Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1362396 - 03/23/10 04:37 PM Question about employee "texting" at her desk.
robby Offline
I am in a small department in the back office of a FI. I recently became an employee's supervisor (I only supervise her mainly to train her to fill in for me when I am out), although my boss has ultimate authority over both of us. Lately it seems like every time I walk past her desk to get to the hallway, she is handling her cellular phone with the slide out key pad exposed. I assume she is text messaging. Since this employee is the first one anyone sees when walking down the hallway or entering our department, I thought she should give a more professional first impression to people entering our department. The President CEO and numerous other senior executives often walk past her and eventually me, before proceeding into my boss's office.

I thought I would discuss the issue with my boss and make sure she has noticed the same activity before speaking to our employee. After the discussion with my boss, I thought a reminder that texting when not on scheduled break is not good office etiquette may be in order. Technically, I don't think texting is covered in the employee handbook.

Does anyone have any other opinions? Any advice would be great.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1362403 - 03/23/10 04:44 PM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. robby
manylayers Offline
Gold Star
manylayers
PA
Since you are new to each other...a friendly "how it's going" session might be the way to do it.

Tell her the things she is doing well...and let her know what needs improving (texting)

It may have been perfectly OK with the person for whom she worked before...so in the interest of a good working relationship...give her a heads up before it gets to be a real problem.

Also, give her the opportunity to give you the same kind of feedback. (and the chance to prepare ahead of time)...you may be surprised at what she has to say about the things she is learning and what will help her do the job you want her to do.

I always found this kind of open communication to be important in my working relationships. It makes me want to work harder for my boss when i know that he/she is interested in my success and improvement too. Ultimately, if i do well, it makes the boss look good too! smile

Return to Top
#1362551 - 03/23/10 07:08 PM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. manylayers
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
plus, if texting isn't covered in the employee handbook, you're going to have a hard time explaining why not to do it in an "official" capacity

Return to Top
#1362604 - 03/23/10 08:06 PM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. HappyGilmore
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
plus, if texting isn't covered in the employee handbook, you're going to have a hard time explaining why not to do it in an "official" capacity

How about - don't do it becasue you're supposed to be working?

Return to Top
#1362619 - 03/23/10 08:20 PM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. califgirl
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
Yeah, what she said!
Last edited by 80's Lady; 03/23/10 08:21 PM. Reason: wrong icon

Return to Top
#1362989 - 03/24/10 03:59 PM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. 80's Lady
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
we have a few employees that abuse their cell phones while at work from time to time. Our manager has spoken to them about it because, as it was mentioned above, they're supposed to be working. What they do on their lunch break is their own business.

Return to Top
#1363094 - 03/24/10 05:09 PM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. madukes
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
We now have a policy that personal cell phones are to be off during work hours. If I need to make a call it is on my break time - and I usually go outside to make the call.

Return to Top
#1363203 - 03/24/10 06:28 PM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. doodles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Our policy reads: "The use of camera cell phones is prohibited. Camera cell phones are not allowed on the premises." Since most cell phones have cameras now, texting is by extension, not allowed.

Return to Top
#1364463 - 03/26/10 01:43 AM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. Truffle Royale
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would say "cell phone use is prohibited." Why draw the line at talking, texting or filming? Use is use. They could also be playing games. The point that was above is, it probably is not work related.

As to the original question, if you are not a supervisor with oversight to the employee, I think the friendly warning is in order but would believe a counseling would be. I think that needs to be the correct supervisor and in the correct capacity. This is especially so if you haven't done this before. There is a right way and a wrong way.

Also, by pointing out to this person that it isn't appropriate, you may well be branded as the tattle teller if the person is then counseled.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1365394 - 03/29/10 03:30 PM Re: Question about employee "texting" at her desk. robby
robby Offline
Several good points and thoughts to consider. Thanks so much for the responses.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry