BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1348409 - 02/24/10 05:52 PM guess the headline
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Based on this polling data, see if you can guess what the CNN headline for the story was?

4 -2- February 12-15, 2010
(QUESTIONS 9 AND 10 ROTATED)
(ASKED OF HALF SAMPLE. RESULTS BASED ON 522 INTERVIEWS IN VERSION A --
SAMPLING ERROR: +/- 4.5 PERCENTAGE POINTS.)
9. In your view, is Barack Obama doing enough to cooperate with the Republicans in Congress, or
not?
Feb. 10 Oct. 09 Aug. 09 Apr. 09 Feb. 09

Yes, doing enough 47% 49% 51% 62% 74%
No, not enough 52% 49% 46% 36% 25%
No opinion 1% 2% 3% 2% 1%

10. In your view, are the Republicans in Congress doing enough to cooperate with the Barack Obama,
or not?
Yes, doing enough 31% 31% 36% 37% 39%
No, not enough 67% 67% 60% 61% 60%
No opinion 1% 2% 4% 2% 1%

11. Do you think the Democratic party or the Republican party is more responsible for the lack of cooperation between the two parties in Washington?

Democratic party 35%
Republican party 37%
Both (vol.) 25%
No opinion 2%

12. Many people say that bipartisan cooperation will only occur if one party takes the first step by giving up some of the proposals it supports. Which party do you think should take the first step toward developing bipartisan solutions to the country's problems -- the Democratic party or the Republican party?

Democratic party 54%
Republican party 42%
No opinion 5%

13. If the two parties can develop bipartisan solutions to the country's problems, which party do you think should give up more of the proposals it supports -- the Democratic party or the Republican party?

Democratic party 51%
Republican party 43%
No opinion 5%

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/02/23/cnnpoll0223.pdf

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1348412 - 02/24/10 05:54 PM Re: guess the headline straw
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
"Zombies Attack Washington, Die of Starvation"

Return to Top
#1348416 - 02/24/10 05:56 PM Re: guess the headline straw
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Something about #10, since that was the only question on here to show Republicans unfavorably. Probably the title was that Republicans are not cooperating.

Return to Top
#1348419 - 02/24/10 06:00 PM Re: guess the headline QCL
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
We have a winner

"CNN Poll: Americans place blame for partisanship

Washington (CNN) - Two-thirds of Americans think that the Republicans in Congress are not doing enough to cooperate with President Barack Obama, according to a new national poll."

Republican negatives in question 10 moved from 60 to 67%. President's negatives in question 9 went from 25 to 52%, which means a majority of Americans, for the first time, think Obama is not doing enough to cooperate with Republicans, but the stories spin is bad news for Republicans.

Return to Top
#1348420 - 02/24/10 06:03 PM Re: guess the headline straw
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Must be that liberal ability to produce unbias headlines... lol

Return to Top
#1348421 - 02/24/10 06:03 PM Re: guess the headline Buccs
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia

Return to Top
#1348430 - 02/24/10 06:12 PM Re: guess the headline Sound Tactic
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Doh
Must be that liberal ability to produce unbias headlines... lol

We all know the only media source with bias is Fox News. Shame on you.

Return to Top
#1348478 - 02/24/10 07:00 PM Re: guess the headline straw
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I just figured out that when Nancy Reagan said "Just Say No!" she wasn't talking about drugs, she was talking about politicians! Just say no to incumbents!

Return to Top
#1348524 - 02/24/10 07:21 PM Re: guess the headline straw
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Originally Posted By: straw
We have a winner

"CNN Poll: Americans place blame for partisanship

Washington (CNN) - Two-thirds of Americans think that the Republicans in Congress are not doing enough to cooperate with President Barack Obama, according to a new national poll."

Republican negatives in question 10 moved from 60 to 67%. President's negatives in question 9 went from 25 to 52%, which means a majority of Americans, for the first time, think Obama is not doing enough to cooperate with Republicans, but the stories spin is bad news for Republicans.

Is your position not also spin? I see both as "not good".

Return to Top
#1348531 - 02/24/10 07:27 PM Re: guess the headline NotALawyer
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Neither is good, but which is bigger news. 60% of people believed republicans were not doing enough to work with the President and that moved to 67%. With a 4.5% margin of error, it is almost within the range of sampling error. Bascially nothing changed.

But the lead makes it sound like this is news, when in fact twice the number of people believe Obama is not doing enough compared to one year ago. Rather significant change, but not the lead.

And one more big difference, I am not a reporter and don't claim to just report the facts.

Return to Top
#1348655 - 02/24/10 08:50 PM Re: guess the headline straw
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Which is bigger news? That's a matter of opinion. A delicate question, but I'll ask even if retorically - is your concern that the headline differs with your opinion, or that the headline is not supported by facts? I propose that either headline could be supported but that the current headline is more relevant to today. There is a lot of talk about the need for a bipartisan solution - this article focuses on the current state of bipartisanship, not the change over time, although it does include prior numbers.

Today, who has the least favorable results (to your point - neither is good). Does it matter that Obama's results have doubled? Sure. But they are still more favorable than the republicans' results.

Either way, at least 15% and up to 52% said both aren't doing enouch.

The news is fickle - today's headlines are tomorrow's fish wrappers regardless of what the news is or who it's about.

Return to Top
#1348660 - 02/24/10 08:55 PM Re: guess the headline NotALawyer
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
My concern is not the headline differs with my opinion. My concern is the editorializing that passes for news. Is the story factually correct? Absolutely.

