Very interesting.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1353987 - 03/08/10 09:02 PM Re: Lost! lucyc
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Adding another - Dogen - founder or principal philosopher in Zen.

Return to Top
#1354008 - 03/08/10 09:18 PM Re: Lost! E.E.G.B
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I hope we have invested these past 6 years on more than just the ying and yang....

I was hoping for some insight into predestination or something...

Return to Top
#1354808 - 03/10/10 06:36 AM Re: Lost! E.E.G.B
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
So this weekend I started making a list of all the Biblical names of characters, just out of curiosity. I'm still kind of playing with that, but I also started thinking about philosophers, because of the John Locke / Jeremy Bentham character. Of course Rousseau occurred to me right away, but I did a little research - look at all the philosophers who come into play:

* Mikhail Bakunin - Mikhail is the Russian Other who mans the communication station (and who survives his brain being fried and turns up in the jungle when Desmond, Hugo, etc. rescue Naomi.) It is also the name of a Russian Revolutionary anarchist philosopher.

* Jeremy Bentham - John Locke's alter-ego. Bentham was a student of the philosopher John Locke's; he was quite progressive and believed in separation of church & state, equal rites for women, etc. He also designed a prison called the Panopticon, which apparently looks a lot like the map of the Dharma facilities that appears on the blast doors when John is trapped under them in the Hatch.

Anthony Cooper - John Locke's father. In real life, the mentor / patron of philosopher John Locke. Credits Locke for saving his life from a liver infection.

Desmond Hume - middle name David. David Hume was a Scottish philosopher who was heavily influenced by John Locke. Believed all events are causally determined.

John Locke - The philosopher believed strongly in the relationship of nature & civilization; big believer in the social contract theory.

Rousseau - Danielle in the show; Jean Philippe is the philosopher. Philosopher most often associated with the idea of the "Noble Savage."

Richard Alpert - Philosopher aka Baba Ram Dass - a contemporary spiritual teacher heavily associated with Timothy Leary.

Interesting, no?

Check out this website that talks about the significance of the number 108

http://www.swamij.com/108.htm

Interesting indeed!

Return to Top
#1354809 - 03/10/10 06:48 AM Re: Lost! Princess Romeo
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
This webiste has an interesting theory about how LOST will end:

http://lostonabc.webs.com/guesses.htm

Essentially, the "Flash Sideways" are real ending of the series that we are watching as the Island episodes lead up to the events that will transform their lives to the Sideways episodes.

Maybe there will be a sort of All is One and One is All explanation/apocalypse/revelation/continuation. As long as there isn't some stupid alien spider thingy at the bottom of all of this, I'll be happy!

(Curse you IT miniseries!)

Return to Top
#1354839 - 03/10/10 01:30 PM Re: Lost! Princess Romeo
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
Did anyone else start to sympathize with Ben last night?

Return to Top
#1354842 - 03/10/10 01:40 PM Re: Lost! Kelsey D
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I did for about a second and then thought the lady with the gun (I can't remember her name) should shoot him or he would shoot her in the back. After all Ben has done, I am not ready to trust him.

Where are Sawyer and Jin?

Return to Top
#1354873 - 03/10/10 02:08 PM Re: Lost! Dazed Auditor
manylayers Offline
Gold Star
manylayers
PA
Lost almost never covers all the characters in one episode...but with the addition of Hurley, Jack, and Alpert to the beach...it does seem that sides are forming.

Interesting choice made by Ben....I think that is an important turn in the story.

The side story also gives some insight into Ben's true nature...I think he might turn out to be a "good guy"

Will the Kwons be reunited next week???

Return to Top
#1354902 - 03/10/10 02:27 PM Re: Lost! manylayers
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
I agree with Dazed Auditor, I sympathized for a second but I was sure Ben would shoot that lady in the back. Maybe he will in fact turn out to be a "good guy" but I am not ready to go there yet!

And I sure hope the Kwons will be reunited soon! But since we last saw Jin with Claire, I am guessing he is on the other island at the Hydra station, where Bad Locke is gathering his forces. Could be a while before we see that reunion! I was glad to hear the lady on the beach tell Sun that she wanted to find Jin too, to "protect him"--maybe that will speed up the reunion!

Return to Top
#1355191 - 03/10/10 05:32 PM Re: Lost! Hoosierland
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
It seems that the people lining-up on the Jacob/faith side are having more positive experiences in their side-flashes. Real Locke was faithful to Jacob and in his flash he is finding his niche as a teacher and he has his girlfriend. Jack is developing a good relationship with his son. Ben makes the honorable choice and chooses to help his daughter over power for himself. Hurley isn't cursed.

