BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1348798 - 02/24/10 10:46 PM Re: guess the headline NotALawyer
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Let's say you conducted a poll with a fellow news organization. The poll found that the president's approval rating had fallen to 46 percent. The poll found that 56 percent of respondents did not believe the president had a plan to create jobs. The poll found that majorities disapprove of the president's handling of the economy, the deficit, and his signature initiative, comprehensive health reform. Moreover, the poll found that "fewer than one in ten Americans say members of Congress deserve reelection."
Would you title the article describing the poll results "Obama Has Edge Over G.O.P. Among the Public"? Because that's what the New York Times did.
Incidentally, you have to read to the end of the fifth paragraph to discover that Obama's approval rating is "as low it has been since he took office."

Well, here is a NY Times article about a poll. Multiple Obama negatives, including that his negatives are at an all time high (low, not sure which is correct here, but numbers not in his favor), but lead with one Obama has edge over GOP. Factual yes, but indicative of the facts, probably not, certainly in the context of the poll. So perhaps I am saying that ripping a fact out of context to fit the editor's desired story is not really good journalism.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1348799 - 02/24/10 10:48 PM Re: guess the headline straw
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I just remembered an old joke about facts.

The doctor emerged from the OR and was asked how the operation went. Smiling, the doctor stated the operation was a complete sucess and described in detail the techniques he pioneered to make the operation possible. When asked how the patient was doing, he frowned and said unfortunatly the patient died.

Now, if a news service led a story about a sucessful operation, that lead would be factual correct, but not really within context of the overall story, that being the patient died.

Return to Top
#1348800 - 02/24/10 10:49 PM Re: guess the headline HappyGilmore
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
I wonder if NotALawyer is considered a cooler conservative for his/her argumentative style and avoiding/disregarding the facts?

Sorry, can't tell is this is sarcasm about me or about the perception others might have of me. I don't see where I am being argumentative or avoiding or disregarding "the facts" unless there are facts outside of the article that I'm not aware of but should be.

Not a slam on you, Happy. Just saying I can't tell if the comment is about me or not. smile

Return to Top
#1348803 - 02/24/10 10:51 PM Re: guess the headline NotALawyer
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I will speak for Happy and guess that it is not, rather about a perception some have of "cooler conservatives".

Return to Top
#1348815 - 02/24/10 11:03 PM Re: guess the headline straw
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Originally Posted By: straw
Let's say you conducted a poll with a fellow news organization. The poll found that the president's approval rating had fallen to 46 percent. The poll found that 56 percent of respondents did not believe the president had a plan to create jobs. The poll found that majorities disapprove of the president's handling of the economy, the deficit, and his signature initiative, comprehensive health reform. Moreover, the poll found that "fewer than one in ten Americans say members of Congress deserve reelection."
Would you title the article describing the poll results "Obama Has Edge Over G.O.P. Among the Public"? Because that's what the New York Times did.
Incidentally, you have to read to the end of the fifth paragraph to discover that Obama's approval rating is "as low it has been since he took office."

Well, here is a NY Times article about a poll. Multiple Obama negatives, including that his negatives are at an all time high (low, not sure which is correct here, but numbers not in his favor), but lead with one Obama has edge over GOP. Factual yes, but indicative of the facts, probably not, certainly in the context of the poll. So perhaps I am saying that ripping a fact out of context to fit the editor's desired story is not really good journalism.

I can't comment on the NYT article - I haven't read it and the way you describe it, I wouldn't like it (rip a fact out of context to fit the editor's desire). I just don't see that that happended in the CNN article. To me, the bigger issue from the article is that [one player] has a 67% unfavorable compared to [the other player] having a 52% unfavorable. You asked if I would expect the same if the parties (the republicans and democrats) were switched - my answer is yes. The reason is that to me, the bigger issue is the 67 vs. 52. The doubleing is important and should be noted, but, to me, is not the most important point. Even if it tripled from 15% to 45% (I made up those numbers), to me the more important point is the 67%. Now if it doubled or tripled to be more than 67%, that raises the significance (in my eyes) and I would likely include it in the headline regardless of party.

As to the doctor example, the patient dieing is the most important point in my opinion, so I agree that the headline would not be appropriate.

Return to Top
#1348839 - 02/24/10 11:46 PM Re: guess the headline NotALawyer
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I'll give you that. Perhaps I am being too hard on CNN. Check the times article out if you have some time. I linked to it earlier. I would be curious to see what you think of it.

Return to Top
#1348888 - 02/25/10 10:48 AM Re: guess the headline straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
the NYT is a dinosaur, not so much all the news that's fit to print as all the bias we can move from the editorial page to the main page.

Return to Top
#1348929 - 02/25/10 01:49 PM Re: guess the headline Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
NoataLawyer, Straw is correct that it is not intended or directed at you, but rather the "perception" of those that people label "cooler conservatives"

Return to Top
#1348947 - 02/25/10 02:18 PM Re: guess the headline HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^perceived to be a cooler fence sitter...

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2