If it was the opposite, that the republican negatives had doubled, do you think the lead would be "two thirds of the American public think Obama is not doing enough" or "number of Americans who believe republicans not doing enough has doubled"?

Return to Top
#1348662 - 02/24/10 08:57 PM Re: guess the headline NotALawyer
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I wonder if NotALawyer is considered a cooler conservative for his/her argumentative style and avoiding/disregarding the facts?

Return to Top
#1348676 - 02/24/10 09:06 PM Re: guess the headline HappyGilmore
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Look at this one.

The Weekly Standard's Matthew Continetti has some fun at the expense of the New York Times (admittedly not the hardest challenge in the world):

Let's say you conducted a poll with a fellow news organization. The poll found that the president's approval rating had fallen to 46 percent. The poll found that 56 percent of respondents did not believe the president had a plan to create jobs. The poll found that majorities disapprove of the president's handling of the economy, the deficit, and his signature initiative, comprehensive health reform. Moreover, the poll found that "fewer than one in ten Americans say members of Congress deserve reelection."
Would you title the article describing the poll results "Obama Has Edge Over G.O.P. Among the Public"? Because that's what the New York Times did.
Incidentally, you have to read to the end of the fifth paragraph to discover that Obama's approval rating is "as low it has been since he took office."

Here is a link to the Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/us/politics/12poll.html

Let's reverse this. Reverse the numbers so they are positive for Dems and negative for Repubs. Fox News puts a story out that leads with a positive spin for Republicans. I am willing to bet you would laugh and say typical Fox News, mouthpiece for Republicans. So what is it when mainstream news spins like this? Are they mouthpieces for Democrats or simply reporting the facts?

Return to Top
#1348689 - 02/24/10 09:12 PM Re: guess the headline straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
there is a Rasmussen link on Drudge that the approval rating for the Congress is down to 10%....

Return to Top
#1348691 - 02/24/10 09:14 PM Re: guess the headline Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Yes and the headline in the NY Times to report that would be Public disapproves of Republican Congressmen, while in the 5th paragraph, the story would say the public also disapproves of Democratic Congressmen.

Return to Top
#1348711 - 02/24/10 09:27 PM Re: guess the headline straw
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
^^^^^^
You know the truth straw, and I know the truth, but sadly, others will never acknowledge it because to do so would largely invalidate most of the programs in which they now place so much stock (because of the biased impact of the complicity of the press on American public opinion for the past 40 or 50 years).

Return to Top
#1348723 - 02/24/10 09:35 PM Re: guess the headline YosemiteSamIAm
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I used to argue against this all the time, but the performance since the administration changed has really been atrocious. I never minded the open hostility the media had for the Bush adminstration. I consider that healthy, as they are in essence a watch dog, there to question everything. They just seem to have forgotten they should be questioning a Democrat too.

Return to Top
#1348726 - 02/24/10 09:37 PM Re: guess the headline straw
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
I used to argue against this all the time, but the performance since the administration changed has really been atrocious. I never minded the open hostility the media had for the Bush adminstration. I consider that healthy, as they are in essence a watch dog, there to question everything. They just seem to have forgotten they should be questioning a Democrat too.
One does not question "The One"...

Return to Top
#1348746 - 02/24/10 09:53 PM Re: guess the headline straw
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

according to Rachel maddow, she and Keith Olbermann are the only ones in the media doing their job...

Return to Top
#1348759 - 02/24/10 10:08 PM Re: guess the headline HappyGilmore
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Blame Bush!!

No, no. That's not it.

You lie!!!

Wait. I think I missed out of something.

Newspapers are always looking for an angle to warp the truth just enough to make it appear it's more or less than it really is. I've worked the business, I've experienced first-hand articles being changed and facts omitted that didn't present the image the editor was trying to convey. And when it comes down to it, newspapers are catering to their target audience. It doesn't really matter if all the facts are there as long as the paper is selling.

Return to Top
#1348769 - 02/24/10 10:18 PM Re: guess the headline Bacon Boy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
^^^a little known fact is that the Jimmy Olsen character in Superman was based on none other than our own BaconBoy!

Return to Top
#1348770 - 02/24/10 10:20 PM Re: guess the headline HappyGilmore
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
That's the last time I share secrets with you. :p

smile

Return to Top
#1348783 - 02/24/10 10:33 PM Re: guess the headline Bacon Boy
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: BaconBoy
Blame Bush!!

No, no. That's not it.

You lie!!!

Wait. I think I missed out of something.

Newspapers are always looking for an angle to warp the truth just enough to make it appear it's more or less than it really is. I've worked the business, I've experienced first-hand articles being changed and facts omitted that didn't present the image the editor was trying to convey. And when it comes down to it, newspapers are catering to their target audience. It doesn't really matter if all the facts are there as long as the paper is selling.

Well, based on circulation numbers, they might want to reconsider this (okay cheap shot, since newspapers are dying due to internet content)

Return to Top
#1348790 - 02/24/10 10:42 PM Re: guess the headline straw
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
My concern is not the headline differs with my opinion. My concern is the editorializing that passes for news. Is the story factually correct? Absolutely.

If it was the opposite, that the republican negatives had doubled, do you think the lead would be "two thirds of the American public think Obama is not doing enough" or "number of Americans who believe republicans not doing enough has doubled"?

I would expect the first headline - that is the more important number to me. To clarify, that is what I think should be said, not what I expect CNN to lead with. I don't know what they would lead with, but would hope it would be factual.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2