Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#134003 - 11/25/03 03:14 PM Posting in the South Carolina Forum
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help -- I am a bit fustrated. Almost 30% of postings in this forum go unanswered when the poster is looking for guidance.

Are South Carolina Bankers not using this forum preferring to post and answer on other forums?

I value the opinions of those in the SC Compliance arena, but I may have to begin posting on the General Discussion Forum.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Return to Top
#134004 - 11/25/03 03:35 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I generally try to post a response when I know the answer, or know where to quickly find the answer. Questions that involve more research, I don't always get to, because I've got my own job to do. Also, I find that as we've grown and added compliance staff, I'm becoming farther and farther removed from the technical compliance knowledge and more focused on management issues like budgets, performance reviews, staff development, etc.

Are you active in the SC Compliance Officers Association? We meet once a month in Columbia for a lunch meeting, and this could be an alternate source for answers to your questions.

One final thing - it's been my experience that the users of BOL Threads typically seem to respond better when the questioner has an identity, even if it is just an alias. Anything other than just plain "Anonymous" seems to work.

Return to Top
#134005 - 11/26/03 09:11 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
BeachGirl Offline
100 Club
Myrtle Beach, SC
I, like Jim, try to answer the questions that are posted here if I know the answer, can locate the answer quickly or feel that I can contribute something worthwhile. However, if it is going to require extensive research, I just don't have the time to devote to it.

Return to Top
#134006 - 12/01/03 09:15 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
We definitely want to help you, please keep posting!! Sometimes we have to research the answers. I join with MagicBanker in encouraging you to join us for monthly meetings at the SC Compliance Officers Association.

Return to Top
#134007 - 12/03/03 06:30 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
tiner Offline
tiner
South Carolina
Like Anon, I am a relatively new Compliance Officer and would like information on becoming a part of the SC Compliance Officers Association. How can I find out more details?

Return to Top
#134008 - 12/03/03 08:09 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
Anonymous
Unregistered

As admitted, the few who responded to this thread are removed from the daily technical compliance and in management.

Please encourage the "doers" on your staff to use this forum.

Return to Top
#134009 - 12/03/03 08:41 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Please encourage the "doers" on your staff to use this forum.

Well, I went back through about six months of posts in this forum. You know I did not find one post where "Anonymous" was the one providing assistance or answers. You seem to be calling us on the carpet for not providing you with free reseach when you don't give anything in return. For what it's worth, I promote this forum both with my staff and with every group I speak in front of. I know some of my staff do use this forum. But bottom line is my technical compliance staff is supposed to be taking care of our issues first, before serving as your compliance research department.

As I mentioned, it's difficult to get much support when all you do is come begging anonymously for answers. You've got to be a recognized contributor, too. And the only way to do that is through adopting an identity that can be recognized and by contributing using that identity. Then when you ask a question, folks are going to be more likely to put out a little bit for you.

Return to Top
#134010 - 12/04/03 10:37 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
As usual, good job Jim!!

Return to Top
#134011 - 01/13/04 05:04 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
Thomas Offline
100 Club
Santa Ana, CA
There's an old proverbial saying that goes, "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar". Well said MagicBanker.

Return to Top
#134012 - 02/24/04 04:29 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
Tennismom Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennismom
Boy – You South Carolina posters are brutal. Have you considered that Anon’s may: 1) work for one of you, 2) be unable to join the “Association “ as bank resources are limited, 3) not attend the “Association’s” meetings as other employees from the same financial institution currently attend, 4) prefer to post Anon as he/she may not have confidence in the guidance provided by the “experts” at his/her financial institution, 5) not have access to resources such as legal counsel due to a limited budget, or 6) not want to identify him or herself if an issue presented may raise a red flag? Thinking back over your careers, I believe all of you have been in one of these situations.

Cut Anon some slack. I don’t believe Anon was “begging”. BOL was established for the exchange of ideas between both experienced and new bankers, all not necessarily working in a compliance capacity. Anon, keep posting and consider becoming a member of BOL. In the past I too preferred to post Anon due to one or more of the above reasons, but recently became a member of BOL as my work environment has changed. However, I will continue to post Anon as many do in those sensitive instances when anonymity will protect the identity of the financial institution in which I work.

Return to Top
#134013 - 02/24/04 06:50 PM Re: Posting in the South Carolina Forum
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
"As admitted, the few who responded to this thread are removed from the daily technical compliance and in management.

Please encourage the "doers" on your staff to use this forum."

Unfortunately, the Anon who posted the above did not take the time and effort that you did, tennismom, to make some valuable points. If they had, the responses would have been very different.

Return to Top