have."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100120/ap_on_go_co/us_terror_hearings

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1327501 - 01/20/10 07:57 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
so let's read 'em his rights and contact the public defender...

Return to Top
#1327559 - 01/20/10 08:33 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled straw
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Originally Posted By: straw
WASHINGTON – The nation's intelligence chief said Wednesday that the Christmas Day airline bombing suspect should have been treated as a terror suspect when the plane landed. That would have meant questioning him initially by special interrogators rather than standard law enforcement officers.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was interviewed by federal law enforcement investigators when Northwest Flight 253 landed in Detroit after he allegedly tried to detonate a homemade bomb sneaked through airport security in Nigeria and Amsterdam. Abdulmutallab is being held in a prison about 50 miles outside of Detroit.

Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair told the Senate Homeland Security Committee that he was not consulted on whether Abdulmutallab should be questioned by the recently created High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group, or HIG.

"That unit was created exactly for this purpose," Blair said. "We did not invoke the HIG in this case. We should have."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100120/ap_on_go_co/us_terror_hearings
This kind of "cr*p" is what happens when you get too many layers of bureaucracy designed to protect suspects rather than citizens. Cut out the red tape, handcuff the guy when the plane touches down, tell him he may get an attorney when Christmas is celebrated in H*ll, then transfer him as the first new detainee in the reopened paradise known as Gitmo...

Return to Top
#1327792 - 01/21/10 12:36 AM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled YosemiteSamIAm
SunnyT Offline
Diamond Poster
SunnyT
Sandy Beach - Florida
^^^Ditto

Return to Top
#1328597 - 01/21/10 11:59 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled YosemiteSamIAm
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: YosemiteSamIAm
This kind of "cr*p" is what happens when you get too many layers of bureaucracy designed to protect suspects rather than citizens. Cut out the red tape, handcuff the guy when the plane touches down, tell him he may get an attorney when Christmas is celebrated in H*ll, then transfer him as the first new detainee in the reopened paradise known as Gitmo...

And this is the kind of "cr*p" that happens when people lose respect for the rule of law:

The Ox Bow Incident

If anyone reading this has never seen this film starring Henry Fonda, I highly recommend you get it and watch it. I know it might cut into your Facebook time, but it's worth it.

Return to Top
#1328601 - 01/22/10 12:02 AM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled buggs
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
You are seriously equating that anyone who thinks a foreign enemy combatant should not be given constiutional rights is akin to a vigilante mob?

Return to Top
#1328635 - 01/22/10 04:11 AM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled straw
buggs Offline
Power Poster
straw, I'm saying we don't let vigilantes bring their own justice to anyone. Following rule of law may be frustrating at times, but it's part of what makes us better than those who flaunt it. If we ignore our own laws, then we're just a bunch of hooligans and perhaps we deserve what we get.

Disclaimer: I know this is difficult for some folks around here to fathom, but I am speaking in a broader sense than just this particular situation. I am trying to look at the big picture here. However, just as some refuse to understand me when I share my views about privacy, I am afraid some will misunderstand, or misconstrue what I'm trying to promote.

Return to Top
#1328636 - 01/22/10 04:13 AM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled buggs
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Answer me this question straw: Is it better for a guilty man to get away with something or an innocent man to be punished for something that he didn't do?

Go watch The Oxbow Incident and then we can talk.

Return to Top
#1328850 - 01/22/10 04:08 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled buggs
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Bugs, I reject the entire premise you are coming from in that this is a criminal justice issue.

These are not crimes, these are acts of war committed by non-uniformed combatants (enemy combatants under the Geneva Convention).

As such, there is a rule of law, just not the US Constitution. It is the Geneva Convention and other treaties governing the conduct of war.

Therefore, locking these people up after following the rules regarding declaring them enemy combatants is precisely following the rule of law, just not the rule of law you agree with.

This is not vigilantism and is governed by law as ascribed to by nearly every nation on earth.

Return to Top
#1328877 - 01/22/10 04:24 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

have we gotten to the bottom of how high up the decision was made to classify this guy as a non-enemy combatant?

Return to Top
#1328893 - 01/22/10 04:30 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled Pale Rider
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Bravo Straw. Therein is the heart of the issue.

Return to Top
#1328898 - 01/22/10 04:32 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled buggs
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
Answer me this question straw: Is it better for a guilty man to get away with something or an innocent man to be punished for something that he didn't do?

Go watch The Oxbow Incident and then we can talk.

it's better for a guilty man to get away with something

sorry...i know i'm not straw...i just couldn't resist smile

Return to Top
#1328944 - 01/22/10 04:53 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled Miscuit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
flee temptation!!!!

Return to Top
#1328962 - 01/22/10 04:59 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I would say if an innocent man is punished, after the law was followed, that this is better. he had his day in court and lost. The jails are full of innocent people (watch the Shawshank Redemption).

Return to Top
#1328976 - 01/22/10 05:05 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Pale
what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

have we gotten to the bottom of how high up the decision was made to classify this guy as a non-enemy combatant?

From the testimony, Attorney General Holder apparently made the decision to mirandize without consulting the intelligence chiefs.

Return to Top
#1328988 - 01/22/10 05:15 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
then comrade Holder should resign and apologize for this grevious error in judgement.....

has anyone been fired, reprimanded, counseled, demoted...anything?

Return to Top
#1328993 - 01/22/10 05:17 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
No, but Obama is reportedly very dissapointed in them.

Return to Top
#1329027 - 01/22/10 05:42 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled straw
Peepers Offline
10K Club
and if he were the type to hand out grades, he would probably give them a C-

Return to Top
#1329077 - 01/22/10 06:15 PM Re: Intel chief says Christmas bomb case mishandled Peepers
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: Triumph
and if he were the type to hand out grades, he would probably give them a C-

Wow, you're pretty harsh...but I don't think Obama's grading scale goes below a B, maybe a B- at worst

Return to Top