Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1327995 - 01/21/10 03:58 PM Business Debit Card Holders
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Can someone please clarify for me that Reg E does not apply to a business account and why? I know there has to be an explanation....I just don't know what it is. I have done a search and didn't find the answer I was looking for so if someone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1328124 - 01/21/10 05:23 PM Re: Business Debit Card Holders Carly Girl
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Regulation E

Sec. 205.3 Coverage.

(a) General. This part applies to any electronic fund transfer that authorizes a financial institution to debit or credit a consumer’s account. Generally, this part applies to financial institutions.

Return to Top
#1328496 - 01/21/10 09:51 PM Re: Business Debit Card Holders
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Can someone be more specific please?

Return to Top
#1328566 - 01/21/10 10:43 PM Re: Business Debit Card Holders Carly Girl
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Coverage tells you the reg applies to consumers. The definitions in Reg E define consumer:

(e) Consumer means a natural person.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1329128 - 01/22/10 06:48 PM Re: Business Debit Card Holders Kathleen O. Blanchard
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
I guess what I am asking is if there is any reason as to why a business account is not covered other than the fact that Reg E states so.

If a business customer files a dispute because their card # has been compromised, charges appear on their statement are clearly overseas transactions, the business customer just loses the money because they have no rights at all to get their money back? Then why would they want to have a card in the fist place if their card is not covered? This is what confuses me.

Anyone?

Return to Top
#1329180 - 01/22/10 07:12 PM Re: Business Debit Card Holders Carly Girl
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
It's no different than other consumer protection laws, it only protects consumers. The law generally assumes that a business doesn't need any protection; i.e. it's on an equal status with the bank.

The fact that Reg E does not apply does not mean banks do not work with their business customers to resolve EFT problems, it simply means that they do not have to follow the regulation's time frames and moronic liability standards when they do so. I've never looked at them, but assume that the contract with the card issuer affords businesses some protection.

Return to Top
#1329483 - 01/22/10 09:44 PM Re: Business Debit Card Holders Elwood P. Dowd
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Assuming that your card is MasterCard or VISA branded, chances are that their Zero Liability Protection applies.

MasterCard Business Debit Cards

VISA Business Debit Cards

Hope this helps clarify for you.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett