Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Thread Options
#1330339 - 01/25/10 08:23 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Princess Romeo
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
Oh come on Princess. smile I'm sure they are real busy writing more amendments that will be equally as confusing. LOL!!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1330431 - 01/25/10 09:28 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Dolly Nugent
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
Quote:
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) also amended TILA § 104(3) to expressly cover private education loans over $25,000. [From A.S. Pratt's Truth-In-Lending Manual]

Quote:
§ 104. Exempted transactions

This title does not apply to the following:

(3) Credit transactions, other than those in which a security interest is or will be acquired in real property, or in personal property used or expected to be used as the principal dwelling of the consumer and other than private education loans (as that term is defined in section 140(a)), in which the total amount financed exceeds $25,000.

So, does this mean that private education loans that exceed $25,000 are exempt from the requirements of TILA?

Or, does it mean that private education loans are not exempt?

Return to Top
#1330509 - 01/25/10 10:23 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans PStateBank
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
It means that private education loans are not exempt - regardless of the amount of the loan.

Return to Top
#1330566 - 01/25/10 11:30 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Princess Romeo
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
The great nes just continues - We use Wolters Kluwer forms in our loan software & got the word that they, said "Sorry but we won't be supporting this revision to REg Z".

Return to Top
#1330597 - 01/26/10 01:41 AM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Princess Romeo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Princess Rooney
Sorry to bring this up again, but this is the language in the reuglation for loans that are not considered Private Education Loans:

(iii) Does not include open-end credit any loan that is secured by real property or a dwelling;

Does anyone else see a problem with the verbiage?

It's a typo - go to the actual TILA:

15 USC 1650 (a)(7) the term “private education loan”—

(B) does not include an extension of credit under an open end consumer credit plan, a reverse mortgage transaction, a residential mortgage transaction, or any other loan that is secured by real property or a dwelling;

Return to Top
#1330612 - 01/26/10 02:57 AM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans rlcarey
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thank you Randy. I guess I'm making a fussy deal about this for two reasons:

1. An industry group has sent out an e-mail stating that the Fed revised Reg. Z so that closed-end home loans are covered by the Private Education Act, and

2. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with examiners who quibbled over the wording in a BSA policy regarding foreign transactions. The policy stated any foreign transactions would require board approval, and the examiner argued it was a finding because the policy SHOULD have said that the Bank does not conduct foreign transactions but if it did, the transaction would have to be approved by the board.

TWENTY MINUTES WE TALKED ABOUT THE SERIOUSNESS OF A GRAMMATICAL AMBIGUITY.

Goose - meet Gander.

Return to Top
#1331136 - 01/26/10 07:12 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans ktac MITCH
AmyH Offline
I got the same message from Wolters Kluwer today too. Do you happen to have Rembrandt?

Return to Top
#1331205 - 01/26/10 07:45 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans AmyH
Auditman Offline
100 Club
If we already have a loan for college expenses on the books that comes up for renewal on or after February 14, will the new disclosures be required for the renewal?

Return to Top
#1331206 - 01/26/10 07:45 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans AmyH
Live 2 Comply Offline
Gold Star
Live 2 Comply
I have digested the fact that Wolters Kluwer will not support the new disclosures. Are there any sample or blank forms out there for fixed rate loans, so we can see if we can attempt to complete the necessary disclosures if we occasionally have one or two?

Return to Top
#1331477 - 01/26/10 10:23 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Auditman
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
Originally Posted By: Auditman
If we already have a loan for college expenses on the books that comes up for renewal on or after February 14, will the new disclosures be required for the renewal?

That's been asked in this thread, and noone seems to want to answer or knows what will happen.

Technically, because any refinance or consolidation of an education loan would count for the disclosures ---- my guess is that the reg will apply to these old loans too. No grandfather clauses.

Originally Posted By: Live 2 Comply
I have digested the fact that Wolters Kluwer will not support the new disclosures. Are there any sample or blank forms out there for fixed rate loans, so we can see if we can attempt to complete the necessary disclosures if we occasionally have one or two?

I have been unable to find disclosures for a fixed rate. What I think I will do for these is using the July 1st Treasury Charts plus the Depart of Ed's index's (it's a certain %+ for each type PLUS, STAFFORD, and the other one) for the term of my loan (more than likely it will be between 30 & 90 days for my customers), build my dislosure from the blank form in the Reg (and pray that I'm right).
Last edited by Always In Training; 01/26/10 10:27 PM.
Return to Top
#1331560 - 01/27/10 12:23 AM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Auditman
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: Auditman

Perhaps you can do a modification to extend the maturity date rather than renewing with a new note. Or turn the thing into a line of credit. If you are a credit union, you may want to consider making these things through LoanLiner advances.

