BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#1359220 - 03/17/10 06:10 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... MadisonCali
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
We have the same problem with our 14 year old Jack Russell - she just turns her nose up and tries to ignore our Mastiff puppy, but you just can't ignore a 13 month old 120 pounder than wants to play.

The Jack is the queen at our house but we have 2 Rotts jockeying for alpha female and an Aussie and a Bull Mastiff trying to not get bullied. It's never boring at the farm, expecially at feeding time.

Try throwing a ball at our house. The Aussie wins the race to the ball. The Momma Rott takes it away. The Daughter Rotts fights for it. Momma and Daughter get in a fight, which allows the Aussie to sneak in and re-claim her prize. The Aussie brings the ball right back to your feet and it starts over again. This same scenario will play over and over with the same results time and time again.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1359236 - 03/17/10 06:22 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... HRH Okie Banker
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
I enjoy trying to follow the dynamics of all of them. Okie, you definitely have your hands full!

Return to Top
#1359250 - 03/17/10 06:35 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... The Minion
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
Okie it sounds like your gang is the same as mine! The Mama Daschund rules our house. Anything she wants the Dane and Dobie let her have - or she bites their lip! While she's rounding those two into shape the Australian shep and the Blue Heeler take off with what started the argument! But NO ONE messes with my little female cat. She takes them all out and treats them like yard dogs! HaHa!

Return to Top
#1359259 - 03/17/10 06:47 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... The Minion
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
There's so much more laughter when animals are a part of your life!
I wasn't laughing but I was certainly glad to have Annie last Sat. Trying to separate cow and calf so we could feed baby and mama came through a wire panel door into the barn with me. I was trying to reach a gate through a low roofed hallway and had nowhere to go. Bless her little heart she managed to back that cow up and keep her there while I got the panel back up!
She can lay on my couch anytime!

Return to Top
#1359337 - 03/17/10 07:42 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... FloBear
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My husband says dogs are angels in disguise. I think he's right.

Return to Top
#1359360 - 03/17/10 08:03 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Skittles
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Me too! I might have been seeing angels if it weren't for Annie. Naturally it was one of few cows we have with horns.
I seldom am involved in any of the daily chores where the dogs are actually doing what they do - other than spring and fall roundup/sale. So I forget that they really aren't just overgrown lap dogs but highly intelligent, hard working 'partners'.

Return to Top
#1359373 - 03/17/10 08:20 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... FloBear
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
You are lucky FloBear! I love to see a good cattle dog at work. Our Blue Heeler, Sissy (bless her heart) was great with cattle.

My Jack is horrible around livestock and horses and I have the hoof print chip out of my left front hip bone to prove that you don't get into the pen to save your 11 pounder from something over 1,000 pounds. (Sorry, I don't know if I'm right there but I don't have a clue what a horse weighs). Dang horses never liked me anyway.

Return to Top
#1359399 - 03/17/10 08:36 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... HRH Okie Banker
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
OUCH! But they are like our children aren't they? You just gotta save them. Never had to deal with an unruly horse.

My Dad always used heelers for cattle too! We had one once that herded the chickens all around the yard, but never ruffled not one feather.

Borders seem to be more people friendly, which works well if you have the time for them, pet and work companion!

Return to Top
#1359456 - 03/17/10 09:11 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... FloBear
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Our sheltie tries to herd the basenji when she's trying to find the perfect spot to go to the bathroom. It's a riot.

Return to Top
#1359468 - 03/17/10 09:18 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Skittles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
And watching a dog "bury" a treasure in a corner of the house is a riot too. Dragging their nose on the carpet and bury, bury, bury. Boy, that's hard work!

Return to Top
#1359469 - 03/17/10 09:19 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Skittles
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
I bet that doesn't go over well with the basenji since she thinks she's the one in charge.

I've heard shelties retained their herding instinct and sometimes herd large animals, but never actually saw it.

Return to Top
#1359480 - 03/17/10 09:29 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... FloBear
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Our cattle dog mix herds everyone in the house, especially those with paws. Nobody can go into any room, or on any furniture without her giving the OK.

I watch her keep both of others on the landing at the bottom of the stairs, or even on the stairs, for close to an hour with her just laying there and giving them the 'eye'. They are allowed to come the rest of the way when it's OK with her.

She definitely runs the show smile

Return to Top
#1359598 - 03/18/10 05:34 AM Re: Life without a dog or cat... MadisonCali
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Truff - sorry to hear about your cat. I know how hard it is to lose one. We never did find Elliott who disappared on Labor Day - frown

We got a new kitten from the shelter back in November. He's a little orange tabby scrapper. Came to the shelter at only 4 weeks old and was nursed back to health by the staff after overcoming one respiritory infection after another.

And just this week we adopted a little dog from the shelter. He's my daughter's dog. The shelter believes he is a Corgi/Chihuahua mix although I think his face looks more Beagle than Chihuahua. He's about 20 pounds with those short stubby Corgi legs and long body. He seems to learn very quickly and so far is getting along with everyone including my beloved Charlie - the dog I rescued 45 1/2 years ago.

