Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1359257 - 03/17/10 06:43 PM Turnaround in the housing market?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
One of my managers put his house on the market Saturday, had 2 people look Sunday, 1 Monday, an offer was made and accepted yesterday...talk about fast work...he did for sale by owner, so he is happy that he isn't paying 6% for 3 days work

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1359286 - 03/17/10 07:06 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? HappyGilmore
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
laugh

Maybe over in your neck of the woods it has been. I looked at the foreclosure notices yesterday and saw a house that my wife and I have looked at in the realtor ads in the paper going up for auction in April, for about 1/2 the cost it had been listed at. I called the realtor to schedule a walk-through just a bit ago and she said "Oh my gosh I don't know why but this house has been really popular today!"

I wanted to tell her the bad news but hey, I want to see the place!

Return to Top
#1359317 - 03/17/10 07:29 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Buccs
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I have been looking at houses in my market, most have been WAY over priced. The realtors tell me it is because our market is not effected by all the bad stuff out there. BS!!

Yeah, this market has 17% unemployment, the schools can't pass a levy, The factories are laying off and cutting production lines and shifts, the schools enrollments drop each year (The reason they have closed three elementary schools).

Why? Because people are leaving this depressed area.

You are asking too much because you sold them this house for too much 2-5 years ago. So, you can sell it to me for what I am offering and ask the bank to take a short sale, or I will buy it on the courthouse steps when it goes to auction.

Return to Top
#1359323 - 03/17/10 07:32 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? DD Regs
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
Pretty much how I'm treating things now. I saw a house in our current neighborhood up for sale again. We walked through it when we bought our current place just a couple of years ago, but thought it was overpriced then at 120k. The lady who owns it eventually pulled it off the market and got someone to rent for a couple of years. It's back on the market today for 140k! laugh

Return to Top
#1359324 - 03/17/10 07:32 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? DD Regs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Here's to praying my house will regain some of the value it lost soon after I bought it thanks to the economy.

Return to Top
#1359341 - 03/17/10 07:44 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? B_F
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Reality hasn't hit my area yet. They still think that if you bought a house 4 years ago at $140k they'll get $180k out of it today. Not gonna happen. Lost of houses on the market, but none are selling.

Return to Top
#1359344 - 03/17/10 07:47 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? BotV#6
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I'd mortgage my grandparents to get a house in CA for 120000.00.

Return to Top
#1359350 - 03/17/10 07:51 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Blade Scrapper
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
You mean in CA in an area you would actually want to live in, right?

I think there are plenty for 120K - but you don't want to live in Moreno Valley or Palmdale, I'm sure.

Return to Top
#1359355 - 03/17/10 07:56 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? califgirl
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Yes, I meant civilized California.

Return to Top
#1359358 - 03/17/10 08:01 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Blade Scrapper
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
LOL

Return to Top
#1359403 - 03/17/10 08:38 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? califgirl
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I sold my house last spring in what I felt was a relatively good time frame considering my market. I built it in 2004-05, sold by owner, and asked and was was able to negotiate a reasonable price I felt considering everything else. I was able to get a little more than what I payed to build it four years earlier (well, except for all the after build add-ons like the deck, landscaping, granite counters, drywalling my garage, etc) but I did feel I got a reasonable price for where the market was at.

Neighbors around us who had their homes on the market for many months before, and after (and 2 still today) were livid that we were 'giving our house away'. No, we were pricing where the market was at, and unfortunately, it just simply is not as high as you want it to be. No longer can you build a house and ask for 40k more than you paid to build it two years later, no matter how great you think it is.

Return to Top
#1359408 - 03/17/10 08:41 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? #Just Jay
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
WTF?! This is going to make me cry. My house has been on the market for 5 months. We've had 40+ showings, 99% all positive feedback, and nothing. I'm going to go jump out the window now. frown

This sucks!!! Waaaaah!!!!

<-- whining and crying

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1359442 - 03/17/10 08:58 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Aggs
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Do you ever watch HGTV - maybe that lady can come to your house and see what you are doing wrong- then stage your house and voila maybe you will get a buyer.

