Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1361323 - 03/19/10 09:35 PM Rotating Currency
Fallgirl Offline
Gold Star
Fallgirl
Wisconsin
I'm having a disagreement with management over teller procedures. What is the purpose of rotating currency? Is there a benefit?

Return to Top
Audit
#1361369 - 03/20/10 12:00 PM Re: Rotating Currency Fallgirl
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Many banks no longer fine count all denominations of currency for balancing and auditing purposes (just the larger $$)- rotating ensures that someone isn't slipping a bunch of $5s and $10s out undetected.

Return to Top
#1530409 - 04/01/11 04:20 PM Re: Rotating Currency rlcarey
Southern gal Offline
Platinum Poster
TN
I'm having a similiar situation in our bank. Procedures state, vault currency is to be rotated on a 'first in first out" basis. During one branch audit, two bundles of fives with strap dates older than 6 months were found. IMO, this is stale dated currency,which also indicates currency is not being rotated according to procedure. Manager is debating that if head teller ordered 5's when she got down to $1K, (trigger threshold to order)and assuming she hasn't used any bundles of 5's since she ordered in November then she would still have old bundles left. Audit was done in March, dates on straps were August 2010. My stance is had the older bundles been placed in front they would have been used first. Manager is suggesting a revision to procedure, to provide a guideline for a definition of "stale date." I think all of the head tellers are experienced enough to maintain vault currency according to curent procedures, and certainly don't want to be changing procedures just to avoid having exceptions. Suggestions? Would like to know what other banks do.

Return to Top
#1530414 - 04/01/11 04:22 PM Re: Rotating Currency Southern gal
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Would like to know what other banks do.

Fire the non-compliant head teller? smile

Return to Top
#1530467 - 04/01/11 04:46 PM Re: Rotating Currency rlcarey
Southern gal Offline
Platinum Poster