BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1334788 - 02/01/10 04:36 PM Shark Steam Mop
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I used Xmas money to buy myself a Shark Steam Mop this weekend. I have three dogs in and out of my house throughout the day and we had a snowstorm this week. I want clean floors!

I went to town on my ceramic and wood floors yesterday. First I vacummed. Then I read all the materials that came with the Shark. I bought some distilled water to use in the machine. I mopped over every floor twice, but still had streaks. I used both sides of the pad and changed pads in between.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong? My floor feel incredibly clean but the streaks look bad.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1334806 - 02/01/10 04:46 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop HRH Okie Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I hope those aren't burn marks!?!?!?!?!!

Return to Top
#1334808 - 02/01/10 04:47 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop HRH Okie Banker
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I bought one a few weeks ago and have used it on both ceramic and marble tile (so far). I haven't had a streaking problem. You do have to move the mop more slowly than with a wet mop, and I used the steam pretty liberally.

Return to Top
#1334809 - 02/01/10 04:47 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop HRH Okie Banker
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Have you tried going the other direction (perpendicular) to the streaks? It didn't leave streaks in the infomercial. Did the pads need to be washed first? Sorry I can't really help.

(I thought you could use tap water for this.)

Return to Top
#1334815 - 02/01/10 04:51 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Bacon Boy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
BB: minerals left over from the steaming process will significantly shorten the life of ole Sharky....

but it sounds like Okie may kick it to the curb early in its life cycle anyway...........

(that is what we did with an earlier model of steam floor cleaner and now let the professionals handle this chore)

Return to Top
#1334820 - 02/01/10 04:54 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Pale Rider
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
No - I'm not kicking it to the curb. I wanted to use the distilled to help the life of the steam mop. My SIL uses this mop and her floors are spectacularly awesome. I just thought there might be some helpful hints to using the product.

Return to Top
#1334832 - 02/01/10 05:08 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop HRH Okie Banker
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I just use tap water in mine. As others have noted, you have to go very slowly when using steam. For a large area, change the cloth mop head a couple of times.

On my kitchen floor, I will sometimes squeegee the steamed area right away to clear off any remaining dirty water.

Return to Top
#1334857 - 02/01/10 05:20 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop HRH Okie Banker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
have you tried the ipad?

Return to Top
#1334858 - 02/01/10 05:21 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Hrothgar Geiger
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I may get one of these now. It's just I have to remember to go slow.

Return to Top
#1334869 - 02/01/10 05:27 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Bacon Boy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
shouldn't be a problem son.....

Return to Top
#1334874 - 02/01/10 05:29 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Bacon Boy
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
This is what I've been looking at to get for my kitchen floor. I'd still mop on my hands and knees but I thought this would help get in the tile knooks and krandy- now I'm wondering.....

My sister uses one not Shark and her floor is beautiful. I think she uses tap water too.

Return to Top
#1334888 - 02/01/10 05:41 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop pjs
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Does anyone know if these are safe on wood? We have two dogs and a cat in the house, plus us tracking in and out (I track in all sorts of fun stuff from the barn). Clean floors are kind of a holy grail at our house.

Return to Top
#1334896 - 02/01/10 05:46 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop RR Becca
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Our DIL is using one on hardwood floors and they look good. I caught the end of a commercial for another brand that puts the steam out all over the pad area instead of just one spot. Looked good, but I didn't get the name. crazy

Return to Top
#1334927 - 02/01/10 06:04 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Snow Bunny
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
My mom uses a steamer on her hardwood floors and was told by the salesperson that if you leave the steamer in the same spot for too long, it could take the finish off of the wood floor. When it is heating up or once she is finished, she just makes sure not to leave it sitting in the same spot. It really cleans her floors well and they shine beautifully!

Return to Top
#1334971 - 02/01/10 06:43 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop RR Becca
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Does anyone know if these are safe on wood? We have two dogs and a cat in the house, plus us tracking in and out (I track in all sorts of fun stuff from the barn). Clean floors are kind of a holy grail at our house.

That's just why I wanted one. We live on the farm, surrounded by cattle, with three dogs in and out - it's so hard to keep the floors clean. The majority of my floors are wood and tile, except for the bedrooms. The infommercial shows how well it works of wood floors. My SIL uses her Shark on her wood floors and they shine like a diamond in a goat's mmmm.... they really look great. I was over there for Xmas and had instant wood floor envy. Guess I'll try mine again tonite and go real slow.

Return to Top
#1334983 - 02/01/10 06:49 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop HRH Okie Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
sounds like we could eat off some of your floors.....

Return to Top
#1334986 - 02/01/10 06:50 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Pale Rider
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I bet David Haselhoff doesn't care how clean the floors are.

Return to Top
#1334992 - 02/01/10 06:52 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Peepers
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
burger all the way!

Return to Top
#1335000 - 02/01/10 06:58 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Pale Rider
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
grin

Return to Top
#1335007 - 02/01/10 07:02 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop HRH Okie Banker
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I own the older model (nto the one with the pad on both sides). You can use it on wood and laminate btu nto on vinyl/linoleum.

I always get streaks btu I deal with it, figuring I'd rather have streaks than chemicals on my floor. Plus I liek knowing the hto steam can disinfect.

My main complaint is once the steam gets goign and the pad is steamy (not even wet yet), the stupid thign is hard as he11 to push across the floor. It really sticks to my floors (laminate) and I have to put some back into it wink

I also use onyl distilled water in mine.

Return to Top
#1335012 - 02/01/10 07:03 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Dip
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Thanks Dip. I was wondering about our laminate floors.

Return to Top
#1335022 - 02/01/10 07:08 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Bacon Boy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I love the sound of stilletos on laminate, just sayin'....

Return to Top
#1335026 - 02/01/10 07:12 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop HRH Okie Banker
Lisa V Offline
New Poster
Lisa V
Texas
I have one of the older models... I use distilled water, due to the hard city water where I live... had streaking the first few times I cleaned my ceramic tile...got on line and did some research, and figured out it maybe that I spent years putting chemicals on the floor and it would take some time to get them all back up off the floor... sure enough, more steaming, better looking floor and no more streaking...
Guess it depends on how long you abused your floor with chemicals...as to how long it takes to get them back off the floor... and buy extra pads... get them damp before putting them on the mop, that helps with the streaking, too.

Return to Top
#1335039 - 02/01/10 07:20 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Pale Rider
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Pale

Lol, thsi was my house this morning!

Luna, I had the same thought abotu the streaks being old chemical build-up but had no clue how long they woudl take to go away and kinda figured if I've steam mopped a few times and still got streaks, that it couldn't be old build-up. I guess time will tell. But you're doesn't stick to the floor and get hard to push?

This is the older model some of us have: http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/1/optimized/511961_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=327&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

And thsi is the newer "pocket" one that I think Okie has:
http://www.vacuumbestprices.com/images/Euro-Pro-Shark-S3501.jpg

And this is pjs: http://honestinfomercialreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/shark_steam_mop_review.jpg

laugh

Return to Top
#1335043 - 02/01/10 07:22 PM Re: Shark Steam Mop Pale Rider
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
Originally Posted By: Pale

You and legs today... did someone pop one of those "pills" this morning?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2