Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#133442 - 11/21/03 11:42 PM Non receipt of funds
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a customer does not receive funds from an ATM and waits past sixty days of the mailing of the customers periodic statement to dispute the withdrawals, is an investigation necessary or can we decline the claim since the notice was untimely?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#133443 - 11/24/03 02:06 PM Re: Non receipt of funds
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
You could certainly decline their claim based on it being made after the time allowed for disputes under Reg E, but there might be a couple of other considerations, such as customer/community relations. Not knowing the size of your institution or your community, that is something that you would have to take into account.

Return to Top
#133444 - 11/24/03 04:09 PM Re: Non receipt of funds
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
I'm not sure you can deny the claim. I believe you are not subject to 205.11, error resolution procedures, including time frames for investigation and provisional credit, since the claim was not timely, but I think the customer's liability is still limited by 205.6.

Return to Top
#133445 - 11/24/03 05:09 PM Re: Non receipt of funds
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Actually, §205.6 deals only with unauthorized EFTs. Once the 60-day clock in §205.11 has run, I believe that the customer owns the problem.

I do not think that one can classify a failure to dispense (or a short dispense) as unauthorized.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett