Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
Thread Options
#1350383 - 03/01/10 03:32 PM Re: Lost! E.E.G.B
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Very interesting, EGB, thanks for sharing! laugh I'll have to copy this and send to my hubby. We're obsessed with this show. LOL

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1350385 - 03/01/10 03:36 PM Re: Lost! Aggs
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
What's also interesting is that Sobek is described as "God of Crocodiles, Power, Protection and Fertility"

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/sobeka.htm

Fertility on the island has been a key factor - the sole reason Juliet (a fertility expert) was recruited. Hmmm....

Return to Top
#1350410 - 03/01/10 04:08 PM Re: Lost! Aggs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Isn't it interesting that the Hebrew name Jacob means to grasp by the heel and Lost's Jacob was living in the heel of this Sobek type statue.

So if Jacob is some type of Sobek, what is the antagonist/Locke/smoke monster type role?

Return to Top
#1350415 - 03/01/10 04:13 PM Re: Lost! Pale Rider
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
perhaps Apep....who tried to stop the sun from coming up each morning...

Apep is the personification of darkness, evil, and chaos. Occasionally, the battle was decided in his favor, causing a solar eclipse, but his victories were of short duration for Re always triumphed in the end. Eventually, Apep was slain by Re, who cut up his body and burned it. The Greeks referred to him as Apophis.

Return to Top
#1350429 - 03/01/10 04:25 PM Re: Lost! Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Interesting that Jacob was cut up and his body was burned. My wife thinks that maybe Jacob is the evil one and smokey is really the good one. I doubt that but it would be another interesting twist.

Return to Top
#1350483 - 03/01/10 05:16 PM Re: Lost! straw
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Agnessa, good catch on the fertility issue, I missed that the first time through!

Straw, you know, the way sides keep changing, I don't know that you can really say one is good and one is bad. I think there are elements of both in each side (just like human nature.) I certainly felt like Season 5 showed a more favorable side of Whidmore and his teams as it went on.

I'm not sure we know enough yet about "Esau" / false Locke to assign him a true name.

I need to go through and sort out all the Biblical references at some point too - there are so many.

Return to Top
#1350484 - 03/01/10 05:17 PM Re: Lost! straw
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Straw, I have wondered the same thing, especially because weaselly Ben took his orders from Jacob, and Ben was/is far from a "good guy." I do think Jacob is the good one now, but it would be just like the writers of this show to throw in a huge twist like that, right here at the end of the series.

Return to Top
#1350506 - 03/01/10 05:44 PM Re: Lost! Hoosierland
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
I'm going to have serious withdrawals when this show is over. I love shows that really make me think.

Although I have to say that the whole time travel/alternative universe/parallel universe stuff makes my brain hurt crazy

Return to Top
#1351398 - 03/03/10 01:50 PM Re: Lost! Aggs
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
I hope that Sayid doesn't turn out to be truly evil. . .but he is one of my favorites, anyway.

I have lost track, where is Sawyer? Did he leave his house to go with Bad Locke, or not?

I wish they would go ahead and reunite Sun and Jin. I am getting impatient about that!

I really thought Kate was in trouble when she threw that ladder down to Claire last night. Claire said if Kate took Aaron, she would kill her. I thought, well, here's her chance.

I have been trying to recall exactly who the Smoke Monster had killed in previous seasons. The only character I remember for sure (but don't remember his name) is the big guy who came from somewhere in Africa, and was maybe a pastor (or professing to be one). I am just wondering if there is any significance to who the monster went after in the past, knowing what we do now about the monster.

Return to Top
#1351407 - 03/03/10 01:56 PM Re: Lost! Hoosierland
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
The monster/bad Locke went after everyone last night. Do you think Kate has actually been recuited? She's got a funny look on her face, but not quite the same as Sayid and Claire.

Sounds like next week Ben bites the dust. (and I won't be home cry ) Will be watching as soon as it is available on ABC.com.