Return to Top
#1332682 - 01/28/10 02:35 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans BLPage
HGICO Offline
Midwest
Relative to Private Education Loans, Wolters Kluwer now says they are "tracking the requests for possible changes in the future". ALL WK customers should email:

ArtalendingSup@wolterskluwer.com

and request that WK get with it and fully support these types of loans pronto. Look at what you're paying them in annual fees. Only when users unite in outrage will they respond appropriately with a solution. Take 2 minutes to email your request today!

Return to Top
#1333462 - 01/28/10 10:33 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans HGICO
crc Offline
100 Club
South Dakota
Where would we find the Applicant Self-Certification form?

Return to Top
#1333507 - 01/28/10 11:57 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans crc
pacar Offline
Gold Star
I found a copy of the self-certification form here:
http://www.nasfaa.org/PDFs/2009/SelfCertificationDraft.pdf

...but from what I understand it is up to the borrower to provide.

Does anyone else think that it's just a little nuts if "Mom" wants to take out $5000 unsecured loan and use $500 of it for "Little Susie" to pay for books that we have to give all these stinking disclosures? I mean, "Mom" is still going to use $4500 for her own needs. I just can't get my brain around the reason for disclosures and ROR on multi-purpose loans where the borrower is not the student. It makes no sense whatsoever. Am I missing something? Does it say someplace "Oh, by the way - this only applies if the borrower is a student"?!?

Is anyone else hoping that the Fed will issue a last minute "FAQ" memo like they did for HPML Balloon loans?

Return to Top
#1333588 - 01/29/10 02:01 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans pacar
manylayers Offline
Gold Star
manylayers
PA
As this all catches on...I expect that the Financial Aid Offices will keep a stack of the self-cert forms available for students...they don't have time to manually sign off on all these loans...it's why they moved to electronic certification YEARS ago.

Return to Top
#1333598 - 01/29/10 02:10 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans pacar
Bville Offline
Diamond Poster
Bville
Out West
Where did you find this form? I called several people in our local university's admission and financial aid offices yesterday and couldn't find anyone who had ever heard of it.

Return to Top
#1333622 - 01/29/10 02:29 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Bville
pacar Offline
Gold Star
I did a google-search for the official title of the form: "Private Education Loan Applicant Self Certification".

Return to Top
#1333626 - 01/29/10 02:33 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans pacar
pacar Offline
Gold Star
...The wording on the form, however, in the definitions section is a bit dated I suspect:

"A Private Education Loan is a loan provided by a private education lender that is not a Title IV loan and that is ISSUED EXPRESSLY FOR POSTSECONDARY EDUCATION EXPENSES..." (emphasis added)

So much for multiple purpose loans - at least according to this form. Too bad it's not reality.

Return to Top
#1334349 - 01/29/10 09:12 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans pacar
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
What requirements are there for the "applicant self-certification form"? where did that come from?

Return to Top
#1334386 - 01/29/10 09:33 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans raitchjay
manylayers Offline
Gold Star
manylayers
PA
that form appears to be the DRAFT model....

Return to Top
#1334404 - 01/29/10 09:51 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans manylayers
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
It's been awhile since i read the revisions...i just don't recall anything about an "applicant self-certification form"....is that for the multi-purpose loans that most of us can't stay away from or just the actual, official private education loans?

Return to Top
#1334649 - 02/01/10 02:13 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans raitchjay
manylayers Offline
Gold Star
manylayers
PA
I believe that the form is required for ALL private loans under the new definition. Title IV (federal loans) already have a certification system in place, this is an attempt to get the school and the student on-board with borrowing only what is really needed and not taking out too much extra $$$ for living expenses (a reason that private loans are sometimes more popular)

Return to Top
#1335777 - 02/02/10 05:29 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans rlcarey
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Originally Posted By: Princess Rooney
Sorry to bring this up again, but this is the language in the reuglation for loans that are not considered Private Education Loans:

(iii) Does not include open-end credit any loan that is secured by real property or a dwelling;

Does anyone else see a problem with the verbiage?

It's a typo - go to the actual TILA:

15 USC 1650 (a)(7) the term “private education loan”—

(B) does not include an extension of credit under an open end consumer credit plan, a reverse mortgage transaction, a residential mortgage transaction, or any other loan that is secured by real property or a dwelling;

I noticed this typo myself today. To me this suggests that open ended credit is exempt.

Return to Top
#1336936 - 02/03/10 07:57 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans CompDat
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
will someone cite for me where the "applicant self-certification form" is mentioned? I read the addition to Reg Z awhile back and don't recall reading that.

Return to Top
#1336937 - 02/03/10 08:00 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
nevermind...found it

Return to Top
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderator:  Andy_Z