Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1356 - 04/16/01 04:04 AM PDAs
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
OK, you're in a meeting and a non-associated question about a reg is asked. You didn't bring your FRRS books or laptop since you didn't anticipate this. I've been there.

I am now adding key regulations and commentaries to my Handspring (Palm device), so that I will have a reference with me at these meetings. It isn't perfect, but it looks promising.

I am using Aportis. Most of the documents are >35K with the exception of Reg. Z so memory and access speed isn't a problem.

Is anyone else doing this?

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1357 - 04/17/01 04:20 AM Re: PDAs
Dave M_TCA Online
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
Now that I have more memory (I had to upgrade to Palm IIIxe) I am going to put some of the more often referenced regs into my palm. I also use Aportis but if I do this, I may have pop some $$ for more functionality (bookmarks, etc).

------------------
David J. Mulkerin
Opinions expressed are mine and not my employers, who gets them whether they want them or not.

Return to Top
#1358 - 04/17/01 01:44 AM Re: PDAs
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I tried the free version first and hit roadblocks on keyword searches and bookmarks. So I am trying the other on trial. I think if I use this, it would be worth it. Adding to the value would be a cooperative effort between users who update and share files.

------------------
Andy Zavoina

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1359 - 04/17/01 12:52 PM Re: PDAs
De Vonne Offline
What are these devices you are talking about, where do you get them and how much do they cost?

Return to Top
#1360 - 04/17/01 01:17 PM Re: PDAs
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
As I shared in the MoneyPage forum, Andy sent me a couple of the document files he created. I tested them with I-Silo (a free product). The bookmarks and search features work fine, and the formatting is normal. I-Silo also has a conversion program to convert HTML pages into doc format.

To answer DeVonne's questions, these devices are PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants) - small, handheld computers by such manufacturers as Palm, HandSpring, Compaq, HP, and others. They generally come in two flavors - those that use the Palm OS Operating System and those that use the Windows CE Operating System. The ones Andy has been talking about are the Palm OS based devices. There are a lot of differences of opinion about which devices are better that I won't go into here (you could do an internet search on "handheld operating systems" and probably come up with a lot of information). The devices themselves can run anywhere from $150 - $800 or more (depending on features such as memory, size, color, etc.), but average around $300 for the typical user. Palm OS has a more open source code, and as a result, a much larger population of compatible programs that have been developed. I'm sure others can add to my explanations of these devices.

------------------
Opinions expressed are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Return to Top
#1361 - 04/18/01 02:08 PM Re: PDAs
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I want to test the waters for an expression of interest. Please e-mail me, zavoina@vvm.com, if you would be interested in learning how a PDA could be of assistance to you in your compliance function and if you would be interested in putting regulations and commentaries on your PDA for easy reference in your pocket and at your finger-tips.

This could be a potential magazine article and I would consider putting reg. downloads on my Web site.

------------------
Andy Zavoina

Return to Top
#1362 - 04/22/01 10:42 PM Re: PDAs
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
http://www.vvm.com/~zavoina/cmpl.html

I have DOC files in a PDB format available for download. These are bookmarked by index categories.

Let me know what you think. zavoina@vvm.com

Currently available are:
FCRA
Reg. B
Reg. B Commentary
Reg. E
Reg. E Commentary
Reg. Z
Reg. Z Commentary
RESPA

------------------
Andy Zavoina

Return to Top
#1363 - 04/23/01 03:10 AM Re: PDAs
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
For those interested in exploring this use of your PDA, for the Palm OS Aportis MobileDoc is on sale at PalmGearHQ. Normally the CD version is $30. It is on sale for $9.95 and you can try before you buy.

iSilo is what Jim uses and I believe it is shareware ($12.50), but there is also a free version. Check out iSilo.

Aportis has a free PDF converter (personal ownership, not business) and iSilo reads HTML documents.

------------------
Andy Zavoina

Return to Top
#1364 - 05/01/01 02:49 AM Re: PDAs
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
For those interested, Reg. P is now available. http://www.vvm.com/~zavoina/cmpl.html

------------------
Andy Zavoina

Return to Top
#1365 - 05/20/01 04:47 AM Re: PDAs
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I don't recommend doing audits from the PDA, though that would be an interesting concept in the future.

But for reference, I have added the new Reg. P Exam Manual to my site for those PDA'ers wanting to download it.

------------------
Andy Zavoina

Return to Top
#1366 - 08/06/01 02:39 AM Re: PDAs
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I have added Reg. O to my site for those PDA'ers wanting to download it.

------------------
Andy Zavoina

Return to Top