I only hope I can keep my dear dogs because my j-erk of a neighbor is still at it. He keeps filing Noise complaints with Animal Control. What he didn't realize was that I had my dog at a BOARDING KENNEL for 12 of the last 20 days and was home for most of the rest of the days. I am sending my documentation to Animal Control to show he is filing false complaints (how can my dog be disturbing him when she's 10 miles away in a boarding kennel?) because if I don't fight this, I may be forced to give up Charlie and the new dog.

Wish me luck! And if anyone knows a good attorney in the Los Angeles area that is sympathetic to animals, let me know!

Return to Top
#1359618 - 03/18/10 12:26 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... FloBear
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My husband has had shelties for years. He used to have one - Polo - that he 'caught' trying to herd girl scouts that were out selling cookies.

The young sheltie has the herding instincts - the 12 year old not so much. It's just fun to watch.

Return to Top
#1359624 - 03/18/10 12:40 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Skittles
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
A good friend of mine has an Australian Shepherd, Flakey. He has been herding our kids for the last 6 years. He circles around them, nipping at their heels. He rests as long as they are sitting in one spot. As soon as one child stands up, he is back to work. Instincts kick in

Return to Top
#1360074 - 03/18/10 06:48 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Princess Romeo
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Princess Rooney
I only hope I can keep my dear dogs because my j-erk of a neighbor is still at it. He keeps filing Noise complaints with Animal Control. What he didn't realize was that I had my dog at a BOARDING KENNEL for 12 of the last 20 days and was home for most of the rest of the days. I am sending my documentation to Animal Control to show he is filing false complaints (how can my dog be disturbing him when she's 10 miles away in a boarding kennel?) because if I don't fight this, I may be forced to give up Charlie and the new dog.

Wish me luck! And if anyone knows a good attorney in the Los Angeles area that is sympathetic to animals, let me know!

My husband and I live 30 miles out in the country on 13 acres on the river with lots of huge pecan trees and with very few neighbors around. A beautiful place for cats and dogs to run and play, right!?? My JERK OF A NEIGHBOR shoots at my cats. We found this out after missing a couple of cats, and taking one of our 6 month old kittens to the vet because we thought he had been bitten by something, but found out he had shotgun pellets in his leg. Needless to say, my four cats are all caged in a 10 ft X 30ft cage, until I or my husband can go and let them out to play and stay with them and then put them back up. If they go onto his property, he said he would shoot them. We have had the sheriff's dept out there numerous times, and they say they cannot do anything unless we have proof that he had done it...We are in the process of trying to sell our propety and buy elsewhere. Don't know why I had to end up with such a mean spirited neighbor...Why is he even in the country if he doesn't like animals???!!!GRRRRRRRR, makes me angry!!!

Return to Top
#1360082 - 03/18/10 06:56 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Dlynn58
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
OMG! That's horrible

Return to Top
#1360086 - 03/18/10 06:58 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Dlynn58
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
I thought there was some kind of law against shooting cats and dogs. Like a Federal law. Has anyone else ever heard that?

Return to Top
#1360093 - 03/18/10 07:05 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Happy2BHere
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
We have talked to the Sheriff of not only our county, but other counties to see what they have all said, we have even talked to the county judge with no help from anyone!! The bad thing is, our jerk of a neighbor doesn't do anything until we are gone from the house or at night when we can see anything....That's why we cage them. It's actually kind of scary because you have to wonder what he might be capable of..

Return to Top
#1360097 - 03/18/10 07:08 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Dlynn58
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
Umm, yeah, I do not trust anyone who will harm cats and dogs. He is a disturbed individual and I wouldn't want to live next to him either.

Return to Top
#1360101 - 03/18/10 07:09 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Dlynn58
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
That is horrible and I wish someone could give him a taste of his own medicine!

Return to Top
#1360192 - 03/18/10 07:59 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... HRH Okie Banker
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
How much damage could a cat do? Once you get past using a flower bed for a litter box [with 13 acres they probably don't even do that) they are really harmless and don't hang around unless you encourage them. What a NOT nice guy!

Return to Top
#1360364 - 03/18/10 09:57 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... FloBear
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Dylnn58 - that is terrible! We are still missing our cat and I can't help but have a feeling that our neighbor may have been involved - but no hard evidence and nothing else to do but mourn his loss.

Return to Top
#1360829 - 03/19/10 03:55 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Princess Romeo
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
It's very aggrevating when you know what someone is doing and you can't do anything about it. Last summer, we heard our neighbor shoot, saw him walk to his pickup with a gun, but at the time, couldn't see what he was shooting at. We have lots of varmits and assumed maybe that is what he was shooting at. Well, the next morning, my huband found our "Linus" cat where he had crawled to our property and died. He had been shot through the chest. We were heartbroken..We called the sheriff's dept out and all they said is that it would be his word against ours. What else do you do??? All of our cat's, even the barn cats, are all up to date on their shots, all have been "fixed", so it's not like they are wild cats. We have told him this before, but it doesn't make a difference. So again, we are selling our place before something really gets out of hand...Pray for us all...

Return to Top
#1360837 - 03/19/10 03:58 PM Re: Life without a dog or cat... Dlynn58
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
But, back to making this a happy thead, I still have four of my cats which I love dearly. But my two little rascally shih tzu's "Buster and Sissy" keep us very entertained. They love playing with the cats as much as the cats love playing with them.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7