Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1328024 - 01/21/10 04:16 PM Commerical Loan Secured by Primary Residence
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Is a commercial loan secured by the borrowers primary residence a HMDA Reportable Loan. Can you provide the reference to REG C for your answer.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1328065 - 01/21/10 04:37 PM Re: Commerical Loan Secured by Primary Residence Soccer
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
if the initial loan is not to purchase, refinance or improve a residence, the initial loan is not HMDA reportable. Refer to the definition of application for HMDA purposes:

"Application. (1) In general. Application means an oral or written request for a home purchase loan, a home improvement loan, or a refinancing that is made in accordance with procedures used by a financial institution for the type of credit requested."

More detail is provided in the HMDA Getting It Right Guide and FAQs.

A commercial loan secured by residential real estate is reportable when it is refinanced. Refer to the definition of refinance.

"Refinancing means a new obligation that satisfies and replaces an existing obligation by the same borrower, in which:
(1) For coverage purposes, the existing obligation is a home purchase loan (as determined by the lender, for example, by reference to available documents; or as stated by the applicant), and both the existing obligation and the new obligation are secured by first liens on dwellings; and
(2) For reporting purposes, both the existing obligation and the new obligation are secured by liens on dwellings."
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1328430 - 01/21/10 08:48 PM Re: Commerical Loan Secured by Primary Residence Kathleen O. Blanchard
Relax Offline
Platinum Poster
We report ANY loan (commercial or ag or residential, etc etc) that falls under the 3 purposes of HMDA. We have tons of commercial loans that are secured by borrowers primary residence, and if the purpose is to purchase a rental house or if any of the funds are for improving a dwelling secured property, or if any of the funds are paying off and replacing another dwelling secured loan (any dwelling sec. loan) then it is reportable. Hope this helps.

Return to Top
#1328715 - 01/22/10 02:34 PM Re: Commerical Loan Secured by Primary Residence Relax
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I was informed by an examiner that ANY new note that replaces an existing one against a residence qualifies as a refi for HMDA, regardless of original purpose. We report accordingly.

Return to Top
#1328880 - 01/22/10 04:25 PM Re: Commerical Loan Secured by Primary Residence RR Becca

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
That is why business loans that are secured by a residence are reportable as a refinance, even when the original loan was not reportable.

Return to Top
#1329007 - 01/22/10 05:26 PM Re: Commerical Loan Secured by Primary Residence Kathleen O. Blanchard
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I missed that sentence in your answer, Kaybee. Serves me right for reading too fast. smile

Return to Top
#1329082 - 01/22/10 06:19 PM Re: Commerical Loan Secured by Primary Residence RR Becca

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Well, the reporting makes no sense anyway! whistle

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM