Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#133489 - 11/23/03 06:08 PM Vault installation guidelines
saxxon Offline
New Poster
I'm not a security expert but I assume that there must be some kind of policy or procedures covering the secure installation of cash vaults. If anyone knows where I can find such guidelines, please let me know. We are setting up a new branch in small premises and have terrible space constraints. Given the lack of space, the architect is asking us to install the vault in the basement, where no bank staff will be sitting (with cameras & guards for security). The vault would be touching 2 "external" walls i.e. another company rents the office space on the other side and we have no means of controlling what is happening there. I see that as posing a major security risk. What do you thing ?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#133490 - 11/24/03 05:31 AM Re: Vault installation guidelines
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although I wouldn't necessarily consider the fact that the vault touches two exterior walls a major security risk, it would of course be better if it didn't have to. I assume you will have perimeter alarms in the vault area as well as contact and seismic alarms on the safe?

As far as procedures for installation, who have you contracted to install the vault? If you are using your own people, you may want to consider a third-party Financial Services company such as Diebold.

Return to Top
#133491 - 11/24/03 02:00 PM Re: Vault installation guidelines
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Regulatory guidance on vault and safe installation was abandoned many years ago. One thing you should consider is consulting with your bonding company. They may have some guidance.

Return to Top
#133492 - 11/25/03 05:19 PM Re: Vault installation guidelines
pgrimes Offline
pgrimes
Glenview, IL
Vault vendors like Diebold can provide you with guidelines that must be met for most insurance and bonding companies. While you're vault shopping, they should be able to help you.

Return to Top
#133493 - 11/25/03 06:16 PM Re: Vault installation guidelines
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
I'm certainly no vault expert either but have had a couple built from scratch back in the days when there were specific regulations. Didn't realize as one poster sugested that they had been abandoned.

Anyway,regulations or not you certainly want to protect the bank from loss as well as the embarassment of a simple hole in the wall from an adjoining suite cleaning out the vault.
You also want fire protection. Safe companies can most likely install a portable vault, if access is available to move it in, that will provide this type of protection. You can also erect some reinforced walls that are seperate from the dividing suite walls. Its a question of money and getting the most bang for the buck. IMO safety isn't cheap and remember there will be a lot more than cash in the vault to protect.

Your insurance company will have requirements to meet so you need to check with them as well. Find out what they are and start calling safe companies and see what is available.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z