Whereas, Sayid chose the dark side, and while Nadia is still alive, he can't have her as she is married to his brother.

Just when you think you are going to get answers from Ben, Richard, or Lana, you find out that they really don't know all that much. Very frustrating.

Return to Top
#1355199 - 03/10/10 05:35 PM Re: Lost! Bankster
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Did Richard come to the island on that old ship wreck?

I did kind of bond with Ben when he chose not to align himself with Locke...he was so pitiful when he confessed no one would have him.....

Return to Top
#1355214 - 03/10/10 05:50 PM Re: Lost! Pale Rider
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: Pale
Did Richard come to the island on that old ship wreck?

That's what I said when he was in the ship and said something like "This is the first time I've ever been back." I told my husband that I bet he sailed on that ship. I am looking forward to finally getting Richard's story. I thought his comment about Jacob touching you really being a curse was interesting.

Return to Top
#1355218 - 03/10/10 05:52 PM Re: Lost! Hoosierland
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
If that's Richard's story....kinda reminds me of the Highlander (TV series)....if any of you were addicted to that off the wall series.

Return to Top
#1355242 - 03/10/10 06:18 PM Re: Lost! swiggles
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I did find it touching when Ben said no one will have me and Lana said I will. Then I was surprised he did not shoot her or beat her to death. Ben may turn out to be a good guy but he has done too much bad stuff to jump to that conclusion.

So is Claire going to kill Kate? She said she would if she found out Kate had taken Aaron.

Return to Top
#1355278 - 03/10/10 06:42 PM Re: Lost! Dazed Auditor
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Mocke made a comment to Richard a couple episodes back about how it was nice to see him (R) not in chains. I'm looking forward to finding out more about that (episode #9 is supposed to be Richard's back story. I hope they tell us what brand of eyeliner he uses, that stuff does NOT come off. Unless maybe it's permanent makeup.)

Return to Top
#1355291 - 03/10/10 06:50 PM Re: Lost! E.E.G.B
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Maybe they all need to face their demons on the island to become the people the need/want to be in reality.

Return to Top
#1355331 - 03/10/10 07:28 PM Re: Lost! Snow Bunny
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I really want to know more about Richard. Seems like he has been around forever but we know nothing about him.

Return to Top
#1355332 - 03/10/10 07:29 PM Re: Lost! Dazed Auditor
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
And he clearly has some power - but is never The Leader.

Return to Top
#1355475 - 03/10/10 09:52 PM Re: Lost! E.E.G.B
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
who are the 6 that are being considered as a replacement for Jacob? ......hurley, jack, the jins....?????????

and who is making this decision on the "winner"?

Return to Top
#1355477 - 03/10/10 09:55 PM Re: Lost! Pale Rider
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Sayid and Sawyer's names were written in that cave, weren't they? Maybe they are the remaining 2 candidates, although obviously Sayid has gone over to the dark side now. I don't remember seeing Kate's name. . .but then, who can keep all this straight???? (Not me!)

Return to Top
#1355478 - 03/10/10 09:55 PM Re: Lost! Pale Rider
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Those listed on the cave wall and touched by Jacob:

Kate
Sawyer
Jack
Hurley
Sun / Jin (only the name Kwon listed on the wall, could be either as both were touched by Jacob at their wedding)
Sayid

Return to Top
#1355521 - 03/10/10 10:45 PM Re: Lost! E.E.G.B
uncle_milty_too Offline
New Poster
uncle_milty_too
I thought the sixth name was Locke, and that kate was not listed on the wall

Return to Top
#1355530 - 03/10/10 11:19 PM Re: Lost! uncle_milty_too
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Kate was not listed on the wall.

Return to Top
#1355841 - 03/11/10 04:42 PM Re: Lost! straw
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Locke was on the wall, but his name was crossed off.

Return to Top
#1355870 - 03/11/10 05:07 PM Re: Lost! Skunk Boy
joyfulone Offline
CA
If anyone is interested, Jorge Garcia (Hurley) and his girlfriend have a podcast called Geronimo Jacks Beard. They release it every Wednesday and they recorded them when they got the scripts for each episode. Yesterday's had guest Michael Emmerson. It's really interesting how much the cast doesn't know what is going on with the show.

You can get it on Itunes and they have a Facebook page and a Blog on Blogspot.com.

Return to Top
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21