Seems like the pilot is going to have an important part in this. Glad that Sun knows about Jin, but where is Jin? Still back at Claire's camp?

Do you think the reason Sayid couldn't kill Locke is because Locke spoke to Sayid first?

Smoke Monster killed Mr. Ekko - African Dude, former drug guy, pretending to be a minister.

Last edited by P.B.; 03/03/10 02:03 PM.

Return to Top
#1351419 - 03/03/10 02:06 PM Re: Lost! Snow Bunny
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
I don't think Ben will actually die next week. But, who can tell with this show!

Yes, I think the reason Sayid couldn't kill Bad Locke is because he spoke first.

Return to Top
#1351422 - 03/03/10 02:09 PM Re: Lost! Hoosierland
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
It will be interesting to see how this ends. There has to be a reason why the woman who brought John's body to the foot took some of Jacob's ashes.

And where is Richard? He has vanished lately.

Return to Top
#1351423 - 03/03/10 02:11 PM Re: Lost! Hoosierland
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Where is Jacob, Sawyer, the doc, Jin...

so many questions....

Ben really has taken a back seat to the action...

Did dead Locke promise to bring back Nadia for Sayid?

Return to Top
#1351428 - 03/03/10 02:18 PM Re: Lost! Pale Rider
manylayers Offline
Gold Star
manylayers
PA
The hardest thing about this show is that from week to week characters get set aside to advance other parts of the story. I have to remind myself that while it's been WEEKS for me...they are on the other side of the island, doing whatever they are doing.

I too am anxious about the Sun and Jin storyline..

I'm not sure that Sayid COULD kill fake Locke....and Dogen knew it. I think fake Locke was honest when he said that Sayid was sent there on a suicide mission, bit it's not going to turn out that way.

The whole story seems to be about balance..i'm not sure that either side is entirely good or evil...and i think both Jacob and Smokey serve their on interests....and we perceive one to be better than the other...that being said...i have a hard time accepting that mass murder is ever a good thing!

Kate serves only herself...i don't think she's on anyone's side.

Pale, I am not sure what fake locke promised...but that is exactly what sayid heard.

Return to Top
#1351435 - 03/03/10 02:22 PM Re: Lost! manylayers
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
He promised that Sayid could have her back........and in LA, he does.

What about Sayid in LA. Interesting.

Return to Top
#1351438 - 03/03/10 02:24 PM Re: Lost! Pale Rider
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
My theories on your many questions...

Do you think Kate has actually been recuited? - No. She looks awfully confused.

I have lost track, where is Sawyer? - He's been recruited by evil Locke, but I didn't see him last night. Was he with that group at the end.

Do you think the reason Sayid couldn't kill Locke is because Locke spoke to Sayid first? - No. I think that Dogen knew Sayid couldn't kill him. He just wanted him to attempt to before evil Locke spoke, hoping that the smoke monster would kill him first. Dogen knew that if Locke spoke to Sayid, he'd be able to recruit him. His plan backfired.

Did dead Locke promise to bring back Nadia for Sayid? - I'm certain of that. He's full of promises, and there's nothing Sayid would want more than to have Nadia.

Return to Top
#1351572 - 03/03/10 04:57 PM Re: Lost! Kelsey D
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I think the smoke monster also killed the original pilot, and Kimi (sp?) the commando guy that we saw last night in the side-flash.

Sayid has an evil look in his eye, and I think Dogen knew he had to have him killed. I'm guessing that if he had killed Sayid himself, that would have nullified his 'deal', thereby killing his son. Sayid showed that he will do what it takes to protect his family, so I assume his 'deal' had to do with Nadia or his brother's family.

I love this show, even though I have no idea what is going on.

Return to Top
#1351584 - 03/03/10 05:05 PM Re: Lost! Bankster
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: DSchrute
I love this show, even though I have no idea what is going on.