Return to Top
#1359444 - 03/17/10 09:00 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? pjs
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
pjs, I was thinking the same thing!!!
Or maybe hide some cameras?

Return to Top
#1359450 - 03/17/10 09:08 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? QCL
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Originally Posted By: QueenChop'dLiver
pjs, I was thinking the same thing!!!
Or maybe hide some cameras?
That could be too traumatic for Agnessa...people can be quite mean when touring a home.

Return to Top
#1359452 - 03/17/10 09:10 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? QCL
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm sure Agnessa's house is just fine. It's just in an upscale area of Indianapolis and probably higher than most people can afford. Hang in there - it will sell.

We sold our house in Georgia almost a year ago at a loss. Actually, we sold it for what we paid for it, but also gave some buyer concessions and we had probably put about $15-20,000 in it in 3 years. It was necessary to sell, though, because we moved about 400 miles away. We had neighbors who listed theirs before we did and almost 3 years later it still hasn't sold. They never dropped their price - it was higher than what we sold for and our house was larger and a little nicer.

Return to Top
#1359503 - 03/17/10 09:51 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Skittles
Zebra 15 Offline
Mines been on the market for 18 months. Dropped price from 199K to 189K and to 164K the first of '10. 3 "tire kickers" so far, no offers. Bad schools, bad economy, no jobs. It's 2700 sf on 15ac.

Return to Top
#1359509 - 03/17/10 09:55 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Zebra 15
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
You vcan get a house in CA for 164K, as long as the word "crack" is in front of it.

Return to Top
#1359531 - 03/17/10 10:25 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Blade Scrapper
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I bought my house almost 2 years ago for $145,000 less than the original asking price and thought we were getting a great deal. (Talk about over pricing, sheesh) We put about $25,000 into it for granite, appliances, carpet ,paint, light fixtures, door knobs, just about anything you can think of and it has appraised for even less than we bought it. So we have stopped short of remodeling the master bath and the back patio. Can't throw more money away but I sure do want my bathroom remodeled...

Return to Top
#1359533 - 03/17/10 10:26 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Blade Scrapper
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Ezio Auditore
You vcan get a house in CA for 164K, as long as the word "crack" is in front of it.

Or it doesn't have a permanent foundation wink A la trailer trash...

Return to Top
#1359543 - 03/17/10 10:49 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Dip
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Why do people expect to live in a house virtually free or worse yet have someone pay them 'cause they lived there? I look at maintenance costs as the rent I pay on living in my house. I bought it fully habitable so improvements are things that I consider on my 'want' list. And let's face it, given the choice between my lived in house and the brand new one down the road, which one is the buyer more likely to choose no matter how much I've improved mine?

Return to Top
#1359548 - 03/17/10 11:07 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Truffle Royale
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Don't discount it, some older houses have a lot more character. We have had two brand new houses before this one and when we were shopping this time, we couldn't find a new house worth a darn that was under a half million dollars they were all awful or had awful parcels.

Return to Top
#1359602 - 03/18/10 06:09 AM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? califgirl
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: califgirl
You mean in CA in an area you would actually want to live in, right?

I think there are plenty for 120K - but you don't want to live in Moreno Valley or Palmdale, I'm sure.

Ummm, actually Moreno Valley and Palmdale ARE relatively civilized. If you want thee Garden Spot, try Barstow!

Although truth be told, the Outlet Stores in Barstow can be worth the trip. Especially the Coach outlet!

Return to Top
#1359617 - 03/18/10 12:24 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? bOaty
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
BS - are you planning on staying in this house for awhile? If so - go ahead and do the renovations for yourselves - or at least some of them so you enjoy your home more.

Return to Top
#1359622 - 03/18/10 12:40 PM Re: Turnaround in the housing market? Skittles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we've put some serious money in our house over the past 2 years with some serious remodels...likely we can recover what we put in it if we sell, but we like where we are, it is a good location, and we have no plans to sell anytime soon. So, i'm not concerned about recovering our investment, but rather enjoying our home.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4