Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1359866 - 03/18/10 03:46 PM Suggestions Please!
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
My washing machine has quit. I have no idea what kind is the best. I found an Electrolux set yesterday that I LOVE, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. What brand do you all have? My first ones lasted for nine years. The salesman told me yesterday that they generally only lasted 4 to 5 years. I find that very hard to believe. Thoughts? crazy

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1359873 - 03/18/10 03:56 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Happy2BHere
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
My Maytag washer and dryer have been going strong for 17 years. I have only had one minor repair done and that was recently.

Return to Top
#1359877 - 03/18/10 03:58 PM Re: Suggestions Please! renniks
Peepers Offline
10K Club
yeah, Maytag is the way to go

should be able to get nice ones from Best Buy (about $1100 for a set), both have glass to see through and the washer doesn't have an agitator so it's easier to fit comforters in

at least that's what I plan on going with one day

Return to Top
#1359916 - 03/18/10 04:34 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Peepers
Here4Life Offline
100 Club
I agree. My Maytag set has lasted quite awhile, with no repairs!

Return to Top
#1359921 - 03/18/10 04:39 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Happy2BHere
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: Happy2BHere
My washing machine has quit.

You need a new girlfriend or wife! wink laugh :p whistle grin cool

Return to Top
#1359922 - 03/18/10 04:39 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Here4Life
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I think we have a 3 year old Whirlpool and I'm already looking to replace it. The matching dryer needed a new heating element after only 4 years. Cheap, but we couldn't afford mauch at the time. I want some front loaders next.

Return to Top
#1359927 - 03/18/10 04:42 PM Re: Suggestions Please! FBH
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: FBH
Originally Posted By: Happy2BHere
My washing machine has quit.

You need a new girlfriend or wife! wink laugh :p whistle grin cool

Point!! FBH. laugh

Return to Top
#1359930 - 03/18/10 04:44 PM Re: Suggestions Please! A_G
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I thought Maytag was going out of business.

Return to Top
#1359940 - 03/18/10 04:57 PM Re: Suggestions Please! pjs
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
I have always been happy with Kenmore (Sears brand) appliances, especially the washers and dryers. We bought a set in 2001 and never had a single problem.

I will, however, take this opportunity to state for the record that I can't stand front-loading washers. I have one now in my new place and I can't wait to be able to buy my own w&d set again next year (we're renting right now so I can't get rid of them smile )

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1359955 - 03/18/10 05:17 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Aggs
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: Agnessa
I have always been happy with Kenmore (Sears brand) appliances, especially the washers and dryers. We bought a set in 2001 and never had a single problem.

I will, however, take this opportunity to state for the record that I can't stand front-loading washers. I have one now in my new place and I can't wait to be able to buy my own w&d set again next year (we're renting right now so I can't get rid of them smile )

Now I personally will never buy Kenmore again. My washer has been rusting on the inside for a few years now (I'd have to say it is less than 10 years old) and my husband had to replace a part within 3-4 years of buying it. the dryer is supposed to be a top of the line Kenmore (got it at their outlet store - new but scratched). It is all electronic but if I don't change the amount of time from the preset - it shuts off after about 10 minutes. No matter the size of the load, i typically run it for about an hour a load and towels and other heavy things are still very damp.

Return to Top
#1359957 - 03/18/10 05:19 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Aggs
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: Agnessa

My neighbor has a front load washer and dryer. I don't know if it is an issue, but she can't just run a rinse cycle - she has to run the full wash and rinse cycles. Being a lazy person, if i forget to get clothes out of the dryer in time I will run them through the rinse again and redry them to get the wrinkles out. I don't recall what brand she has.

Return to Top
#1359971 - 03/18/10 05:36 PM Re: Suggestions Please! madukes
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Whirpool and Frigidare make Kenmore washers.

Return to Top
#1359974 - 03/18/10 05:37 PM Re: Suggestions Please! madukes
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
I have had great luck with Roper (low end-made by Whirlpool) appliances. Washer, dryer, dishwasher, stove top and fridge. If you don't want to spend a lot you might look into that brand.