LOL! So true. My husband has a tendency to fall asleep on the couch in the evenings, and I am always trying to wake him up so I don't have to explain everything that he has missed during this show. Last night, to my amazement, he actually stayed awake for the whole thing, but he told me, "I still don't know anything, so I should've just gone to sleep!"

All I know is that there is sure a lot left to resolve in 10 measly episodes!

Return to Top
#1351592 - 03/03/10 05:11 PM Re: Lost! Hoosierland
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
and as is typical with this show, there will be a lot more questions, before there are answers.

DSchrute - I thought one of the polar bears killed the orignal pilot. The smoke monster killed the mercenaries who came for Ben.

Return to Top
#1351597 - 03/03/10 05:14 PM Re: Lost! Bankster
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
Originally Posted By: DSchrute
I think the smoke monster also killed the original pilot, and Kimi (sp?) the commando guy that we saw last night in the side-flash.

I'm not sure about the pilot because I don't think I ever saw the first couple episodes, but I know that Ben killed Keamy (sp?) to avenge his daughter's death. Killing him made the freighter explode.

Return to Top
#1351643 - 03/03/10 05:39 PM Re: Lost! Kelsey D
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
that Kimi commando dude dies everywhere he goes....

on the island by Ben...

in the parallel universe by Sayid....

he has no future, kinda like that show coming back where everyone sees a few seconds of the future...

Return to Top
#1351824 - 03/03/10 08:16 PM Re: Lost! Pale Rider
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Wonder if Dogen is who the kid was referring to when he told Fake Locke "You can't kill him" and that's why Fake Locke got Sayed to do it instead. This makes Sayed more and more like Ben with every episode.

Return to Top
#1351922 - 03/03/10 09:53 PM Re: Lost! Princess Romeo
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
did you guys notice the different deals? Jacob made Dogen promise to move to the island and never see his son again (sacrifice). Locke promised Sayed he would fulfill all his dreams.

Return to Top
#1353495 - 03/05/10 10:31 PM Re: Lost! straw
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Funny recaps (may contain spoilers)

http://hollywooddame.com/category/lost/

Also - episode #9 should give us Richard's back story. Finally.

And Ana Lucia is coming back. But Libby is not (supposedly she was mad they killed her off.)

Return to Top
#1353925 - 03/08/10 08:00 PM Re: Lost! E.E.G.B
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
So this weekend I started making a list of all the Biblical names of characters, just out of curiosity. I'm still kind of playing with that, but I also started thinking about philosophers, because of the John Locke / Jeremy Bentham character. Of course Rousseau occurred to me right away, but I did a little research - look at all the philosophers who come into play:

* Mikhail Bakunin - Mikhail is the Russian Other who mans the communication station (and who survives his brain being fried and turns up in the jungle when Desmond, Hugo, etc. rescue Naomi.) It is also the name of a Russian Revolutionary anarchist philosopher.

* Jeremy Bentham - John Locke's alter-ego. Bentham was a student of the philosopher John Locke's; he was quite progressive and believed in separation of church & state, equal rites for women, etc. He also designed a prison called the Panopticon, which apparently looks a lot like the map of the Dharma facilities that appears on the blast doors when John is trapped under them in the Hatch.

Anthony Cooper - John Locke's father. In real life, the mentor / patron of philosopher John Locke. Credits Locke for saving his life from a liver infection.

Desmond Hume - middle name David. David Hume was a Scottish philosopher who was heavily influenced by John Locke. Believed all events are causally determined.

John Locke - The philosopher believed strongly in the relationship of nature & civilization; big believer in the social contract theory.

Rousseau - Danielle in the show; Jean Philippe is the philosopher. Philosopher most often associated with the idea of the "Noble Savage."

Richard Alpert - Philosopher aka Baba Ram Dass - a contemporary spiritual teacher heavily associated with Timothy Leary.

Interesting, no?

Return to Top
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21