Return to Top
#1359983 - 03/18/10 05:43 PM Re: Suggestions Please! FloBear
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
My Kenmore washer and dryer are 11 years old and ::knock on wood:: have not had a single issue with them.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1359991 - 03/18/10 05:46 PM Re: Suggestions Please! #Just Jay
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
Whirpool and Frigidare make Kenmore washers.

I had heard that before and that it depends on the model you get as to which company made it. I'll have to try and find out who made mine.

Return to Top
#1359993 - 03/18/10 05:49 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Tigg
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
I bought a Kenmore front loading washer/dryer set in 2005 and have had to have each of them serviced once already. I will never buy a front loader again. I had an old Maytag for about 20 years before I "upgraded" to these!

Return to Top
#1359995 - 03/18/10 05:50 PM Re: Suggestions Please! madukes
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Happy2BeHere:

Be very leary of buying Electorlux appliances, I have a dishwasher and it routinely breaks down on me every couple of months. I have had service people out to my house at least 6 times in the last year and a half and have had the unit replaced once...the new one still breaks down!!

As far as clothes washers I have a Fisher Paykel and LOVE it. Top loader but it is still high efficiency, works great and my clothes now dry in half the time! AND I guarantee you that they are cheaper than those over priced Electrolux junk.
Last edited by Boatn Shasta; 03/18/10 05:53 PM.

Return to Top
#1359999 - 03/18/10 05:51 PM Re: Suggestions Please! chenin
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
My washer is a top load. I don't know that I would want a front load when the time comes.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1360015 - 03/18/10 05:56 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Tigg
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
whirlpool, no issues, very old (well, not compared to Pale)

bought at Lowe's, matched and deducted 10% from competitor...

Return to Top
#1360021 - 03/18/10 06:05 PM Re: Suggestions Please! HappyGilmore
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Whirlpool is the other brand I like.

I found our top-loading washers to be much more efficient and convenient. With the front-loader, I feel like even if I put a tiny amount of detergent in it, there is always excess soap sud on the door and on the rubber ring that's there. Plus, that rubber ring SMELLS. We have to leave the door open on the washer after each use to get all the moisture out. I even use a rag or paper towels to soak up all the excess water from around the rubber ring. Annoying!

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1360022 - 03/18/10 06:06 PM Re: Suggestions Please! HappyGilmore
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
GE - had for 12 years now with ZERO issues. Top loading. Cheapest one they make. got it for somewhere around $250. at the time.

Return to Top
#1360032 - 03/18/10 06:16 PM Re: Suggestions Please! QCL
Relax Offline
Platinum Poster
Whatever you buy, it will not last like the ones 10 and 20 years ago. They were made better then. We just upgraded to front-loads from the old kenmores that we had since the late 80s early 90s. I like the frontloads; it seems like they clean better, especially with the steam care.

Return to Top
#1360046 - 03/18/10 06:31 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Relax
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
You are so right, Relax. I'm still using my 30 year old Sears Kenmore w & d. I don't think anything made today will last that long.

Return to Top
#1360061 - 03/18/10 06:40 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Relax
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
Ok, thanks everyone for the suggestions. I went on my lunch and bought Whirlpool brand front load washer and dryer. I had front load to begin with and never had the smelly mold and mildew problems that I have heard about. I really hope I will have the same result out of these. I'm going to be more careful and not fill this washer with too many clothes!

Relax, I have been told that the max life of these new ones is 4 to 5 years by the last two sales people I have talked with. I guess making them to last was costing the manufactors too much money since people didn't have to buy them as often.

Shasta, I'm very happy I didn't buy the Electrolux now, especially after reading your comments! I got both the washer and the dryer for the price of just the El. washer price. I like that much better!

Return to Top
#1360411 - 03/18/10 11:12 PM Re: Suggestions Please! Happy2BHere
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Good luck with your new machines H2BH!!

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer on Electrolux but I felt I should speak up because I would hate for anyone to have to go through what we have. I'm sure that with Whirlpool will be every bit as good as the Electrolux, trust me you're not missing anything!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4